Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Inn at Harbour Town

My wife and I are going to The Inn at Harbour Town at Hilton Head for a few days in early May for the big 25th. I'll be playing Harbour Town Golf Links and the Ocean Course.

Have any of you played these and do you have any hints?

Thanks.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My wife and I are going to The Inn at Harbour Town at Hilton Head for a few days in early May for the big 25th. I'll be playing Harbour Town Golf Links and the Ocean Course.

Thanks.
    Ocean Course at Kiawah? If so, I played there years ago. Beautiful layout, can see the ocean from more than half the holes IIRC. As with any links-type course, wind matters more than about anything.

Thanks.
    I love HHI. I have a time share at The Players Club, which is ~a mile from Sea Pines Plantation near Coligny Circle, and have been going there since 1983. Lots of great food on the Island and lots of great golf courses on and off the Island. Of course, you have the most famous course right there, plus two more courses in the Sea Pines Plantation. I've played Harbour Town once and the South Course a couple of times, both probably about 10 years ago. As far as advice goes, swing easy and enjoy yourself. Don't worry too much about what you score. If the wind is blowing, you'll probably lose a few golf balls. And if you hit it near an alligator, take his picture from a distance and let him have the ball. He can move faster than you think

If you want to play other courses, call "Last Minute Tee Times". They list most of the courses and you get significant discounts from the listed prices, but not in Sea Pines. You call the night before for a morning tee time. I like both the Arnold Palmer and Davis Love courses, as they are picturesque and "interesting" layouts. Fuzzy Zoeller's Hilton Head National as you approach the island not as much, but it's OK. The other Plantation resort courses on island tend to be flatter and less interesting, perhaps easier, especially Shipyard Plantation.

It may be too early in the season, but if Greg Russell has started his nightly "concerts" under the old oak tree at the harbor at sunset, be sure to take it in for a little while anyway. He is a delight. It's designed for kids of all ages, from 1 to 101.

Again, there is lots of great food. Go hungry, forget your diet. Forget your budget. Bring your credit card. There are deals to be had, especially early in the season and look for the restaurant magazine and the coupons in it. You'll probably find free appetizers and so forth in it. For Italian we like Stellini's. For lunch or brunch, it's hard to beat The Plantation Deli. And Crane's Tavern has the best prime rib in either North or South Carolina. Seafood is all over the place, including right in Harbour Town. All of the places I've mentioned are within 1 mile of the entrance to Sea Pines and are on or just off of Pope Avenue.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And if you hit it near an alligator, take his picture from a distance and let him have the ball. He can move faster than you think
    Careful about these. At Shipyard, I drove right up to one without seeing it (I was focused on looking for my ball along the edge of the fairway) and this massive gator was right in the middle of the fairway with its mouth wide open. I didn't see it until I was out of the cart and about 20 feet away. Scared the @#$#@ out of me -- at first I thought that it was not real because it wasn't moving, just stretched out there with its mouth wide open.

They like to sun themselves. It is not just on the edge of the water hazards.

And do NOT reach in for a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Careful about these. At Shipyard, I drove right up to one without seeing it (I was focused on looking for my ball along the edge of the fairway) and this massive gator was right in the middle of the fairway with its mouth wide open. I didn't see it until I was out of the cart and about 20 feet away. Scared the @#$#@ out of me -- at first I thought that it was not real because it wasn't moving, just stretched out there with its mouth wide open.

They like to sun themselves. It is not just on the edge of the water hazards.

And do NOT reach in for a ball.
    I will never forget the image of my nephew scampering up the 17th fairway on the course at Bald Head Island to get to our cart, with an alligator chasing after him.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I will never forget the image of my nephew scampering up the 17th fairway on the course at Bald Head Island to get to our cart, with an alligator chasing after him.
    Never run in a straight line to get away from a gator. With those short legs they can run straight very fast, but they can't corner worth a darn. So zig-zag in a big pattern or Z and they'll give up pretty quickly.

9F 9F 9F

Never run in a straight line to get away from a gator. With those short legs they can run straight very fast, but they can't corner worth a darn. So zig-zag in a big pattern or Z and they'll give up pretty quickly.
    There was a scene like that in some unfunny comedy but I can't remember who was in it. (Running Zig-Zag to avoid getting hit while being shot at, that is). Maybe some ex-SNL'ers?

