Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Purvis

Duke doesn't consider Purvis a "luxury recruit".

Purvis does not and will not consider UNC.

This is pretty interesting.

I was talking to my neighbor (a UNC fan) a few months ago about hoops and this guy's name came up. My neighbor has seen him play here in Raleigh several times and was raving about how unbelievably good he is. He also remarked at that time that word on the street was Purvis was still really high on Duke which to me didn't make much sense since he had already committed to Louisville. But for some reason that stuck in the back of my mind and made me wonder if Purvis might not be that firm on them.

Rasheed Sulaimon comment

From twitter - Jason Jordan who works for ESPN Rise (high school athletics)

JayJayESPNRise Jason Jordan
    My man @sheed_01 tells me that: "Next summer @tonyparker32 & either @rpurvis_44 or @phenom15balla will be w/ me @ Duke." #toprecruiter

Making it sound like Tony Parker is solid and Rodney/Shabazz are possible?

Also interested to note that Rodney retweeted this comment which seems like a positive sign that he is at least interested.

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    Yeah, sorry to sound a little narky in my previous post, but I was responding to someone who has an obvious UNC interest as they stated Shabazz and Purvis were both UNC bound. But yes, getting Purvis would be great, he seems like an elite talent.
    I have not interest in UNC, I despise them..There is no bigger Duke fan in the world than me. I was just letting you know what I have read. I would love for Shabazz and Purvis to come to Duke. How are you going to say getting Purvis would be great? didnt you say we didnt have room for him??

Quote Originally Posted by kylecpalmer View Post
    I have not interest in UNC, I despise them..There is no bigger Duke fan in the world than me. I was just letting you know what I have read. I would love for Shabazz and Purvis to come to Duke. How are you going to say getting Purvis would be great? didnt you say we didnt have room for him??
    I was attempting to be agreeable with you and rectify my misinterpretation of your previous quotes by being pleasant...sorry if you feel I was being patronizing. It was not my intentions and I do hope that you were not offended by assumption of your like or dislike of UNC basketball.

Purvis would be 'great' because he is an elite talent. Any time an elite talent wishes to grace the Cameron Indoor wearing the home jersey I am all for it. I do still think that Duke has a very loaded back court for the foreseeable future and hope that an interior defender finds his way onto the recruiting pledges for 2012.

If Purvis wants to come to Duke, find room for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    If Purvis wants to come to Duke, find room for him.
    Hmm short, simple, and completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

(4) DeAndre Daniels might not come. Or he could come and be one-and-done. Frankly, I don't see him as that level of recruit, but there are rumblings on the recruiting circuit that that is his plan. That would explain why K is anxious to bring him in, despite the presence of so many other longterm answers on the wing.
    I have said for a while now he would be one and done or at most 2 and done. Many think his game translates well to the NBA. He is a good one on one player that is very good at scoring. Will he be a stud? Idk but he will get drafted and have a chance. Especially if next years NBA class is as loaded as its supposed to be then that means he could go to a team where he doesnt have to start (Lakers or Celtics who both are wanting to get some youth to be ready to replace the age)

I'm sorry, but those of you that think Coach K wouldn't want Purvis, or that committed recruits or current players are good enough that Duke doesn't need Purvis, are out of their mind.

If you can get the #1 position player, at any position, you take him. You make room for him. You don't turn down players of this caliber.

And you certainly don't claim that you aren't interested in a player when you've already offered him a scholarship previously.

It just smells like sour grapes, except that it's pre-emptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    I'm sorry, but those of you that think Coach K wouldn't want Purvis, or that committed recruits or current players are good enough that Duke doesn't need Purvis, are out of their mind.

If you can get the #1 position player, at any position, you take him. You make room for him. You don't turn down players of this caliber.
    Didn't K do just that when Myck Kabango (sp?) de-committed from Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Didn't K do just that when Myck Kabango (sp?) de-committed from Texas?
    Was Kabongo the the top ranked PG?

And you certainly don't claim that you aren't interested in a player when you've already offered him a scholarship previously.

How do you "make room"? By kicking players off the team like Calipari? I don't think Coach K would go that route. I'm not trying to be combative; it's just an honest question. Obviously, I think everybody would love to have Rodney on the team if possible. It's just that people are suggesting that our greater need is at the PF/C. Assuming Rivers is one and done (which you never know; HB was #1 player in his class and came back and so did Sullinger; also CBA could change), in 2012-13, we'll have:

Guards:
    1.) Cook
    2.) Thornton
    3.) Curry
    4.) Dawkins
    5.) Sulaimon

Wings:
    6.) Murphy
    7.) Gbinije
    8.) Hairston
    9.) Daniels?

PF/C:
    10.) MP3
    11.) Kelly
    12.) MP2?

