Question Homelessness; outside of mental illness/drug abuse, what drives it?

I know a guy who lives in the woods near a major intersection in Wake Forest, NC. He is a kind person; he is humble, bright and communicates very well. He's clean shaven and looks me in the eye when I speak to him and if I didn't see him there with a sign, I just wouldn't know he doesn't have a home.

On several occasions I've caught myself thinking that he's part of some school-related 'social project', running an experiment to discern just how many people will talk to him versus how many people will simply pass him by. He just does NOT fit 'the mold' of the stereotypical homeless person (forgive me please folks for saying that, I'm sorry).

I don't think he's struggling with substance abuse or mental illness; I don't think he's a victim of the lingering poor economy, either. The GREAT NEWS! on him is that I just saw him working at a local company on a part time basis! Monday, he told me that 'I've got to be at work at 2 pm today'.

I think he's a guy who simply struggles with self-confidence. I know that sounds lame, but I think that's the case with him. He even spends time out there with his sign trying to get money to help a friend who stays with him (he seems generous in this way).

He's very grateful for small gifts. I've cried many times after spending some time talking to this guy. He's even visited my church a couple times. He feels forgotten, I think, due to something I can't pinpoint.

Can anyone shed any light on what might drive this particular guy to the street? I am so very curious as to why he's out there, taking all of the listed factors into account that I've included with this case. Could it be a syndrome involving low self-esteem?

Thanks for any insight,

dukestheheat.

he could be a former substance abuser who's alienated everyone in his life.

he could be a schizophrenic man whose hallucinations have burnt out but who's left with the cognitive issues that plague their later lives.

he could be coherent and bright but still have mental retardation.

he could have some combo.

the secret tool that psychiatrists use is to ask, "hey, listen, I was wondering why you're homeless. do you have a theory?"

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    he could be a former substance abuser who's alienated everyone in his life.

he could be a schizophrenic man whose hallucinations have burnt out but who's left with the cognitive issues that plague their later lives.

he could be coherent and bright but still have mental retardation.

he could have some combo.

the secret tool that psychiatrists use is to ask, "hey, listen, I was wondering why you're homeless. do you have a theory?"
    maybe he doesn't want to waste money on rent.

Thumbs up Your first option Johnb...

....seems possible based on what I know about him. Maybe he has indeed alienated his close contacts and I hadn't thought about that.

He's such an interesting fellow, and he seems capable, it's just that something tied to confidence keeps him anchored downward.

I know him well enough to ask him why he's homeless, also, so I can put that up later when I get it.

Thanks johnb.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    maybe he doesn't want to waste money on rent.
    You're a traitor to your namesake! ;-)

He is a kind person; he is humble, bright and communicates very well. He's clean shaven and looks me in the eye when I speak to him

That doesn't preclude mental illness - it may not be as common or typical as what we think of when we thnk of a menally ill homeless person, but there are many folks who are mentally ill but who can appear (and in fact be) all of the things you listed above for long stretches of time, yet still struggle with mental illness. In fact, if someone struggles to the point of being unable to sustain employment, relationships, or a domicile I think that would pretty much meet the functional definition of being mentally ill.

Have you seen this game?

There are so many reasons why people are homeless. Many people make choices each day between rent, food, medicine, clothing, etc. Urban Ministries of Durham has a game posted :

http://playspent.org/

We’re going to challenge the way you think about poverty and homelessness.

Work hard. Do the right thing. Homelessness is something that will never happen to me. Sometimes, all it takes is one life-changing experience to land you on the streets: a job loss, death of a loved one, divorce, natural disaster, or serious illness.

Next thing you know, a chain of events sends things spiraling out of control…

How would you cope? Where would you go? What would you do? Figure something out, right?

We invite you to take the challenge… Play SPENT

Loss of credit as a primary cause of homelessness

Did you know that loss of credit is a primary cause of homelessness?

If your credit rating has been impacted by a downturn in circumstances, many landlords will reject your application for an apartment. Once you are out on the street, you turn to matters of day to day survival and options to improve/correct your credit rating get harder and harder to prioritize or accomplish. Often, these circumstances also bring on bouts of depression continuing to exacerbate the situation.

I serve on the board of OPCC in Santa Monica which provides a full spectrum of services to the homeless and the mentally ill. Unfortunately, these services are needed now more than ever.

Want to learn more or contribute?
    www.OPCC.net

Julie G. '85

Check out that OPCC site!

Thank you Jules! for posting that information on 'loss of credit' as a potential cause for homelessness; I hadn't thought of that but that is SCARY reality. That feeds into the old paradigm that 'we're all just one day away from homelessness'.

I encourage all DBR readers to click that OPCC link and read up on how to help in this situation. Thanks again Jules.

dth.

Check out that OPCC site!

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Thank you Jules! for posting that information on 'loss of credit' as a potential cause for homelessness; I hadn't thought of that but that is SCARY reality. That feeds into the old paradigm that 'we're all just one day away from homelessness'.

I encourage all DBR readers to click that OPCC link and read up on how to help in this situation. Thanks again Jules.

dth.
    Dukestheheat - Many thanks for checking out the www.OPCC.net site and encouraging others to do so.

As a PPS grad, I'm motivated by the agency's success rate (90% of ppl transitioned to permanent supportive housing stay housed). This is accomplished with model programs and amazing staff on a shoestring budget.

Tomorrow, I will be attending a very challenging budget meeting for needs in FY 2011-2012.

If you've ever wondered how to help the person you see on the street, please consider a donation to OPCC...cause those folks are real and OPCC is making a difference.

Doh, hope I didn't totally step on your message...

J.