Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scheyer on the NBADL Vipers

John signs with the d-league; Rio Grande Valley Vipers

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...&i=TWT&w=1ad48

it won't be long...he will get an nba gig...

go jon !!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

That's great news. I'm glad to hear that Jon is ready to play. I hope they see all he has to offer because I think/hope this is just the beginning.

Good for him! He is really an easy guy to root for. I hope that he knocks it out of the park there. Isn't he joining them mid-season though? Which could make it a little harder breaking into an existing unit, not that JS can't do it of course. I just want to see him hit the deck plates running, so he gets noticed by the league ASAP, and picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's great news. I'm glad to hear that Jon is ready to play. I hope they see all he has to offer because I think/hope this is just the beginning.
    I'd love to agree with this, but I'm not sure Jon will make it onto an NBA roster this year. Late season call-up may happen, but I'd be much more willing to bet that he'll make a roster next year. Jon is a great player and has lots of positives to offer, but he's the type of player that it might take a while for him to build some chemistry with teammates to show how valuable he is, rather than the blazing athleticism that tends to get rewarded in the show. I'm not saying that everybody in the NBA is an athletic freak, but with the way talent is evaluated it may take some time for the right pair of eyes to see that he belongs.

Great. I wish only the best for Jon, who is one of the best Dukies we've ever been lucky enough to have.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'd love to agree with this, but I'm not sure Jon will make it onto an NBA roster this year. Late season call-up may happen, but I'd be much more willing to bet that he'll make a roster next year. Jon is a great player and has lots of positives to offer, but he's the type of player that it might take a while for him to build some chemistry with teammates to show how valuable he is, rather than the blazing athleticism that tends to get rewarded in the show. I'm not saying that everybody in the NBA is an athletic freak, but with the way talent is evaluated it may take some time for the right pair of eyes to see that he belongs.
    I'm with DiB on this one. I'd be surprised if Jon made an immediate big splash in the D-league. He just doesn't seem to have that sort of game, and he hasn't played with D-league talent before. I always thought Jon's biggest asset was his basketball acumen, rather than some sort of freakish talent. He's gonna need time to learn about his teammates, and to pick up the offensive and defensive schemes of his coach. I suspect he'll surprise some with his defense and how well he takes care of the ball - two skills that he can show early on.

My hope is that he gets enough playing time to get acclimated and start making significant contributions on the court. If that happens, when combined with his rep from his Duke career, I'd hope he'd get interest from several pro teams about playing on their summer squads, and he'd be able to choose a situation that's good for him. After that, maybe a training camp invite. Still, unless a really ideal situation comes around or he makes a bigger splash than I'm expecting, I wouldn't be surprised if Jon struggles to make an opening day roster next year. A full year in the D-league next year, or maybe a year with a good European squad (or Israeli, for that matter), and I could see Jon getting picked up by an NBA squad down the road. If he chooses to go the European route, however, I could really see him having a long and productive career there - similar to Trajan's perhaps.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Goggles

Does anyone have a picture of Scheyer with eyewear / goggles?

I assume this mathematical formula is accurate: Scheyer Face + Goggles = Awesomeness
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This is a great situation for Jon.

First off, the team he is joining, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, is the team affiliated with the Houston Rockets. Houston GM Daryl Morey is considered one of the most astute GMs in the biz and a real MoneyBall style advanced stats wonk. He is famous for finding value where others see little, as well documented in the now famous "No Stats All Star" NY Times magazine profile on Shane a few years back. Morey and the Houston franchise were one of the first NBA teams to really treat their NBADL team as a minor league feeder for the NBA squad. I say all of this to suggest that they are picky about which players they bring in and it is a great organization to be involved with. The team is also, currently, one of the better D League squads.

All that said, I am with DiB and JBDuke on this...he's got to crawl before he walks and runs. He'll have some time to get his feet wet against pro-caliber competition and set his strategy for the rest of the year. JBDuke's roadmap for Jon's potential 2011 path is right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Great. I wish only the best for Jon, who is one of the best Dukies we've ever been lucky enough to have.
    I strongly agree, and can only add it is wonderful that his eye injury has apparently been successfully resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This is a great situation for Jon.

First off, the team he is joining, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, is the team affiliated with the Houston Rockets. Houston GM Daryl Morey is considered one of the most astute GMs in the biz and a real MoneyBall style advanced stats wonk. He is famous for finding value where others see little, as well documented in the now famous "No Stats All Star" NY Times magazine profile on Shane a few years back. Morey and the Houston franchise were one of the first NBA teams to really treat their NBADL team as a minor league feeder for the NBA squad. I say all of this to suggest that they are picky about which players they bring in and it is a great organization to be involved with. The team is also, currently, one of the better D League squads.

All that said, I am with DiB and JBDuke on this...he's got to crawl before he walks and runs. He'll have some time to get his feet wet against pro-caliber competition and set his strategy for the rest of the year. JBDuke's roadmap for Jon's potential 2011 path is right on the money.
    Question:
    If a player is not currently under an NBA contract and is sent to the D-league for more playing time, he is still tied with his NBA team...But if a player is not under an NBA contract, does the "parent" club really have any say-so with this player's status? I.e., Could be as easily picked up by any NBA team who pays attention to the D-league, not just the Rockets?

Interesting comment from Jon that watching Duke play UNC last week fueled his desire to play, regardless of where. I hope he makes it to the league eventually. Last year's team has to be the only National Champion in recent memory to not have a future NBA player on it.

From what I understand, the D-league is mostly guys trying to pad their own stats so they can get called up. That's not the ideal environment for showcasing what Jon can bring to the table, but hopefully his talent will be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Last year's team has to be the only National Champion in recent memory to not have a future NBA player on it.
    Wait, what?

Talking Seasoning for Jon with the Rio Grande Vipers? Nah, Maybe Salsa

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I'm with DiB on this one. I'd be surprised if Jon made an immediate big splash in the D-league. He just doesn't seem to have that sort of game, and he hasn't played with D-league talent before. I always thought Jon's biggest asset was his basketball acumen, rather than some sort of freakish talent. He's gonna need time to learn about his teammates, and to pick up the offensive and defensive schemes of his coach. I suspect he'll surprise some with his defense and how well he takes care of the ball - two skills that he can show early on.
    I dunno, JB, but Lance Thomas is scoring in double figures in the D-League. There's a good chance that, if Jon gets the minutes, he'll be highly productive from the "gitgo" (after all, this is the Rio Grande Vipers). I think Jon's "basketball acumen," on which we agree, will show up in the first ten minutes on the court.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Wait, what?
    Yeah, that one's a little puzzling. I realize some people are down on Singler because his scoring has slacked off a bit (I disagree), but I don't know anyone who thinks Smith won't be in the league next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Yeah, that one's a little puzzling. I realize some people are down on Singler because his scoring has slacked off a bit (I disagree), but I don't know anyone who thinks Smith won't be in the league next year.
    I think what UrinalCake meant, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that last year is the only year when a team won the NC without a player on that team immediately playing in the NBA the following year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think what UrinalCake meant, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that last year is the only year when a team won the NC without a player on that team immediately playing in the NBA the following year.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

When Florida went back to back, I don't think they had NBA player the year after the first one. If they did, I surely don't remember whom it would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    When Florida went back to back, I don't think they had NBA player the year after the first one. If they did, I surely don't remember whom it would have been.
    I believe the same is true for the Devils back in '91. (Here's hoping that history repeats itself).

Oh okay. That's a great save. Good luck Jon.