Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shameless Plug/Fund Raiser - MS Edition

As part of my Summer Fitness plan, I've signed up for the MS 150 this fall in New Bern, North Carolina. I'm registered for the 150 bike mile ride - 75 miles on consecutive days. On a bicycle. I've also committed to raise $2,000 for the MS Foundation.

MS is a crippling disease that frequently strikes young adults between 20-40 years old. Causes and risk factors are poorly understood, and since the disease doesn't decrease life expectancy of the victim, patients are frequently burdened by a lifetime of medical costs and mobility restricting symptoms. The MS Foundation funds grants and directly addresses patient needs.

The Fundraising team I joined, The Selma Cyclepaths, have been the top fund raising team in North Carolina for the last 6 years, topping $100k each of those years. The team started with a $1,500 donation and 6 riders in 1993, and from there they've grown into a fund raising juggernaut, having raised nearly $1M dollars cumulatively, over half of which has been in the last 5 years.

I'm currently sitting on a big fat zero. A goose egg. Not $1 raised. We've got some events planned to address that, and I will certainly kick in a check towards the end myself, but in the meantime...someone's gotta break the ice for me. $10? $20? One quarter for every mile I ride? $50? More?!? Just clickity click here, and get me started. Fully tax deductible, of course.

ETA - You guys ROCK! No longer on zero. Thanks!
    Last edited by Genedoc; 04-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.