Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Purvis

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I can't imagine Coach K stepping away from Purvis merely to give a conference rival the opportunity to land the kid. While K probably wouldn't pull a Roy and recruit a kid merely to try to keep him away from a conference rival, K isn't about to take his foot off the gas in terms of giving his own program the best possible chance to win.

From everything we've seen of K in the last 30 years, two things about his character seem set in stone. Number 1, he's got as much desire to win/beat you as anyone in the game. Number 2, he clearly feels he has a responsibility to put his kids in the best possible position to succeed. Giving away a talented recruit to help State would violate both those character traits. If he's backed off of Purvis, it's either because he doesn't think Purvis is going to help Duke win (doubtful), or he's got good info that Duke doesn't have much chance landing the kid (more likely).
    Or perhaps OTHER priorities (as noted by Airowe earlier...).

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Or perhaps OTHER priorities (as noted by Airowe earlier...).
    Very true!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I was a member of BDN during the Barnes recruitment specifically to follow that single recruitment. While Watzone never "explicitly" said he was coming do Duke, he made every indication that he was. Every article and post ended with something along the lines of "you can expect to see Barnes in a Duke uniform" or "all signs point to Duke" or something like that. After the Barnes recruitment, I stopped paying for BDN.

It's no fault of Watzone's, but the whole Barnes fiasco showed me personally that paying for recruiting info is one of the bigger wastes of your money you can find. The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself. All a premium sight can offer you is more informed speculations and guesses, nothing more.

Here ends the rant.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself.
    Even then, you can't be sure. Evidence: Tyler Adams, Harrison Barnes, Sean Livingston and, yes, Austin Rivers. And those are just a few recent Duke-related examples. In reality, you can never be sure until the recruit shows up on campus for their first semester of classes.

lmao!! You might want to go read his Harrison Barnes stuff...
    I didn't realize that you were a member. I said positive things about Barnes for 95% of his recruitiment because it was at that time accurate to a T. The worm turned late in the game which I will go into detail about later to satisfy curriousity. My batting average is about .970 over the years for I do not go out on a limb with limited information. If you can find anyone better than that let me know and the only reason I say that is it seeemd your repsonse had a tinge of sarcasm. If a person has never been a member of my site, they simply cannot know what they are or are not missing. My sources are as solid as they could possibly be and that is achieved through trust and trust is earned and it is rare in the circles I am speaking of. I am not perfect and never claimed to be with regard to recruiting, but I feel you may be moving with partial information on the subject while at the same time not ackowlegeding the many things I have had right which far out weigh the rest. It was at this very site that I broke DeMarcus Nelson to Duke and I am thankful DBR gave me the opportunity to report for them and the site has my eternal respect. I have refined my game over the years and earned my spurs and I can assure you that you can generally bank on what I say. I have also willingly shared a lot of information here for there are a lot of great Duke fans posting here. If I misunderstood your quip, I appologize in advance.

Additionally, might Coach K be throwing NC State a bone? Seems likely... (think of all the talk of bringing the ACC back, this would bring NC State a few giant steps up)
    While Coach wants the ACC to catch up to Duke and UNC, he'd never concede a player such as Purvis to another school in that manner from my vantage of the situation. The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012. This made for a different situation.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis. Duke does not take back offers but they do what is best for them as does every school. I feel they like Rodney and his game but he doesn't fit as well with their plans at this point and he is a kid who expects to play right away.

Suppose there is a change of rules and Austin stays another year and Seth, Andre and others return. Keep in mind to, that Duke recruited Rodney as a PG for that is what he will play at the next level. But he has morphed into a shooting guard, something low on their list until, again, 2013 (see Jones offer).

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs and they just happen to be looking at one in Las Vegas as I type. And this is one not a guy on the tip of most fans tongue. Other than Tony Parker, Perry Ellis, Mitch McGary, they are involved until the end with Shabazz Muhammad which seemingly comes down to UCLA and Duke. At this time the UCLANS are the fave. In short, he is the only wing they still need or have interest in for this class.

