Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Purvis

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Uhh lol I dont get it... One of our recruits from 2012 said that their dream school was Duke. I couldnt remember who it was.
    I think that was Sulaimon.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/r...aimon-to-duke/

Sulaimon grew up a Duke fan and he can now play for his dream school.
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...63642860352651

Sulaimon always talked about Duke and was honored when Krzyzewski offered him a scholarship at the very beginning of January.

"It's always been No. 1 to him," [Sulaimon's coach] Lowe said. "He said he wants to continue working on his game to keep pushing and pushing, and he's always done that to be able to get offered at Duke.
    And Landon Lucas, who we scouted a bit but didn't offer, basically said the same thing...
    Last edited by Bluedog; 05-02-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add quote

scholarship numbers

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke is/has been in contact with Purvis ... It will be interesting to see how this whole thing progresses. The scholarship numbers are certainly getting tight...
    I agree that the scholarship numbers are interesting. As it stands at this moment, Duke had 12 scholarship players committed for 2011-12 ... and just one of them (Miles Plumlee) is a senior. If DeAndre Daniels commits, that would push the number to the maximum of 13. And Coach K already has Rasheed Sulaiman committed for 2012-13.

That would appear to preclude the possibility of adding ANYBODY else in next year';s class (if Daniels comes).

Of course, we all know it's not going to work that way. There are a number of possibilities to open up scholarships for 2012-13:

(1) Austin Rivers is almost certainly a one-and-done player. I'd love to think he'll stay four years ... or even two, but we all know he's 99 percent certain to leave after next season.

That's one (Shabazz Muhammad??)

(2) Mason Plumlee is a potential departee after his junior season. He's been rated a borderline lottery pick the last two years. If he has the kind of junior season we all hope he can have, it's hard to see him not being a lottery lock next season.

That's two (Tony Parker???)

(3) Seth Curry could graduate will his class. He should be on track to graduate in the spring of 2013. He would still have one more year of eligibility remaining, but would he take it?

(4) DeAndre Daniels might not come. Or he could come and be one-and-done. Frankly, I don't see him as that level of recruit, but there are rumblings on the recruiting circuit that that is his plan. That would explain why K is anxious to bring him in, despite the presence of so many other longterm answers on the wing.

Either way, that's potentially No. 4

(5) Somebody may despair of the playing-time crunch and transfer. I hate to suggest the possibity, but we've seen if before -- plenty of times. Outsiders have been speculating about Andre leaving since before last season. Actually, I think he's in position to play a lot -- even to start in three-guard alignment -- but if he gets squeezed out with all the other backcourt talent next season.

That's potentially No. 5

If even half of these scenarios play out (No. 1 is very likely; No. 2 very possible), K would be remiss in not preparing for the eventuality. And he's not remiss.

As Lefty Driesell once said when one of his alums raised a similar concern "Ah kin count."

I'm sure K can too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think that was Sulaimon.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/02/r...aimon-to-duke/

And Landon Lucas, who we scouted a bit but didn't offer, basically said the same thing...
    Yup it was... and I just read that Purvis grew up a unc fan and is freinds with Reggie Bullock

I would rather see him in red than that other blue....

Yup it was... and I just read that Purvis grew up a unc fan and is freinds with Reggie Bullock
    Rodney won't be attending UNC for college.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Rodney won't be attending UNC for college.
    I see you've added the qualifier "for college." So he may be attending UNC for other reasons, e.g. NBA development?

Seriously though, as good as he is I see us so loaded with small guys - K knows what he's doing so I'm not too worried either way.

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    Hard to say no to a top 10 recruit but in the end two words will prevent Purvis coming to Duke...Rasheed Sulaimon.
    Why would Rasheed Sulaimon keep him from coming to Duke? Purvis could play the point and Sulaimon the 2. Purvis is more of a combo guard anyway...with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry

Quote Originally Posted by kylecpalmer View Post
    Why would Rasheed Sulaimon keep him from coming to Duke? Purvis could play the point and Sulaimon the 2. Purvis is more of a combo guard anyway...with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry
    I'm hoping you're just joking; but just in case, what are you basing your theory on? And FWIW, I think it was stated in a previous thread that Rodney does not have a desire to go to UNC despite growing up as a UNC fan; and the fact that UNC wasn't listed as one his choices in the espn link IMO lends credence to that.

Was Purvis the kid who said his favorite team growing up was Duke??
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Are you saying he makes you nervous?
    Uhh lol I dont get it... One of our recruits from 2012 said that their dream school was Duke. I couldnt remember who it was.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervis_Ellison

Nickname: "Never Nervous Pervis"

I still shed a tear when I think of that game.

Was Purvis the kid who said his favorite team growing up was Duke??
    Are you saying he makes you nervous?
    Uhh lol I dont get it...
    I guess you're too young to remember 1986 and Never Nervous Pervis (Ellison). I was making a joke off the similarity of his first name.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

According to JayJayEspnRise...Sheed has been recruiting Purvis hard to Duke

I guess you're too young to remember 1986 and Never Nervous Pervis (Ellison). I was making a joke off the similarity of his first name.
    Yeah, I gotcha the first time, Oz. But I'm an old guy, too.

You know, it's kind of nice in a way to see that game pass from the awareness of some fans. It was among the most disappointing of all our championship losses.

