Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Jeter: It's just a flesh wound

    I was watching the ESPN clip reporting that Derek Jeter will miss today's game at Detroit after hurting his hip. What caught my attention was the commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) report that Jeter was upset to be left off the lineup card and that he wanted to play.

    "Of course," the commentator said, "Jeter would say he's okay if he lost a limb."

    I started laughing in memory of Monty Python's Black Knight. It made me rush to Youtube to revisit that moment:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

    "It's just a flesh wound!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I was watching the ESPN clip reporting that Derek Jeter will miss today's game at Detroit after hurting his hip. What caught my attention was the commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) report that Jeter was upset to be left off the lineup card and that he wanted to play.

    "Of course," the commentator said, "Jeter would say he's okay if he lost a limb."

    I started laughing in memory of Monty Python's Black Knight. It made me rush to Youtube to revisit that moment:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

    "It's just a flesh wound!"
    He says he's not hurt, it's just stiff. I hope he's right. Maybe if it gets "unstiff", he'll get some pop back in his bat... He's the only starter in the lineup without a home run this year, now that Swisher finally hit one. Even Brett Gardner has 3 dingers.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

    I hadn't seen the Black Knight before. That's funny stuff! Thanks for posting. Sporks to you!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    He says he's not hurt, it's just stiff. I hope he's right. Maybe if it gets "unstiff", he'll get some pop back in his bat... He's the only starter in the lineup without a home run this year, now that Swisher finally hit one. Even Brett Gardner has 3 dingers.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

    I hadn't seen the Black Knight before. That's funny stuff! Thanks for posting. Sporks to you!
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
    Please don't start, or I'll never get any work done.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Please don't start, or I'll never get any work done.
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist....

    King Arthur: O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery.
    Leader of The Knights who say NI!: One that looks nice.
    King Arthur: Of course.
    Leader of The Knights who say NI!: And not too expensive.
    King Arthur: Yes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.
    Indeed Camion, but WTI Crude is now trading at 98.35 so maybe, just maybe things are starting to turn around and the shrubbery will again be affordable.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
    Hey, what's that you're waving at Ozzie?!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey, what's that you're waving at Ozzie?!
    I'm hoping he's doing some sort of Monty Python routine and not really talking to/at me. If I'm wrong, a pox on his house and let the mods bring their wrath upon him
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm hoping he's doing some sort of Monty Python routine and not really talking to/at me. If I'm wrong, a pox on his house and let the mods bring their wrath upon him
    That is indeed an excerpt from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

    As is weezie's reference to what he's waving at you.

    (I believe the quote is: "I wave my private parts at you, English pig dog.")

    I can't believe I remember that sort of stuff from a movie from 1975.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can't believe I remember that sort of stuff from a movie from 1975.
    Yeah, you're an impressive old-type person. I, on the other hand, only remember from what I was told in the cradle.
    Weird.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That is indeed an excerpt from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.

    As is weezie's reference to what he's waving at you.

    (I believe the quote is: "I wave my private parts at you, English pig dog.")

    I can't believe I remember that sort of stuff from a movie from 1975.
    The best part of the Black Knight scene is his declaration at the end of the combat, sans arms and legs:

    "We'll call it a draw."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The best part of the Black Knight scene is his declaration at the end of the combat, sans arms and legs:

    "We'll call it a draw."
    Agreed. So many good scenes from that movie.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm hoping he's doing some sort of Monty Python routine and not really talking to/at me. If I'm wrong, a pox on his house and let the mods bring their wrath upon him
    Please spare me the pox on my house, I'd never be anything less than gracious to the mighty Oz.

    It was simply an addition to quotes from a great flick. Certainly nothing malicious intended. I'll leave you with, "First you must find... another shrubbery! (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Please spare me the pox on my house, I'd never be anything less than gracious to the mighty Oz.

    It was simply an addition to quotes from a great flick. Certainly nothing malicious intended. I'll leave you with, "First you must find... another shrubbery! (dramatic chord) Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!
    That's what I thought, and why I didn't give you any negative sporks when I saw your comment! In fact, I think I'll give you some positive one's after I post this!