Unlike Purvis as good as he is, Shabazz would start from day one anywhere. So, there is the difference. Purvis would have to get past Seth, Tyler, Quinn and a senior Dawkins to play.

The reason Duke stopped watching Purvis is that they feel the position is covered and they need bigs. There are no games going on and they are just looking out for what is best for the team which they always do. The priorities are clear. They want Parker and McGary and flat out need one of them. They may or may not offer Ellis and Poythress could sneak back in as may some other bigs. Ellis is considered a WF or just not a center or banger. They love how the 2013 class is shaping up and have no problem holding onto some scholarships for a loaded class.

As for recruiting, things can change on a dime but that is not the usual case and Harrison Barnes was a bit of an anomaly in that the percentage of these kind of things happening is by no means the norm.

FTR, most of this was not addressed to your comment and what you said is not that far fetched but not accurate in this case.
    Last edited by watzone; 07-23-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    The real deal is as follows -
    Thanks, Watzone. Great stuff, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I was a member of BDN during the Barnes recruitment specifically to follow that single recruitment. While Watzone never "explicitly" said he was coming do Duke, he made every indication that he was. Every article and post ended with something along the lines of "you can expect to see Barnes in a Duke uniform" or "all signs point to Duke" or something like that. After the Barnes recruitment, I stopped paying for BDN.

It's no fault of Watzone's, but the whole Barnes fiasco showed me personally that paying for recruiting info is one of the bigger wastes of your money you can find. The fact is you can trust NOTHING in recruiting fully until you hear it from the recruit himself. All a premium sight can offer you is more informed speculations and guesses, nothing more.

Here ends the rant.
    The Barnes recruitment was a great source of frustration to many for Duke was all in and UNC won the battle at the midnight hour. Barnes even flew in to surprise Coach K for his birthday. I still have pics of Barnes adorned from head to toe in Duke garb.

Barnes led Duke on until the end. He allowed Coach Roy to come in after K's in home and the writing was on the wll from there. While I did not say Barnes to Duke was a sure thing, I did infer such for it was 100% true for 95% of his recruitment.

Once he met Jordan in Chapa Heeya, well, that was the difference in that his Mom was like a school girl with a crush and she loved him growing up. There is much more which I cannot share in public nor private forums and to me it is water under the bridge.

I decided that I could remain positive in this one for my batting average was such that I could take a hit. Like Duke, I was deeply involved from a coverage standpoint and Barnes used to seek me out for his stats to send his mom after he played.

I respect your opinion about pay sites, but think most feel differently from you. I think TDD, Devils Illustrated and Blue Devil Nation are all good sites and worthy of some coin, but do think my staff does it better.

As a member over a years time at any of the 3 is simply like paying for a daily newspaper which specifically covers Duke. Recruiting is only a part of BDN Premium, for we take you in the locker room after games with special interviews from the National Championship and such.

You cannot judge any pay site unless you remain for an entire year which is the cost of an old school newspaper a day. And while there is outstanding info at DBR on recruiting, you must wade through a ton of inaccuracies and assertions to get the truth.

I cannot speak for TDD or Devils Illustrated, but feel John and Brian would agree with me that you get a lot of info on a daily basis. I am absolutely certain that members at my site get major bang for their buck and we are way ahead of the public curve in that our staff is really, really good at what they do.

Pay sites are not for everybody, but one prospect frustrating you is the real culprit and not the overall information over time. We take you way behind the scenes and a lot has been added since Barnes. I want to stop short of a major pitch, but members have 24 hours for a full refund and our retention rate is right up there.

You are very wrong in saying pay sites can only offer speculation or opinions for I get a lot of stuff from the proverbial horses mouth (so to speak). When I speculate I make it clear, when not, what I say is almost always accurate.

On the other hand, you are very accurate when saying nobody knows with 100% certainty where a player is going to go until he announces. But Barnes is not a reflection on the whole. And for the record, our motto is that we deal in facts not rumors and what I said of Barnes was true until the very end.

