Penn State football home game or royal wedding?

Did anyone notice the similarities?

I'm looking forward to what were the similarities. Do the women at PSU home football games wear funny hats?
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Sorry, didn't make it to the royal wedding, but did watch good parts of it on TV. Now, I actually have been to many Penn State home football games. Can't say I was struck by any great similarities. Do you have a punchline?

whiteout

Ancient figurehead overseeing everything?

Mrs. Womble and I attended The Wedding, and can't imagine a Penn State game would be nearly as enjoyable, though I do believe Coach Paterno is slightly older than the British monarchy.

We enjoyed fabulous accomodations with Lord and Lady Haddington-Thwapp (dear, dear friends) and when he has a few Pimm's Cups in him, Nigel is rollicking fun.

Could a Penn State game be that nice?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mrs. Womble and I attended The Wedding, and can't imagine a Penn State game would be nearly as enjoyable, though I do believe Coach Paterno is slightly older than the British monarchy.

We enjoyed fabulous accomodations with Lord and Lady Haddington-Thwapp (dear, dear friends) and when he has a few Pimm's Cups in him, Nigel is rollicking fun.

Could a Penn State game be that nice?
    Excellent report. budwom.

Actually, Queen Elizabeth (DOB 4/21/1926) is the older, having recently turned 85, a milestone Joe won't reach until December (DOB 12/21/26).

I've attended a number of Penn State tailgates and I can report hearing sounds like "thump" and "whack", and indeed having a cup or two of local beverages.

However, I'll concede that Yeungling Lager and the pleasant company of the Nittany Lion faithful on a football Saturday is no match for a few cups with Nigel and the Lady. Cheers.
    Last edited by roywhite; 05-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    That the glory days are far behind them both?

That the Fightin' Irish want to beat both badly?

Bad teeth?

That there is a secretary at Buckingham Palace named Paterno, and there is a secretary at Penn St. named Old Bag?

I'm on tea leaves and scones waiting for the answer.

They had a royal wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Excellent report. budwom.

Actually, Queen Elizabeth (DOB 4/21/1926) is the older, having recently turned 85, a milestone Joe won't reach until December (DOB 12/21/26).

I've attended a number of Penn State tailgates and I can report hearing sounds like "thump" and "whack", and indeed having a cup or two of local beverages.

However, I'll concede that Yeungling Lager and the pleasant company of the Nittany Lion faithful on a football Saturday is no match for a few cups with Nigel and the Lady. Cheers.
    Ah, but actually I said Joltin' Joe was older than the monarchy, not the monarch, though I suspect one could challenge that statement as well. Liz was coronated on my birthday as it turns out...coincidence? I think not!
    p.s. I know Prince Philip looks like a total Teutonic stiff, but get a couple of Jagermeisters in him (old Kraut habits don't die easily) and he chatters like a horny squirrel.

Ah, but actually I said Joltin' Joe was older than the monarchy, not the monarch, though I suspect one could challenge that statement as well. Liz was coronated on my birthday as it turns out...coincidence? I think not!
    p.s. I know Prince Philip looks like a total Teutonic stiff, but get a couple of Jagermeisters in him (old Kraut habits don't die easily) and he chatters like a horny squirrel.
    Yes, you're correct on the monarchy/JoePa age thing. My response was not exactly to your point. By the way on Penn State message boards, you occasionally see a "who's older, Joe or...". Turns out Joe is younger than Hugh Hefner, for example.

Must say I'm delighted that DBR was represented at the royal wedding.

Major extra credit if you produce some pix for general consumption.

Triple extra credit if you or Mrs. budwom is sporting some "Duke Basketball Report" or Duke basketball gear.

Prince Bill really wants to see a Duke game in Cameron. The royals, if nothing else, appreciate history and tradition. Maybe this Fall or Winter. Might be able to copter in from Camp Lejeune with Bill at the throttle. And you can be sure he'll be decked out in the very best DBR garb.

As for Joe Pa: as they say on the Metamucil ads, you're as young as you feel. I think Joe's still feels pretty young, except for the eyesight...he keeps trying to put the mascot into the game.

... I think Joe's still feels pretty young, except for the eyesight...he keeps trying to put the mascot into the game.
    If his glasses get any thicker, his nose will rest on his chin!

His lenses are thicker than Hubbell! ...

JoPa's younger than Hefner? But Hef can still recruit more teenagers he can score with!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If his glasses get any thicker, his nose will rest on his chin!

His lenses are thicker than Hubbell! ...

JoPa's younger than Hefner? But Hef can still recruit more teenagers he can score with!
    Actually, JoePa had laser eye surgery a little while back; still wears frames, but the giant lenses are gone.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7026827/

Look forward to budwom appearing at Cameron with Prince Will! Hope they'll bring along the new Duchess of Cameron...errr, Cambridge. And her sister Pippa.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Actually, JoePa had laser eye surgery a little while back; still wears frames, but the giant lenses are gone.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7026827/

Look forward to budwom appearing at Cameron with Prince Will! Hope they'll bring along the new Duchess of Cameron...errr, Cambridge. And her sister Pippa.
    Whoa, Pippa...slender enough (like her sis) to fit into those nice, narrow Cameron seats...