One of my goals is to outlive mention of the 1974 Duke--UNC 8-points-17 seconds--Walter Davis bankshot game. And we're making progress. Billy Packer, who used to mention it a few times per year, is mostly gone from the air. And now, Woody Durham, who also mentioned the game frequently, has retired.

Some old memories are best forgotten or buried.

Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...s/_/class/2012

Rodney Purvis:Shooting Guard, 6'4, 185 lbs

Rasheed Sulaimon: Shooting Guard, 6'3, 175 lbs

Looks reasonably similar doesn't it? Add to Sulaimon in the rotation Cook, Thornton, Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije and possibly Rivers and Duke will have a fair bit of competition for minutes in 2012-13. Hopefully that answers your question.

In regards to your comment: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...if that makes you sleep better at night, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, I gotcha the first time, Oz. But I'm an old guy, too.

You know, it's kind of nice in a way to see that game pass from the awareness of some fans. It was among the most disappointing of all our championship losses.

One of my goals is to outlive mention of the 1974 Duke--UNC 8-points-17 seconds--Walter Davis bankshot game. And we're making progress. Billy Packer, who used to mention it a few times per year, is mostly gone from the air. And now, Woody Durham, who also mentioned the game frequently, has retired.

Some old memories are best forgotten or buried.
    Now why did you have to go and ruin a perfectly good evening and bring up THAT game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ahh got ya. Yea I was born 4 years later and didnt get into basketball till the late 90's

Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...s/_/class/2012

Looks reasonably similar doesn't it? Add to Sulaimon in the rotation Cook, Thornton, Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije and possibly Rivers and Duke will have a fair bit of competition for minutes in 2012-13. Hopefully that answers your question.

Purvis would translate to a pg in college and possibly the NBA though so your point about him and Rasheed playing the same spot does not matter. Also Rivers will be gone, Gbinji is a SF and Dawkins will play SG and SF. So that just leaves Cook and Thornton. Also as a side note some would say Purvis would play over Thornton and even if he did not there is nothing wrong with him sitting his freshmen year.

Ahh got ya. Yea I was born 4 years later and didnt get into basketball till the late 90's

Purvis would translate to a pg in college and possibly the NBA though so your point about him and Rasheed playing the same spot does not matter. Also Rivers will be gone, Gbinji is a SF and Dawkins will play SG and SF. So that just leaves Cook and Thornton. Also as a side note some would say Purvis would play over Thornton and even if he did not there is nothing wrong with him sitting his freshmen year.
    When Purvis committed to Louisville, I recall an article where he stated that Duke's back court depth was a factor in his choice. Therefore I do believe the depth will still play a role for a top 10 recruit wanting to play immediately, just my believe in relation to his initial decision to commit to Louv. My hope is that by 2012-13 either Cook or Thornton has gained control of pg duties and that Duke puts more stock into Seniors Curry and Dawkins than a freshman. If Purvis wants to come despite rotation concerns that would be great. But adding another guard for 2012 should not be the priority over a rebounding interior player.

When Purvis committed to Louisville, I recall an article where he stated that Duke's back court depth was a factor in his choice. Therefore I do believe the depth will still play a role for a top 10 recruit wanting to play immediately, just my believe in relation to his initial decision to commit to Louv. My hope is that by 2012-13 either Cook or Thornton has gained control of pg duties and that Duke puts more stock into Seniors Curry and Dawkins than a freshman. If Purvis wants to come despite rotation concerns that would be great. But adding another guard for 2012 should not be the priority over a rebounding interior player.
    Yea I agree that he should not be the top priorty but he should be a second one. I did not mean to make it sound as though he did not think our backcourt was crowded though. I was just trying to clarify the previous post because it was a little off.

Yea I agree that he should not be the top priorty but he should be a second one. I did not mean to make it sound as though he did not think our backcourt was crowded though. I was just trying to clarify the previous post because it was a little off.
    Yeah, sorry to sound a little narky in my previous post, but I was responding to someone who has an obvious UNC interest as they stated Shabazz and Purvis were both UNC bound. But yes, getting Purvis would be great, he seems like an elite talent.

[QUOTE=darjum;502174]Information taken from http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...s/_/class/2012

In regards to your comment: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...if that makes you sleep better at night, good for you.

What does the height and weight have anything to do with this? Purvis is more of a point guard than Sheed anyway. Also I have read that Purvis and Shabazz have talked about playing together at UNC...I do not want that to happen at all, its just something I have read. I also believe that Coach K is smart enough to find room for guys that deserve to play, regardless of class. There is a reason he is the best coach of all time. I also believe he knows what he is doing when he is recruiting.

"with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"

What does the height and weight have anything to do with this? Purvis is more of a point guard than Sheed anyway. Also I have read that Purvis and Shabazz have talked about playing together at UNC...I do not want that to happen at all, its just something I have read. I also believe that Coach K is smart enough to find room for guys that deserve to play, regardless of class. There is a reason he is the best coach of all time. I also believe he knows what he is doing when he is recruiting.
    Your initial quote, made it appear that you were at Tar Heel fan: "with all that said he is going to UNC along with Shabazz...so no need to worry"...therefore I assumed that you were dismissing Duke as an option based on your personal preference for North Carolina basketball. Hence my curt response to your comment.

I still feel that at this stage Purvis is a 'luxury' recruit in comparison to interior defender and at no point did I doubt Mike Krzyzewski recruiting tactics. Duke has a wealth of talent incoming and returning this year to Duke's back court.