Again, I respect your opinion but feel it is not a good representation of what my site is about. I will say that the best public recruiting information is in this forum and think the best discussion is here as well and we link and encourage people to visit here.

One more thing, I do feel recruiting is a bit of a soap opera, but it's a good one and a most popular one. Recruitng threads at DBR are by far the most popular and that IMO says a lot.

Okay, I have had my say. Back to Rodney Purvis. And all opinions on anything is fair nut not necessarily accurate. I mean nobody is always on par.
    Last edited by watzone; 07-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.

While Coach wants the ACC to catch up to Duke and UNC, he'd never concede a player such as Purvis to another school in that manner from my vantage of the situation. The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012. This made for a different situation.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis. Duke does not take back offers but they do what is best for them as does every school. I feel they like Rodney and his game but he doesn't fit as well with their plans at this point and he is a kid who expects to play right away.

Suppose there is a change of rules and Austin stays another year and Seth, Andre and others return. Keep in mind to, that Duke recruited Rodney as a PG for that is what he will play at the next level. But he has morphed into a shooting guard, something low on their list until, again, 2013 (see Jones offer).

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs and they just happen to be looking at one in Las Vegas as I type. And this is one not a guy on the tip of most fans tongue. Other than Tony Parker, Perry Ellis, Mitch McGary, they are involved until the end with Shabazz Muhammad which seemingly comes down to UCLA and Duke. At this time the UCLANS are the fave. In short, he is the only wing they still need or have interest in for this class.

Unlike Purvis as good as he is, Shabazz would start from day one anywhere. So, there is the difference. Purvis would have to get past Seth, Tyler, Quinn and a senior Dawkins to play.

The reason Duke stopped watching Purvis is that they feel the position is covered and they need bigs. There are no games going on and they are just looking out for what is best for the team which they always do. The priorities are clear. They want Parker and McGary and flat out need one of them. They may or may not offer Ellis and Poythress could sneak back in as may some other bigs. Ellis is considered a WF or just not a center or banger. They love how the 2013 class is shaping up and have no problem holding onto some scholarships for a loaded class.

As for recruiting, things can change on a dime but that is not the usual case and Harrison Barnes was a bit of an anomaly in that the percentage of these kind of things happening is by no means the norm.

FTR, most of this was not addressed to your comment and what you said is not that far fetched but not accurate in this case.

Bear with me, I'm not experienced with the quote system.
    Watzone, i'm confused. I think i might have read that wrong but have we NOT offered Ellis yet? I thought we offered him around a month ago? Also, do K and staff really think we have a good shot with Parker still? Thanks.

(mods feel free to move this to 2012 thread since it has nothing to do with Purvis)

This honestly looks like a good old fashioned case of "kill the messenger", which is most unfortunate and childish. I have never paid for any info I have received on this forum. I have paid for ESPN as part of my cable package though, and I don't think their analysts boast a track record anywhere near 95%. Now lets allow this thread to go the way of the Daniels recruitment thread and move on.

Watzone makes some really good points

The real deal is as follows - When Duke offered Purvis he was in the Class of 2013 and he changed to 2012.

Duke is also loaded at the wing spot and they like some other prospects in 2013, namely Matt Jones who has an offer and prefer Bazz over Purvis.

Duke has a limited amount of offers and right now, they need bigs....
    In most of these recruiting threads everyone tends to focus on the individual player and not the team make-up. We especially forget team make-up 2 to 3 years in the future.

Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year. That means that the front court for Duke would be Kelly and Marshall Plumlee. Rasheed S. is already arriving next year and if Shabazz decides to go to Duke, the addition of Purvis would fill out the recruiting class unless Rivers leaves. The year after Kelly graduates and then there is only Marshall Plumlee left in the front court. (I am not ignoring Josh I just think he is more of a small forward than a center.) Duke needs big men more than anything else.