I love HHI. I have a time share at The Players Club, which is ~a mile from Sea Pines Plantation near Coligny Circle, and have been going there since 1983. Lots of great food on the Island and lots of great golf courses on and off the Island. Of course, you have the most famous course right there, plus two more courses in the Sea Pines Plantation. I've played Harbour Town once and the South Course a couple of times, both probably about 10 years ago. As far as advice goes, swing easy and enjoy yourself. Don't worry too much about what you score. If the wind is blowing, you'll probably lose a few golf balls. And if you hit it near an alligator, take his picture from a distance and let him have the ball. He can move faster than you think

If you want to play other courses, call "Last Minute Tee Times". They list most of the courses and you get significant discounts from the listed prices, but not in Sea Pines. You call the night before for a morning tee time. I like both the Arnold Palmer and Davis Love courses, as they are picturesque and "interesting" layouts. Fuzzy Zoeller's Hilton Head National as you approach the island not as much, but it's OK. The other Plantation resort courses on island tend to be flatter and less interesting, perhaps easier, especially Shipyard Plantation.

It may be too early in the season, but if Greg Russell has started his nightly "concerts" under the old oak tree at the harbor at sunset, be sure to take it in for a little while anyway. He is a delight. It's designed for kids of all ages, from 1 to 101.

Again, there is lots of great food. Go hungry, forget your diet. Forget your budget. Bring your credit card. There are deals to be had, especially early in the season and look for the restaurant magazine and the coupons in it. You'll probably find free appetizers and so forth in it. For Italian we like Stellini's. For lunch or brunch, it's hard to beat The Plantation Deli. And Crane's Tavern has the best prime rib in either North or South Carolina. Seafood is all over the place, including right in Harbour Town. All of the places I've mentioned are within 1 mile of the entrance to Sea Pines and are on or just off of Pope Avenue.
    Thanks to all and especially for good places to eat. Since I live in WV, but originally from Myrtle, I am especially looking for some great seafood!
    ~rthomas

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ocean Course at Kiawah? If so, I played there years ago. Beautiful layout, can see the ocean from more than half the holes IIRC. As with any links-type course, wind matters more than about anything.
    If you are driving up to Kiawah, my advicef or the ocean course is to not play it, but rather just drive a golf cart around and enjoy the scenery - much less stressful.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I've played Harbour Town about a zillion times.

Oh, you mean IRL, not on Links 386.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

heron point

A couple of years ago we stayed at a condo just off the 11th green of heron point. The first day I sat on the balcony and laughed at people coming through as their approaches and chip shots flew from one side of the green to the other. In the evening I had my only little practice area and I realized I should not have been laughing. From certain areas I could chip with 10 balls and 8 of ten would end up at my feet or in the bunker on the other side. I didn't play the course, but it looked really nice.

The above reflects my golf game as much as the difficulty of the greens, but I thought it would be a fun challenge.

Old Oyster Factory is an institution in Hilton Head. It is about mid island. Really nice atmosphere but relaxed, nice views of the low country, great seafood and hush puppies. Moderate prices. About $20 per entree. The golf courses at Palmetto Dunes are all fun.

Thanks.
    Not for the golf. but the nats and mosquito's are already in full force. just a fyi so you can be comfortable.

Talking Harbour Town

Thanks.
    I have played the Harbour Town course a couple of times. It is not too long, but it is, in effect, very narrow. Fat live oaks are near the entrance to many greens and clearly affect the approach shot. It was a fun course, and FWIW only 17 and 18 are exposed to the winds. It could be a bit stifling in May, although golf carts help.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have played the Harbour Town course a couple of times. It is not too long, but it is, in effect, very narrow. Fat live oaks are near the entrance to many greens and clearly affect the approach shot. It was a fun course, and FWIW only 17 and 18 are exposed to the winds. It could be a bit stifling in May, although golf carts help.

sagegrouse
    I parred 18 when I played it! Hit a nice drive down the middle, pulled the second shot a bit, OK, it drew/hooked too much and ended up left of the green, left of the trap, near the rocks, almost in the ocean. Real pretty chip shot and I made the short putt for par!

9F 9F 9F

I haven't been to HHI in a number of years - it's great to hear that Gregg Russell is still doing his thing at Harbor Town. Great fun - one of the things we looked forward to every year-I've got pictures of my son in his lap!

Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post
    I haven't been to HHI in a number of years - it's great to hear that Gregg Russell is still doing his thing at Harbor Town. Great fun - one of the things we looked forward to every year-I've got pictures of my son in his lap!
    I look forward to taking my granddaught to see Greg Russell. She'll be 17 months old in June, the perfect age to start her off with Greg! Don't think my daughter is going to be able to travel with us this year, I wonder if she'll let us take her with us for an entire week...

9F 9F 9F

Gotta hit the Salty Dog. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Ha! That's where I saw my first "in the wild" alligator. Neat course, too.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I have spent a LOT of time at Hilton Head (my parents have lived there for thirty years and Bev and I have owned homes in Palmetto Dunes and Shipyard). For "routine" food (especially good breakfasts) I strongly recommend the Sunrise Cafe (which is open from breakfast and lunch only). It's a "locals" place, proximate to the Sea Pines end of the toll road. The food is excellent, the price are good, and the service is fine, fun and not touristy.