Ohio State vacates wins

Ohio St vacates 2010 wins, including the Sugar Bowl.

-jk

I feel really bad for Arkansas here. OSU knew what was going on, but still let those guys play. Arkansas should absolutely have been able to celebrate on the field (assuming they beat the depleted OSU squad).

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I feel really bad for Arkansas here. OSU knew what was going on, but still let those guys play. Arkansas should absolutely have been able to celebrate on the field (assuming they beat the depleted OSU squad).
    Don't feel bad for Arkansas. But for the dimwited special teams player who didn't have sense enough to pick up the blocked punt at the end of the game rather than fall on it, the Razorbacks would have the best of both worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47mrwUUamk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Ohio St vacates 2010 wins, including the Sugar Bowl.
    Well, that certainly seems like more than enough punishment for all the stuff that was going on there over the past several years. I am sure the NCAA will not see any need to do more than this.

-Jason "NOT!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Sadly, the President (or Chairman?) of the Sugar Bowl board appealed to the NCAA to allow the OSU players to play. It was all about $$ for him - didn't want to see the game devalued by OSU having a depleted roster.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Don't feel bad for Arkansas. But for the dimwited special teams player who didn't have sense enough to pick up the blocked punt at the end of the game rather than fall on it, the Razorbacks would have the best of both worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47mrwUUamk
    Agreed. It also didn't help that our flippin' receivers couldn't catch the stinkin' ball when it was thrown right to them.

OSU has also settled with Jim Tressel for about $52,000 that he would have made through the month of June and allowed him to retire instead of resign. Thus, he won't be paying the $250,000 fine originally imposed and will go out as a Buckeye for what that is worth.

AD Gene Smith seems to think that the self-imposed penalties (vacating wins and 2 years probation of the football program) will suffice and vows to fight back if the NCAA imposes any more sanctions. I think that the NCAA probably would have let it go at that if OSU would have taken this action 3 months ago. But not now. Gene Smith is delusional. But then again this is the same AD that thought a two game suspension matched the scope of the transgression 4 months ago.

The NCAA will certainly levy additional sanctions against OSU including loss of scholarships and probably a 1-2 year post-season ban similar to what happened at USC. True Buckeye fans are appalled and ashamed at the events of the past few months.

Gene Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    AD Gene Smith seems to think that the self-imposed penalties (vacating wins and 2 years probation of the football program) will suffice and vows to fight back if the NCAA imposes any more sanctions. I think that the NCAA probably would have let it go at that if OSU would have taken this action 3 months ago. But not now. Gene Smith is delusional. But then again this is the same AD that thought a two game suspension matched the scope of the transgression 4 months ago.
    I hate to keep bringing this up, but never forget that Gene Smith would have replaced Tom Butters as Duke's AD if Nan Keohane had her way. Her search committee wanted to hire Smith, who was then at Iowa State ... it was only blocked by Coach K's STRONG objection
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-08-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Devil View Post
    OSU has also settled with Jim Tressel for about $52,000 that he would have made through the month of June and allowed him to retire instead of resign. Thus, he won't be paying the $250,000 fine originally imposed and will go out as a Buckeye for what that is worth.

The NCAA will certainly levy additional sanctions against OSU including loss of scholarships and probably a 1-2 year post-season ban similar to what happened at USC. True Buckeye fans are appalled and ashamed at the events of the past few months.
    Thanks for the report, Buckeye Devil. I encounter some Buckeye fans who go with the "everybody does it" routine, but many who indeed are ashamed, as you say. More contrite than Tar Heel fans, according to my unscientific observations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the 5th (lame) attempt at self-imposed penalties:

1. 5-game suspension for selected players (not including Sugar Bowl)
    2. 2-game suspension for Tressel
    3. suspension increased to 5 games for Tressel
    4. Tressel forced to resign
    5. Latest steps with the empty "vacating" of wins.

Thanks to Olympic Fan for the reminder about Gene Smith and his near hire at Duke. Certainly glad that didn't happen, and I would think tOSU won't have Gene Smith around much longer. Ugh.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, that certainly seems like more than enough punishment for all the stuff that was going on there over the past several years. I am sure the NCAA will not see any need to do more than this.

-Jason "NOT!" Evans
    Jason,
    If I had more spare time, I'd rework your sig video with the unc fan repeating 'Butch didn't know' as the other fan lists all the unc/NCAA 'allegations' in order. Probably the last statement from the unc fan should be quoting Woody Durham, where he states that 'no school in history has cooperated more fully'. Oh, and there should be several references and footnotes at the end so that no one suspects a tutor was involved...
    JStuart

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I would think tOSU won't have Gene Smith around much longer. Ugh.
    I believe this is right. It's just a matter of when.