While I want Duke to get every top player in every class you need a balance of talent to make a great team.

Interesting. Thanks for your posts on this thread.

I'm still a little perplexed by the staff's reasoning though.

-I haven't heard any reason to believe that the new CBA would require current incoming freshmen (AR) to stay 2 years; rather, that any such clause would grandfather them in.

-Is Rodney really more of a pure SG than Curry or Sulaimon? I mean, the kid's been consistently racking up 6, 8, 10 assist games the last few weeks, no?

-Lastly, when I look at the likely roster of PG/SGs on our roster in 2012-2013 - Thornton, Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins and Curry (unless he graduates and moves on to the NBA, which, IMO, is not an insignificant possibility). Those are all great complementary players, but I don't see a guy in there that can break down the defense and penetrate the lane at will like a Nolan, Kyrie, or Austin (even when you include our SFs Murphy and Gbinije). What do we do when our offense stagnates, when our 3's aren't falling?

I just think Purvis would add a dynamic to our roster that we'll end up needing in certain games. But I recognize that the roster is crowded - and I'm certainly glad their making bigs the priority, especially the "need" for either Parker or McGary - and in K I trust.

Duke definitely wants to bring in some size and almost certainly will bring in at least two players who can play inside.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year. That means that the front court for Duke would be Kelly and Marshall Plumlee.
    But this seems overly alarmist to me. Kelly and Plumlee may be the only 5s but Hairston, Murphy and perhaps Gbinijie can play the 4. Hairston is up to 235 and Murphy is 6-8, 220. Playing one or both at the 4 would hardly be out of character for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke definitely wants to bring in some size and almost certainly will bring in at least two players who can play inside.

But this seems overly alarmist to me. Kelly and Plumlee may be the only 5s but Hairston, Murphy and perhaps Gbinijie can play the 4. Hairston is up to 235 and Murphy is 6-8, 220. Playing one or both at the 4 would hardly be out of character for Duke.
    Good point. But I like the options that Coach K has with 4 players that could be at the 4 or 5 position and then letting Hairston, Murphy and Gbinijie play at the 3 or 4 depending upon the team Duke is playing. That is why this year is looking very interesting. Duke could have very potent lineups with 3 players over 6' 11" on the floor or with no players taller than 6' 8" on the floor. Foul trouble also won't be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for your posts on this thread.

I'm still a little perplexed by the staff's reasoning though.

-I haven't heard any reason to believe that the new CBA would require current incoming freshmen (AR) to stay 2 years; rather, that any such clause would grandfather them in.

-Is Rodney really more of a pure SG than Curry or Sulaimon? I mean, the kid's been consistently racking up 6, 8, 10 assist games the last few weeks, no?

-Lastly, when I look at the likely roster of PG/SGs on our roster in 2012-2013 - Thornton, Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins and Curry (unless he graduates and moves on to the NBA, which, IMO, is not an insignificant possibility). Those are all great complementary players, but I don't see a guy in there that can break down the defense and penetrate the lane at will like a Nolan, Kyrie, or Austin (even when you include our SFs Murphy and Gbinije). What do we do when our offense stagnates, when our 3's aren't falling?

I just think Purvis would add a dynamic to our roster that we'll end up needing in certain games. But I recognize that the roster is crowded - and I'm certainly glad their making bigs the priority, especially the "need" for either Parker or McGary - and in K I trust.
    I may not have the staff's reasoning down in the exact manner, but I'm close. Only they know all the reasons for the things they do.

You make a good point with concern to Purvis and the PG position. He's improved a whole lot in the last four months. In fact, he was one of the top two assist leaders at the recent Nike EYBL Peach Jam. He even dished 10 dimes in his first game, but most still feel he is a tweener. He is certainly capable of mastering the position.

