Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Calhoun Hit With Sanctions!

Katz reporting Cahoun found to have failed to create atmosphere of compliance, no post-season ban, sanctions to be announced later, assistant coach gets 2 year show cause.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Katz reporting Cahoun found to have failed to create atmosphere of compliance, no post-season ban, sanctions to be announced later, assistant coach gets 2 year show cause.
    What are the sanctions likely to be, then? A couple of lost scholarships, probation?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wow this would be a big hit to their program. It also might help us with the recruitment of Drummond! Still a long shot but one can dream.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6146656

Announcement at 3:00.

He might skate with a citation.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Wow this would be a big hit to their program. It also might help us with the recruitment of Drummond! Still a long shot but one can dream.
    I'd be more worried that Carolina would pick up Drummond because of these sanctions. Or are we considered his top second choice?

Sadly, this is a slap on the wrist for Calhoun and CONn program. CRIME PAYS (again)!

I was thinking the same thing. However, what I've read seems to be "UCONN, then everyone else." No real secondary leaders. Also, he seems likely one-and-done, so maybe not the impact he might have been. Still, would be nice... (though my money is still on Parker).

Given the long repeated history of issues at UCON it is certainly a possibility of stronger action. But I'm not holding my breath. Losing a couple scholarships for a couple of years seems most likely. I sure hope that it is more than just a wimpy "citation."

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Sadly, this is a slap on the wrist for Calhoun and CONn program. CRIME PAYS (again)!
    This, if true, suggests similarly inconsequential penalties are likely for UNC (Davis/football) and Kentucky (when Calipari is eventually caught).

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    This, if true, suggests similarly inconsequential penalties are likely for UNC (Davis/football) and Kentucky (when Calipari is eventually caught).
    Don't forget Pearl and UT.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    The player for whom the infraction was committed never played for the program, so the infractions seem more like a lose for everybody...not sure how crime payed in this situation....
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The player for whom the infraction was committed never played for the program, so the infractions seem more like a lose for everybody...not sure how crime payed in this situation....
    That's like saying it's ok to rob a bank as long as you quickly destroy the money afterwards. Whether or not he has anything to show for it, he still violated NCAA rules...and deserves punishment.

Eventually, Calhoun. Eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    That's like saying it's ok to rob a bank as long as you quickly destroy the money afterwards. Whether or not he has anything to show for it, he still violated NCAA rules...and deserves punishment.

Eventually, Calhoun. Eventually.
    I don't disagree, I was simply contending that Uconn never even received the benefits of this cheating, much like a robber who stole a bunch of counterfeit bills.

The person I actually feel bad for is the kid...nate miles, who had looked up to these coaches and probably was looking for a chance to turn his life around and never got that chance...given violating a restraining order is pretty bad...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by tylervinyard View Post
    I'd be more worried that Carolina would pick up Drummond because of these sanctions. Or are we considered his top second choice?
    Well if unc were to sign Drummond then that makes them even less likely to sign Parker. Of course Parker could go to Ohio State or somewhere else and Duke misses out on both but I prefer to look at the positive outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I don't disagree, I was simply contending that Uconn never even received the benefits of this cheating, much like a robber who stole a bunch of counterfeit bills.

The person I actually feel bad for is the kid...nate miles, who had looked up to these coaches and probably was looking for a chance to turn his life around and never got that chance...given violating a restraining order is pretty bad...
    It's also like Sideshow Bob asking if they award Nobel Prizes for "attempted chemistry."

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    It's also like Sideshow Bob asking if they award Nobel Prizes for "attempted chemistry."
    Or Homer asking whether he's been awarded a Nobel Prize for "what? my whole deal?"

Well if unc were to sign Drummond then that makes them even less likely to sign Parker. Of course Parker could go to Ohio State or somewhere else and Duke misses out on both but I prefer to look at the positive outcomes.
    When you put it that way, let Drummond go to UNC. I'd much rather have Parker.

My prediction for the penalty Calhoun will receive:

NCAA GIVES CALHOUN 50 LASHES (w/ a wet noodle)

Looks like the NCAA kicked some arse and broke some hearts...sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Looks like the NCAA kicked some arse and broke some hearts...sort of.

That's honestly a lot more than I expected. I thought it was just going to be an admonishing from the NCAA. I don't think the reduction of 13 to 12 scholarships will be a big deal, but I don't know UConn's numbers that closely over the next few years. At least Calhoun has to sit a few games. Seems fair enough, I guess.

3 games for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance... I don't know. That sounds pretty lenient. And 13-12 scholarships in the long run isn't a big deal considering most schools never get out 13 scholarships. The people who suffer the most are probably the practice players who usually get the extra scholarships.