If Parker commits, no more scholarships available...If Austin comes back, no more scholarships available. Obviously, MP2 could be gone and Curry could graduate potentially and Daniels hasn't yet committed. If we don't get Parker, would you feel confident with MP3 and Kelly holding down the 4/5? I guess Hairston/Daniels/Murphy could take time at the 4, but it's thin in the post area while we're pretty stacked at the guard slots.

I trust Coach K to know what is best for the team, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Was Kabongo the the top ranked PG?
    Kabongo is the #2 PG (Cook is ranked #8 PG). Purvis is ranked as the #2 SG by Scout in his class.

I'm not sure what Coach K's philosophy is but I like for Duke to develop players who become senior leaders. I think it will be hard to keep 4-year players if you are constantly recruiting over them with one and done players. I'd rather go after some depth at center and allow, our current players/recruits to develop instead of having a revolving door for players who don't even unpack their bags so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke doesn't consider Purvis a "luxury recruit".

Purvis does not and will not consider UNC.
    UNC never considered Purvis.

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position? And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position? And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?

The 4-year guys are still around and very important.

Class of 2010
    Jon Scheyer
    Brian Zoubek
    Lance Thomas
    (Gerald Henderson left early)

Class of 2011
    Kyle Singler
    Nolan Smith

...and there are certainly others in the program who are likely to be there 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The 4-year guys are still around and very important.

Class of 2010
    Jon Scheyer
    Brian Zoubek
    Lance Thomas
    (Gerald Henderson left early)

Class of 2011
    Kyle Singler
    Nolan Smith

...and there are certainly others in the program who are likely to be there 4 years.

Again, you are off target and are trying to deflect. Those guys are gone. Who is the NS or KS on this team? You will need a player to rapidly improve to provide the consistency and leadership those two players gave you. Next year you expect a freshman to do that for you. BIG CHANGE. Will this change in philosophy lead to less consistency over time?

Again, you are off target and are trying to deflect. Those guys are gone. Who is the NS or KS on this team? You will need a player to rapidly improve to provide the consistency and leadership those two players gave you. Next year you expect a freshman to do that for you. BIG CHANGE. Will this change in philosophy lead to less consistency over time?
    Not trying to "deflect" at all.

Just addressing your point, which was false.

It sometimes happens that a particular senior class is lacking or small in numbers. That's certainly true for Duke with the class of 2012, has been true on other occasions at Duke, and plenty of other schools.

That doesn't at all mean that Duke has gone away from 4-year players. There are plenty of 4-year players in the program.

Ebbs and flows my friend. I wouldn't generalize too much.

You are right, we don't have those same types of senior leaders for next year, but that has happened in the past. After JJ/Sheld graduated we have young teams led by non-seniors: Demarcus, McBob, paulus, etc. Then came the Scheyer/Zoubs/LT class, and of course last year's senior class. Coach K is adapting to the evolving nature of college ball and recruiting more short-term players, but I expect over time we will continue to develop 4 year players and have a veteran-core.

For one season, we're short on seniors. In 2012-13, we'll have at least Dawkins, Kelly and Curry as seniors and four year players (Curry sort of only three, although he certainly played a role on the 2010 team). In 2013-14, Hairston and Thornton will be seniors, as well as a stable of people from this incoming class who will be juniors - Cook, Gbinije, Plumlee III, possibly Murphy/Daniels. Most of them, I would wager, will also be senior leaders the next season. There's plenty of consistency to be seen on the roster, and if Coach wants to add some supremely talented players who may be around for a shorter period of time to help that bunch out, more power to him.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

False. Steve Robinson recruited Rodney very hard until it became obvious he wasn't going to attend UNC.

I really think Purvis goes to State. Why would he want to go to Duke when Duke is already stacked at his position?
    You could very well be right. State offers a lot to Rodney. One of the original reasons Rodney chose Louisville was because Duke's backcourt was going to be too crowded and he got the blessing from his grandmother to go to school out of state. He's a family-oriented kid though and has always wanted to be close to home. State could win out in that they offer both things Rodney wants. However, Duke is and will be a huge factor in his recruitment.

And.. "make room for him"? Recruiting over players is usually frowned upon around here. If Purvis does choose Duke, will you lose any of your 2012 recruits? Do you lose any current players to transfer? I understand all of these things have been discussed here, but if Purvis chooses to go to Duke, it will truly confirm K's change of philosophy when it comes to recruiting. He is now recruiting one and dones and he maybe recruiting over the top of players. Where are the 4 year guys that gave Duke the consistency and the leadership?
    I agree with you here too to an extent. However, while schools like Duke and UNC don't "make room" for players, they also don't "recruit over" players. When kids choose to attend the elite schools, they understand that there will always be serious competition for minutes.