Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeter: It's just a flesh wound

I was watching the ESPN clip reporting that Derek Jeter will miss today's game at Detroit after hurting his hip. What caught my attention was the commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) report that Jeter was upset to be left off the lineup card and that he wanted to play.

"Of course," the commentator said, "Jeter would say he's okay if he lost a limb."

I started laughing in memory of Monty Python's Black Knight. It made me rush to Youtube to revisit that moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

"It's just a flesh wound!"

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I was watching the ESPN clip reporting that Derek Jeter will miss today's game at Detroit after hurting his hip. What caught my attention was the commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) report that Jeter was upset to be left off the lineup card and that he wanted to play.

"Of course," the commentator said, "Jeter would say he's okay if he lost a limb."

I started laughing in memory of Monty Python's Black Knight. It made me rush to Youtube to revisit that moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

"It's just a flesh wound!"
    He says he's not hurt, it's just stiff. I hope he's right. Maybe if it gets "unstiff", he'll get some pop back in his bat... He's the only starter in the lineup without a home run this year, now that Swisher finally hit one. Even Brett Gardner has 3 dingers.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

I hadn't seen the Black Knight before. That's funny stuff! Thanks for posting. Sporks to you!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    He says he's not hurt, it's just stiff. I hope he's right. Maybe if it gets "unstiff", he'll get some pop back in his bat... He's the only starter in the lineup without a home run this year, now that Swisher finally hit one. Even Brett Gardner has 3 dingers.

I hadn't seen the Black Knight before. That's funny stuff! Thanks for posting. Sporks to you!
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
    Please don't start, or I'll never get any work done.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Please don't start, or I'll never get any work done.
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

King Arthur: O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery.
    Leader of The Knights who say NI!: One that looks nice.
    King Arthur: Of course.
    Leader of The Knights who say NI!: And not too expensive.
    King Arthur: Yes.

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.
    Indeed Camion, but WTI Crude is now trading at 98.35 so maybe, just maybe things are starting to turn around and the shrubbery will again be affordable.

jeter's been so bad this year, it's like he's swinging a herring at a tree out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    jeter's been so bad this year, it's like he's swinging a herring at a tree out there.
    Despite all his protestations, it seems clear that Jeter can no longer be a productive hitter. Ordinarily you might say a 120 AB sample size is not enough to make a judgment - you get robbed of 3 or 4 hits and you're hitting .260 instead of .290. But if you've watched most of his at-bats this year, you can just see that he is not hitting the ball hard and he's missing pitches that in years past he would drive to center or right center.

The Yankees have a huge problem on their hands. If his name were anything other than Derek Jeter, he would be dropped to 8 or 9 in the lineup. Jeter has too much pride to go quietly to the bottom of the order. And unless Posada can get his average to a respectable range soon, they'll have a similar problem with benching him in favor of Chavez or Jones.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Despite all his protestations, it seems clear that Jeter can no longer be a productive hitter. Ordinarily you might say a 120 AB sample size is not enough to make a judgment - you get robbed of 3 or 4 hits and you're hitting .260 instead of .290. But if you've watched most of his at-bats this year, you can just see that he is not hitting the ball hard and he's missing pitches that in years past he would drive to center or right center.

The Yankees have a huge problem on their hands. If his name were anything other than Derek Jeter, he would be dropped to 8 or 9 in the lineup. Jeter has too much pride to go quietly to the bottom of the order. And unless Posada can get his average to a respectable range soon, they'll have a similar problem with benching him in favor of Chavez or Jones.
    Listening to the game this afternoon vs. Detroit, Chaves broke his toe as he legged out a triple. Not sure how he did it running the bases. He was playing 3rd, giving ARod a day off, or he was. ARod went 2 for 2 after he came into the game. Nunez, playing short for Jeter, made a throwing error on a ball he charged that cost the Yanks 2 runs.

9F 9F 9F

Hey, what's that you're waving at Ozzie?!

Listening to the game this afternoon vs. Detroit, Chaves broke his toe as he legged out a triple. Not sure how he did it running the bases. He was playing 3rd, giving ARod a day off, or he was. ARod went 2 for 2 after he came into the game. Nunez, playing short for Jeter, made a throwing error on a ball he charged that cost the Yanks 2 runs.
    Losing Chavez hurts. I don't think the Yankees need to bench Jeter for Nunez - just drop him in the order. Coincidentally, this article from SI makes that exact point - it's a well-written essay on the Jeter issue, which I hadn't read when I posted originally about Jeter.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey, what's that you're waving at Ozzie?!
    I'm hoping he's doing some sort of Monty Python routine and not really talking to/at me. If I'm wrong, a pox on his house and let the mods bring their wrath upon him

9F 9F 9F

Losing Chavez hurts. I don't think the Yankees need to bench Jeter for Nunez - just drop him in the order. Coincidentally, this article from SI makes that exact point - it's a well-written essay on the Jeter issue, which I hadn't read when I posted originally about Jeter.
    I think the Yankees were just resting Jeter today to let his hip heal a bit. Chavez has been a most pleasant surprise for what he's brought both offensively and defensively when he's played. Hope he's not out too long.

9F 9F 9F

I'm hoping he's doing some sort of Monty Python routine and not really talking to/at me. If I'm wrong, a pox on his house and let the mods bring their wrath upon him
    That is indeed an excerpt from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

As is weezie's reference to what he's waving at you.

(I believe the quote is: "I wave my private parts at you, English pig dog.")

I can't believe I remember that sort of stuff from a movie from 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yeah, you're an impressive old-type person. I, on the other hand, only remember from what I was told in the cradle.
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That is indeed an excerpt from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

As is weezie's reference to what he's waving at you.

(I believe the quote is: "I wave my private parts at you, English pig dog.")

The best part of the Black Knight scene is his declaration at the end of the combat, sans arms and legs:

"We'll call it a draw."

jeter

I don't think the Yankees need to bench Jeter for Nunez - just drop him in the order.
    The Jeter vs. Nunez comparison is interesting. As of this moment, Jeter is hitting .250 with no power and only a few walks. His OPS is a dreadful .577 (after a career .834). On the other hand, Nunez is batting .385 with a .900-plus OPS (albiet in limited at bats).

The problem is that Nunez already has five errors in limited chances -- he's fielding under .800!

Jeter (who has one error in far more innings this season) led all regular shortstops in baseball last season with just five errors. That's one reason he won the gold glove at short, even though his range is near the bottom at the position. But managers (who vote on the gold glove) value dependality more than anything else.

Nunez today had two hits and two errors. That's unacceptable.

Here's my solution:

(1) Jeter stays at short, but drops down to 8th in the lineup -- at least until he starts to hit better.

(2) Nunez temporarily replaces Posada at DH -- at least until Nunez's OPS comes down. Let Gardner, Nunez bat 1-2 in front of Tex, A-Roid and Cano.

And just to return to our Python roots, I read all the stuff about Jeter's decline and I think about the "Bring out your dead scene"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

"I'm not dead yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The best part of the Black Knight scene is his declaration at the end of the combat, sans arms and legs:

"We'll call it a draw."
    Agreed. So many good scenes from that movie.

Please spare me the pox on my house, I'd never be anything less than gracious to the mighty Oz.

It was simply an addition to quotes from a great flick. Certainly nothing malicious intended. I'll leave you with, "First you must find... another shrubbery! (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!”