As for Sulaimon, he's not a PG but has a sweet handle. And Curry? I think he may well start at the point. His situation is similar to Purvis but he's showed he can run a team when he has had to. Duke will have a lot of options with this seasons roster.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Duke will most likely lose 2 Plumlees next year.
    Why are people so convinced of this?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The Barnes recruitment was a great source of frustration to many for Duke was all in and UNC won the battle at the midnight hour. Barnes even flew in to surprise Coach K for his birthday. I still have pics of Barnes adorned from head to toe in Duke garb.

Barnes led Duke on until the end. He allowed Coach Roy to come in after K's in home and the writing was on the wll from there. While I did not say Barnes to Duke was a sure thing, I did infer such for it was 100% true for 95% of his recruitment.

Once he met Jordan in Chapa Heeya, well, that was the difference in that his Mom was like a school girl with a crush and she loved him growing up. There is much more which I cannot share in public nor private forums and to me it is water under the bridge.

I decided that I could remain positive in this one for my batting average was such that I could take a hit. Like Duke, I was deeply involved from a coverage standpoint and Barnes used to seek me out for his stats to send his mom after he played.

I respect your opinion about pay sites, but think most feel differently from you. I think TDD, Devils Illustrated and Blue Devil Nation are all good sites and worthy of some coin, but do think my staff does it better.

As a member over a years time at any of the 3 is simply like paying for a daily newspaper which specifically covers Duke. Recruiting is only a part of BDN Premium, for we take you in the locker room after games with special interviews from the National Championship and such.

You cannot judge any pay site unless you remain for an entire year which is the cost of an old school newspaper a day. And while there is outstanding info at DBR on recruiting, you must wade through a ton of inaccuracies and assertions to get the truth.

I cannot speak for TDD or Devils Illustrated, but feel John and Brian would agree with me that you get a lot of info on a daily basis. I am absolutely certain that members at my site get major bang for their buck and we are way ahead of the public curve in that our staff is really, really good at what they do.

Pay sites are not for everybody, but one prospect frustrating you is the real culprit and not the overall information over time. We take you way behind the scenes and a lot has been added since Barnes. I want to stop short of a major pitch, but members have 24 hours for a full refund and our retention rate is right up there.

You are very wrong in saying pay sites can only offer speculation or opinions for I get a lot of stuff from the proverbial horses mouth (so to speak). When I speculate I make it clear, when not, what I say is almost always accurate.

On the other hand, you are very accurate when saying nobody knows with 100% certainty where a player is going to go until he announces. But Barnes is not a reflection on the whole. And for the record, our motto is that we deal in facts not rumors and what I said of Barnes was true until the very end.

Again, I respect your opinion but feel it is not a good representation of what my site is about. I will say that the best public recruiting information is in this forum and think the best discussion is here as well and we link and encourage people to visit here.

One more thing, I do feel recruiting is a bit of a soap opera, but it's a good one and a most popular one. Recruitng threads at DBR are by far the most popular and that IMO says a lot.

Okay, I have had my say. Back to Rodney Purvis. And all opinions on anything is fair nut not necessarily accurate. I mean nobody is always on par.
    I appreciate the well-reasoned and thought out response, Watzone. I agree that pay-sites do offer more than just the recruiting stuff, but my problem has always been that you can get a majority (not all, but a lot) of the information on the pay-sites via a free-medium, even if it is a week or two later. To me that doesn't merit the sometimes exorbitant fees that these type of sites cost—I can personally wait a week to get the info or read it in a newspaper and save my 100 bucks. Regardless, I know you and BDN do a great job, and you guys do have the most accurate recruiting info of anywhere I've seen or heard of—it just isn't worth the price to me individually.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blink View Post
    Why are people so convinced of this?
    I think most of us in the know have accepted for a while that Marshall would be one and done.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hmmm, K and Collins are apparently watching Purvis right now, as per the twittersphere. However, Pinson is also playing in the game, so it may just be a convenient coincidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Hmmm, K and Collins are apparently watching Purvis right now, as per the twittersphere. However, Pinson is also playing in the game, so it may just be a convenient coincidence...
    They are watching Theo Pinson who plays on the same team.