Grant Hill interview

Didn't see this posted anywhere else. If it needs to be moved, mods please do so.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/jasonwhitlock/

Whether you like Whitlock or not, the interview is great.

I am surprised by Grant Hill not knowing when his doctor had cleared him to play. Why wouldn't that be something he personally knew? Why would the doctor have not told that directly to Grant? Seems like a failure of the physician if he only told the Magic and not the patient directly. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think Grant should have taken a more direct role with his own medical care and recovery from injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20, but I think Grant should have taken a more direct role with his own medical care and recovery from injury.
    Seems to me that this is precisely the point he's making.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere else. If it needs to be moved, mods please do so.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/jasonwhitlock/

Whether you like Whitlock or not, the interview is great.
    whitlock is a schmuck IMHO...plays racial card on cue 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Wow - I enjoyed the entire hour. I loved the bit when Grant talks about his daughter looking at YouTube clips of his Detroit days and saying "Gee, Daddy, you weren't always a scrub." Ouch! Some fascinating stuff about his injury and mismanagement of his recovery from the initial ankle problems. Also some insight into his post-playing plans. "When I come back, I want to come back as Reggie Love."
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Wow - I enjoyed the entire hour. I loved the bit when Grant talks about his daughter looking at YouTube clips of his Detroit days and saying "Gee, Daddy, you weren't always a scrub." Ouch! Some fascinating stuff about his injury and mismanagement of his recovery from the initial ankle problems. Also some insight into his post-playing plans. "When I come back, I want to come back as Reggie Love."
    I was doing the dishes when I heard this and burst into laughter, my wife thought I was very odd. Even now though I wouldn't consider Grant a "scrub", but yes, compared to his early years he's obviously not in the same ball park...scrub though is a little harsh, particularly from a 9 year old!

It is a fantastic interview, really interesting, especially:

-When he watched the "Feb Five" doc, he didn't get upset. What moved him to do the NY Times Op/Ed was seeing Jalen on an ESPN talk show the next day making no attempt to put his anti-Duke, anti-Grant Hill Uncle Tom comments into context.

-That Shaq repeatedly asked him, "Why are you playing anymore?" as he kept trying to work his way back from the ankle catastrophe. It highlights Grant's character and, perhaps, how Shaq may have responded differently to the same circumstances (although one never knows how they would face adversity until actually faced with it).

-Much like J.Will, Grant thinks the trials and tribulations made him a much better person, someone with even greater character and not caught up in being a young rich jock (a direction he said he was kind of headed down).

-He said frowing up in DC, the son of a pro jock and businesswoman, made him want to do 3 things with his life; be a pro jock (check), run a business (check - his collective interests qualify as such) and get involved in politics (he was non commital). I was surprised he spoke nothing of his budding film career, considering that this doc he just produced is making the rounds...nor his art collection. But, these interviews are never unabridged.