Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh

Josh

Goes to Portland. He may do all right with Oden, being a forward with Oden. Best of luck

Front line of Oden, Aldridge and McRoberts. Roy at point. Hell, maybe even Stevie Francis can contribute a bit. That team could be good.

Maybe Josh plays better when he's not the main go-to guy, and the main man on the team... like his freshman year. So, maybe with Oden, he'll work out just fine...

Bilas made the point that he made his reputation as a high school player in part because of his performance on the AAU team with Oden; I think it may be for the best and hopefully like Boozer, Duhon, and Ewing he makes his mark and gets a good contract sooner than others.

You've been in the heat too long

if you think McRoberts is going to start with Oden and Aldridge. McRoberts will need to bring something special to even make the team. He is going to need to beat out the cagey Raef LaFrentz for bench minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Front line of Oden, Aldridge and McRoberts. Roy at point.
    They also brought in Channing Frye in the Randolph deal and the Spanish guy Fernandez from the Suns. That's a really potent group of young bigs.

I was half joking. But it looks like he's gonna be a sixer now.

Edited to say -- ESPN is confusing me. There was a "T" by his pick. NOw it's gone. Still a BLazer
    Last edited by A-Tex Devil; 06-28-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    if you think McRoberts is going to start with Oden and Aldridge. McRoberts will need to bring something special to even make the team. He is going to need to beat out the cagey Raef LaFrentz for bench minutes.
    I agree, Josh will have his hands full getting playing time for Portland. Dropping to 37 was quite a fall for him, as he would have been taken much earlier had he come out last year. You can see now how NBA scouts and coaches rated him. Many more power forwards were taken ahead of him. He will have to improve significantly to earn playing time at the NBA level. He was an intense player for Duke and for that I thank him and wish him well going forward.

Portland will trade either Josh, Fyre, or Aldridge for an experienced Point Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Maybe Josh plays better when he's not the main go-to guy, and the main man on the team... like his freshman year. So, maybe with Oden, he'll work out just fine...
    13 points, 7.9 boards, 3.5 assists, 2.5 blocks, 50.2% from the field in 35 minutes sophomore year.

8.7 points, 5.3 boards, 1.5 assists, 1.3 blocks, 60.5% from the field in 25 minutes freshman year.

which year looks better to you?

I hate that he fell that far, but perhaps if he had hit a LAYUP AT ANY MOMENT ALL YEAR he would have gone higher.

Fall or Reality?

Who was telling Josh he was a first rounder? this could be one of the worst, see Will Avery, Duke draft moves in recent years. Josh simply is not that great of a player and it proved itself out tonight. he's a freakishly crazy athlete, but you actually need to put that round ball in the bucket every once in a while to play in the nba...I'm not surprised at all that a guy who cannot shot, who seems to have an attitude problem, and doesn't have a set position was selected as a dark horse in round two.

What is scary is, how can he get any better in the nba? Nobody gets better in the league. 3 years and he may be out if he is lucky.

phaedrus... thanks a bunch for the stats. I was just going on "gut feel" of what was expected vs what was accomplished between freshman and sophomore years. He wasn't expected much as a freshman, but did well. He was expected to be the man as a sophomore, and by most accounts, was a disappointment... even if his stats were better...

That's a really young front line!

What is the situation with Darius Miles? Is he still with Portland?

I feel bad for Josh, but I doubt that he'll have trouble contributing. The trailblazers have assembled a team that will have Oden, Aldridge, Channing Frye, Raef Lafrentz, Joel Pryzbila and Josh McRoberts. Except for Lafrentz, those guys are all young and very tall. McRoberts may be the second-best defender of the group and he's certainly going to bring some skills that the others do not. With Oden and Aldridge planted down low, I can see McRoberts racking up the assists, blocks, and offensive rebounds that will make him very useful.

It's amazing to think back to the Goergetown game where McRoberts did an excellent job defending Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green, who was taken #5 overall and now watching him fall all the way to the second round. I think that the lesson about Duke players being good pros hasn't really been "learned" by the NBA, but we can only wait and see... Sean Williams at #17?!?!? That was really stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    What is scary is, how can he get any better in the nba? Nobody gets better in the league. 3 years and he may be out if he is lucky.
    What about Shav? but I think injuries and "bulk" were also factors...

Who was telling Josh he was a first rounder? this could be one of the worst, see Will Avery, Duke draft moves in recent years. Josh simply is not that great of a player and it proved itself out tonight. he's a freakishly crazy athlete, but you actually need to put that round ball in the bucket every once in a while to play in the nba...I'm not surprised at all that a guy who cannot shot, who seems to have an attitude problem, and doesn't have a set position was selected as a dark horse in round two.

I didn't see a mock draft that had Josh out of the 1st round. This reflects how deep this draft is and how volatile it has become. I'm sad to see him fall this far; I hope he goes and proves all those teams wrong.

What is scary is, how can he get any better in the nba? Nobody gets better in the league.
    Say what? I'm pretty sure Elton Brand didn't hit his athletic peak while he was at Duke, nor Lebron while he was at St. Vincent/St. Mary, nor Tony Parker while he was in France, nor pretty much any other NBA player while he was in college/high school/another country. Everyone who belongs in the NBA improves their game while they're there. If they don't, they're probably a very limited and mediocre player and no amount of college prep could have changed that.

Josh showed a lot of raw talent while he was at Duke, he just wasn't ever able to put it all together. It's very presumptuous to assume he won't get any better in the NBA.

I totally agree. Josh and that guy Boozer will be total busts in the NBA. They were silly to leave Duke so early and will never be successful in the NBA.

Wasn't there just an article about Duke players in the NBA linked off the front page that praised K for preparing players for NBA development?

Josh simply is not that great of a player and it proved itself out tonight. ...

Draft position does not determine greatness. In fact, I would argue that it is only marginally tied to how long and how well a player does in the association. I don't have hard numbers to back this up, but I'm going to say that for every superstar picked at #1-#5 story, there is at least 2 stories about someone picked higher who bombed.

There have already been posts about your error in judgment of lack of development in the NBA, but let me add that Boozer has certainly outplayed his draft rank (as has Duhon) and he has improved in his time in the pros as well.

All the draft tells us is what people think of payers today, when thy have never played a pro game. I'd give Josh a decent chance of outlasting a couple of the first rounders in the draft for longevity and performance. I'm certainly unclear how Noah was picked so far in front of him - on the list of 'power forwards better then McBob', Noah was way down there in my book. Thornton will outperform him ( and Josh) for years to come.

The draft is more fun when we have a couple of players in the top 10.

Exiled