Shameless Plug/Fund Raiser - MS Edition

As part of my Summer Fitness plan, I've signed up for the MS 150 this fall in New Bern, North Carolina. I'm registered for the 150 bike mile ride - 75 miles on consecutive days. On a bicycle. I've also committed to raise $2,000 for the MS Foundation.

MS is a crippling disease that frequently strikes young adults between 20-40 years old. Causes and risk factors are poorly understood, and since the disease doesn't decrease life expectancy of the victim, patients are frequently burdened by a lifetime of medical costs and mobility restricting symptoms. The MS Foundation funds grants and directly addresses patient needs.

The Fundraising team I joined, The Selma Cyclepaths, have been the top fund raising team in North Carolina for the last 6 years, topping $100k each of those years. The team started with a $1,500 donation and 6 riders in 1993, and from there they've grown into a fund raising juggernaut, having raised nearly $1M dollars cumulatively, over half of which has been in the last 5 years.

I'm currently sitting on a big fat zero. A goose egg. Not $1 raised. We've got some events planned to address that, and I will certainly kick in a check towards the end myself, but in the meantime...someone's gotta break the ice for me. $10? $20? One quarter for every mile I ride? $50? More?!? Just clickity click here, and get me started. Fully tax deductible, of course.

ETA - You guys ROCK! No longer on zero. Thanks!
    Last edited by Genedoc; 04-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    As part of my Summer Fitness plan, I've signed up for the MS 150 this fall in New Bern, North Carolina. I'm registered for the 150 bike mile ride - 75 miles on consecutive days. On a bicycle. I've also committed to raise $2,000 for the MS Foundation.

MS is a crippling disease that frequently strikes young adults between 20-40 years old. Causes and risk factors are poorly understood, and since the disease doesn't decrease life expectancy of the victim, patients are frequently burdened by a lifetime of medical costs and mobility restricting symptoms. The MS Foundation funds grants and directly addresses patient needs.

The Fundraising team I joined, The Selma Cyclepaths, have been the top fund raising team in North Carolina for the last 6 years, topping $100k each of those years. The team started with a $1,500 donation and 6 riders in 1993, and from there they've grown into a fund raising juggernaut, having raised nearly $1M dollars cumulatively, over half of which has been in the last 5 years.

I'm currently sitting on a big fat zero. A goose egg. Not $1 raised. We've got some events planned to address that, and I will certainly kick in a check towards the end myself, but in the meantime...someone's gotta break the ice for me. $10? $20? One quarter for every mile I ride? $50? More?!? Just clickity click here, and get me started. Fully tax deductible, of course.

ETA - You guys ROCK! No longer on zero. Thanks!
    In less than 24 hours, you guys and others like you have moved me off of my goose egg zero and 25% of the way to my fund raising goal. That's outstanding, and I'm sincerely grateful. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    In less than 24 hours, you guys and others like you have moved me off of my goose egg zero and 25% of the way to my fund raising goal. That's outstanding, and I'm sincerely grateful. Thank you!
    Big event is a couple of weeks away, and we're still a good ways away from our team goal.

To those who've already donated...THANKS!

To those who haven't, I appreciate your consideration.

You guys were awesome last year, and I kept up my end of the bargain - completing my 150 miles last September. It was extremely rewarding and I exceeded my goal of $2k thanks in part to you guys! So of course, it's time to do it again, and raise the bar!

My goals this year are to be a much better/stronger cyclist so I carry some riders with me across the finish line. Last year I made all 150 miles, but I was doing a lot more drafting than leading. This year I hope to be a leader. I'm off to a good start.

And of course, my fundraising goals have increased as well. I raised over $2500 last year, helping to get our team tantalizingly close to one million dollars raised over the course of a decade or so and finishing our 7th season in a row as the top fundraising team. This year, we're blowing by that million dollar mark, and my goal is $3500.

Thank you all for helping me get started, and then supporting my fundraising efforts!

Great NC State Bar Assn article about our team.

CLICK HERE to donate this year!

A sincere thank you to all of you who have already donated! As you can see, I've almost reached my goal of $3500. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Donate here!