    No way do I DH with Nunez. Jorge still has his bat speed and of his first, what? 10 hits, 6 were home runs. Now he's starting to hit solid line drives up the middle for base hits too, so his stroke is coming back to "normal". Jorge is and will be fine. And yeah, I'm willing to give Jete a little longer rope at the top of the order before moving him down. I'm sure he'll suggest it himself when the time is right to "take the pressure off" of Girardi having to make the decision. He is, after all, The Captain.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No way do I DH with Nunez. Jorge still has his bat speed and of his first, what? 10 hits, 6 were home runs. Now he's starting to hit solid line drives up the middle for base hits too, so his stroke is coming back to "normal". Jorge is and will be fine.
    I'm not quite as confident that he'll be fine, but I agree, other than for the sake of giving Jorge a day off or two to clear his head or give him a wakeup call or whatever, I wouldn't consider Nunez a DH candidate at all. It is a shame, if unsurprising, that Chavez got hurt. He's a guy I would give some DH time to, so losing him while he was hitting well hurts.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    There is a guy named Jorge Vazquez in the minors that can rake(at least at the AAA level) but no way in heck are they going to bring him up to replace Jorge. Jorge isn't going anywhere as long as he's healthy. Same with Jeter unless his numbers drop to the 220-230 range. It's getting painful to watch Jetes play like this for this long. Time waits for no one.

  18. #18

    nunez

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I'm not quite as confident that he'll be fine, but I agree, other than for the sake of giving Jorge a day off or two to clear his head or give him a wakeup call or whatever, I wouldn't consider Nunez a DH candidate at all. It is a shame, if unsurprising, that Chavez got hurt. He's a guy I would give some DH time to, so losing him while he was hitting well hurts.
    Dismissing Nunez as a DH is an example of old-time stereotypes. He doesn't look like the kind of re-tread slugger that usually gets the DH role, but (1) he's a liability on defense and (2) a more effective hitter than Posada or anyone else the Yankees have available to DH.

    Currently, Nunez's offensive numbers are .385/.429 (OBP)/.538 (slug) -- .967 OPS. That's currently the best on the Yankee team. By contrast, Posada is .154/.238/.374 -- .611. Even with the home runs, Posada's slugging numbers are significantly lower than Nunez.

    Now, I understand that Nunez has compiled his gaudy stats in a limited number of at bats. I doubt he's a .900 OPS guy in the long term. Still, his career OPS is .740 and he was in that range in triple A ...

    All I'm saying is that while Posada is struggling, give Nunez some extended moments at DH to see if he can sustain his high level of performance. If not, go back to Posada, then think about calling up Vasquez (who was great in preseason for the Yankees and is currently .892 OPS in Scranton) or Montera (who is batting .372 in Scranton, although with little power).

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Dismissing Nunez as a DH is an example of old-time stereotypes. He doesn't look like the kind of re-tread slugger that usually gets the DH role, but (1) he's a liability on defense and (2) a more effective hitter than Posada or anyone else the Yankees have available to DH.

    Currently, Nunez's offensive numbers are .385/.429 (OBP)/.538 (slug) -- .967 OPS. That's currently the best on the Yankee team. By contrast, Posada is .154/.238/.374 -- .611. Even with the home runs, Posada's slugging numbers are significantly lower than Nunez.

    Now, I understand that Nunez has compiled his gaudy stats in a limited number of at bats. I doubt he's a .900 OPS guy in the long term. Still, his career OPS is .740 and he was in that range in triple A ...

    All I'm saying is that while Posada is struggling, give Nunez some extended moments at DH to see if he can sustain his high level of performance. If not, go back to Posada, then think about calling up Vasquez (who was great in preseason for the Yankees and is currently .892 OPS in Scranton) or Montera (who is batting .372 in Scranton, although with little power).
    Fan - Nunez is a career .274 hitter in the minors and never hit more than 9 HR's in a single season. That's not the kind of guy I want DH'ing. The numbers he has posted thus far are impressive, but they're based on 13 AB's. He's an o-fer away from a .294 average. I think he has a decent future ahead of him but I want Jorge in there at least for the time being.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Fan - Nunez is a career .274 hitter in the minors and never hit more than 9 HR's in a single season. That's not the kind of guy I want DH'ing. The numbers he has posted thus far are impressive, but they're based on 13 AB's. He's an o-fer away from a .294 average. I think he has a decent future ahead of him but I want Jorge in there at least for the time being.
    All of this DH talk makes it harder to watch Lance Berkman return to his MVP caliber production for St. Louis. Current OPS is 1.237. He's 35. This can't last, right?
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Similar Threads

  1. Derek Jeter to the Cincy Reds?!?!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
  2. The Jeter Spectacle
    By JohnGalt in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 09:04 AM
  3. Tarheels lose their own flesh and blood
    By Pacer in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
  4. Writing on Flesh, Amusing Surgens
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
  5. Derek Jeter
    By mr. synellinden in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •