Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Games in China & Dubai

Anybody know it they will be on inside access though goduke.com?

I do not know the answer to that question, but I'll try and find out. I am moving to Shanghai in 3 weeks (where I worked last summer as well) and my father is going to be speaking to some people in the Iron Dukes office about attending the games and whatnot, so I'll make sure to mention the inside access to him.

Update?

Info on the China tour?

Hey all!

Just wondering... does anyone know any more info about the China trip, as far as broadcasting of games and all? I don't recall seeing anything anywhere... but I'd love an early glimpse at the guys!

Thanks!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    One update from the thread that Watzone started earlier today. All of the Duke Freshman will be taking the Dubai/China trip as all will be enrolled in Summer School and be on campus no later than June. I assume Coach Capel will be taking the trip as well.

The team will get 10 full/regular practices with the complete coaching staff as though it were the Regular Season, prior to leaving for Dubai. That will go a long ways toward helping the development of this young squad.

During the trip the team can practice as many times as they need/want to, along with playing in the exhibition games.

Good stuff and perfect timing.

Leaving on a Duke jet plane...

I really just want to know if anyone wants to take me on the trip with them? LOL!

Still no news on whether this'll be televised or on goduke? What is the date of the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Still no news on whether this'll be televised or on goduke? What is the date of the trip?
    The dates are listed here:
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=205098336

Travel packages are listed here:
    http://www.anthonytravel.com/duke/ch...DB_OEM_ID=4200

I can't find anything about broadcasts though.

Thanks El diablo

TV Coverage?...oh, good!

From the Chronicle:

Expanding the Brand

The University is currently in talks with ESPN International to broadcast three of the four games on the ESPN family of networks, according to senior associate director of athletics and director of the basketball legacy fund Mike Cragg.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    From the Chronicle:

Expanding the Brand
    Link is not working for me. Wonderfull news on the coverage, I hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by meloveduke View Post
    Link is not working for me. Wonderfull news on the coverage, I hope it works out.
    Chronicle article on trip

Sorry, let me try that again.

With his Olympic coaching experience, I'll guess Coach K is approaching celebrity status in China, though perhaps not to the level of Shane Battier?

Just so we are clear about expectations, the Chinese National Team, against whom Duke will be scrimmaging, is very good. They are extremely tall and will be physically stronger than almost all the kids on the Duke roster. We will be more skilled, but I would expect tough games against them. The Chinese PF played in the NBA a while back.

They would probably kill Duke if Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian were playing.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Andy Katz article on the upcoming China trip.

Does this strike anyone as an unfair advantage for us being able to play and practice out of season? I know it is ok under the rules, but shouldn't all teams do something like this, even if it is to Canada or Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Does this strike anyone as an unfair advantage for us being able to play and practice out of season? I know it is ok under the rules, but shouldn't all teams do something like this, even if it is to Canada or Mexico?
    Every team gets the opportunity to do the same every four years.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    A lot of them do. Here's the listings of a google search of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    A lot of them do. Here's the listings of a google search of the subject.
    Additionally, the extra practice time makes sense considering something I've heard Coach K say a number of times, most recently in the Paterno/Krzyzewski ESPN special. That is that the NCAA restrictions on practice time allowed with the coaches is not realistic. The players are involved with basketball for many more hours, but are prevented by the rules from additional contact with their best resource, their own coaches.

Can't help but to mention that no where does Andy Katz even talk about Josh Hairston! I really do not understand why he just gets lost in the mix. I hope he uses this as motivation this year. But I'm pretty sure Katz mentions every scholarship player on the team except Josh. Maybe its due to the fact no one knows what his role will be? Hmm...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just so we are clear about expectations, the Chinese National Team, against whom Duke will be scrimmaging, is very good. They are extremely tall and will be physically stronger than almost all the kids on the Duke roster. We will be more skilled, but I would expect tough games against them. The Chinese PF played in the NBA a while back.
    -Jason
    True. The UAE team, on the other hand, is probably the equivalent of a bad high-school team. Most of the guys don't even play professionally... and the ones that do barely participate on the teams they play for. That'll be a fun one.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!