I doubt the NCAA will go far beyond what OSU has already done to itself. The individual at Ohio State who was aware of the players' interactions with the tattoo parlor was forced out; the wins that were compiled with the players who should have been ineligible have been vacated.

There's not much more to it than that.

There was no academic impropriety here; no exchange of money between boosters and players; the car meme has proven false; and there is no indication that the NCAA believed or believes that there was a lack of institutional control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I believe this is right. It's just a matter of when.

I doubt the NCAA will go far beyond what OSU has already done to itself. The individual at Ohio State who was aware of the players' interactions with the tattoo parlor was forced out; the wins that were compiled with the players who should have been ineligible have been vacated.

There's not much more to it than that.

There was no academic impropriety here; no exchange of money between boosters and players; the car meme has proven false; and there is no indication that the NCAA believed or believes that there was a lack of institutional control.
    I'll take the over here, Mike.

Seems to me the NCAA will come down fairly hard here, for reasons such as:

Head coach Tressel lied to NCAA investigators---they don't like that
    Ohio State had another major violation (basketball) within the past 5 years
    Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions have come a bit at a time, and seemingly, grudgingly
    USC's harsh treatment provides a precedent; the cases are different, but the NCAA is trying to send a message that even the big-time schools can be whacked

Ask bruce pearl about that one...This is absolutely spot on. Almost anywhere, lying will get you in deeper trouble than the crime itself. Its why pearl got whacked for sure. Its why clemens is on trial and pettite isn't, its why marion jones and martha stewert spent time in teh clinker...

Unfortunately, its also why i think UNC won't get whacked hard, unless they can uncover that UNC lied abuot something
    1200. DDMF.

I would think tOSU won't have Gene Smith around much longer. Ugh.
    So far there is no inkling that AD Gene Smith is going any where any time soon. The public news release this week announcing OSU's response to the allegations against it was very Tressel-specific in its accusations and laid the blame at the foot of his cross. This was a very clear attempt to separate and make very distinct the two entities: 1)OSU and 2)Jim Tressel. It's almost like the line of demarcation between good and evil.

OSU is holding fast to the line that Coach Tressel was the only one who knew of the situation. As long as that story flies with no evidence to the contrary, I don't see Smith, President Gee, or even compliance director Doug Archie losing their jobs over this. It is still pretty amazing that there has been nothing made known that would implicate any one other than Jim Tressel in the gigantic world and nation that is the Ohio State University. I think a lot of people expected Smith's head to be rolling off the platter by this time. But as time continues without any indication or evidence of his wrong-doing, it will be easier to believe that Tressel was indeed the sole offender in the whole thing. That is something I did not believe 4 months ago.

Why do you think the NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Sadly, the President (or Chairman?) of the Sugar Bowl board appealed to the NCAA to allow the OSU players to play. It was all about $$ for him - didn't want to see the game devalued by OSU having a depleted roster.
    put in the concept that bowl games were so important that players suspensions would start after the bowl game?

I think its to protect the bowl games, ESPN, and the TV sponsors.

It is all about money with them too. Yes it is sad.

SoCal

Tressel suspended by Colts

This is refreshing to see the Colts and the Commish take NCAA violations coaches seriously.

Now if Goodell wants to prove he's not completely inconsistent he can whack the crooked Pete Carroll for a handful of games this season.

Talking Smoking Gun?

I'll take the over here, Mike.

Seems to me the NCAA will come down fairly hard here, for reasons such as:

Ohio State had another major violation (basketball) within the past 5 years
    Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions have come a bit at a time, and seemingly, grudgingly
    USC's harsh treatment provides a precedent; the cases are different, but the NCAA is trying to send a message that even the big-time schools can be whacked
    There was also a SMOKING GUN, for heaven's sake. Investigators hardly ever get a smoking gun -- it's usually a he said-he said or circumstantial situation. The e-mail from a former player, who was an attorney, warning the highly paid head football coach, Jim Tressel, of probable violations was sent by Tressel to a friend-mentor of the offending player and not to the AD, the compliance office or the university counsel.

That e-mail was radioactive!

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    This is refreshing to see the Colts and the Commish take NCAA violations coaches seriously.

Now if Goodell wants to prove he's not completely inconsistent he can whack the crooked Pete Carroll for a handful of games this season.
    Isn't the real punishment having to coach the Seahens?