Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I thought folks might enjoy reading some of this article from Yahoo's NBA blog. It talks about how physical and intense the Bulls-Pacers series has been, but the part people will enjoy is the effusive praise heaped upon Luol Deng.

Luol is averaging 42 minutes per game in the post-season. As much as Rose runs the offense and grabs all the headlines, Deng is the glue that holds the team together in so many different ways. He has turned into the stud that everyone** knew he would be when he left Duke.

--Jason "**- except Billy Knight, the stupidest GM in NBA history... Josh Childress instead of Deng... really?!@?!?!?!" Evans
    As someone who follows the NBA reasonably closely you don't find a lot written about Deng. This despite him being one of the most efficient players when healthy. I guess his body betrayed him for a few years hence leading to his quiet profile.

I do sometimes secretly wonder what the 05 and 06 Duke teams would have been like with So & Jr Deng. I think the 06 team would have been special. But I guess every major program that lost players early to the draft can say the same thing...

But yes, the Pacer's series is great for the Bulls as at least the Pacer's play hard and furious. Not sure the Hawks or the Magic will be as frenetic as Indiana, more skilled definitely, but not as intense.

"Who's your Daddy" now New York. That was an absolute beat down today. I thought NY matched up well with the Celtics...I was wrong...dead wrong. If anybody believes that C.Billups would have made a big difference, no way!

Miami really will be looking at this series wishing NY had at least made it longer, more physical and more draining for Boston.

The Hawks/Magic series sure looks like it will be a long one. I bet this time last year no one could have imagined the Magic would have slipped this far. I really don't feel the Hawks have improved that much, a few new players and a slightly more committed approach to defense, but no drastic changes. The Magic have made drastic changes and well, the proof is in the 2-1 series deficit they face in round one after sweeping the Hawks last year.

Bulls Pacers series

Having an extremely hard time with this series. Mike D just got a 3 shot foul against Luol (he totally kicked his leg out and drew the foul). Then Dahntay fouls Luol by pushing him to get free on a screen. Then Lu gets an and-one against McBob. Crazy!

Champions...

I'm trying to figure out who has managed to win at all 3 events: NCAA title, NBA champion, and Olympic gold medalist. So far, I've only come up with 2 (Magic and Jordan) but there are a few potential ones currently in the playoffs (most notably Boozer and Carmelo). Can anyone think of others that fit this category? A lot of people fit 2 out of 3 categories.

per yahoo - In no order, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Jerry Lucas, Quinn Buckner, Clyde Lovelette, K.C. Jones.
    Also, Richard "Rip" Hamilton: UConn Huskies NCAA 1999; Olympic Gold , Detroit Pistons NBA title 2004

Hamilton won gold in the Tournament of the Americas, not the Olympics. I think everyone else on the list is correct though. Thanks!

In case anyone noticed today, at one point in the fourth quarter Luol, McBobs, Dahntay, Boozer, and Dunleavy were all on the floor at the same time. This means that half the players at that moment were Duke alums. I am betting this is an all-time record for most Duke players on the floor at one time in the playoffs.

Talking Loving It

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    In case anyone noticed today, at one point in the fourth quarter Luol, McBobs, Dahntay, Boozer, and Dunleavy were all on the floor at the same time. This means that half the players at that moment were Duke alums. I am betting this is an all-time record for most Duke players on the floor at one time in the playoffs.
    I was loving the game -- but it was hard to pick a team to root for.

Now Battier has just sunk two threes for the Grizz against the Spurs.

sagegrouse

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    ...I do sometimes secretly wonder what the 05 and 06 Duke teams would have been like with So & Jr Deng. I think the 06 team would have been special. But I guess every major program that lost players early to the draft can say the same thing...
    I have long contended that of all the early entrants from Duke since Elton, Will, and Corey broke the barrier in 1999, Luol's departure had the most impact. Especially if he'd stayed for 3 years, you could see a team built around 3 stars - JJ, Shelden, and Luol - being a major force in the tournament instead of an earlier than expected exit.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Then you just look at the Denver Nuggets smelling of Tar Heels...no wonder they lost, ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I have long contended that of all the early entrants from Duke since Elton, Will, and Corey broke the barrier in 1999, Luol's departure had the most impact. Especially if he'd stayed for 3 years, you could see a team built around 3 stars - JJ, Shelden, and Luol - being a major force in the tournament instead of an earlier than expected exit.
    The 2006 team was when I knew, despite the fact I live in Australia and have no affiliation to Duke, I was a fan of Duke basketball, the types of students they bring in and of Coach K. I was so flat after Duke lost to LSU, I really thought Duke was going to roll that team. Still the best game Tyrus Thomas has EVER played. Had Luol been there I have no doubt it would have been a different story...but had K.Durant played for 4 years at Texas things may have been different for Duke in 2010, who knows.

OKC really showed a lot today, I really thought the Nuggets crowd would get them over the line. Ibaka is a real stud and will fit with Perkins perfectly for the next 3-4 years. Durant just makes basketball look so easy and Westbrook is almost as fast as D.Rose. A scary team indeed.

On a side note the Spurs looked awful against Memphis. A number one seed knotted at one all in a series should just pound the opposition, much like the Lakers did to the Hornets. San Antonio looked helpless against Randolph and just imagine if Rudy Gay was playing?

Thumbs up JJ to get more PT

Richardson's suspension for Orlando is good news for JJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=6415406

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    Richardson's suspension for Orlando is good news for JJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=6415406
    Hope his body is up for it, the Magic need it.

Is it possible to be an alumnus without graduating?

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Yes. An alumnus is a graduate or former student of a school.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes. An alumnus is a graduate or former student of a school.
    More specifically, Duke defines it as having completed a full year of study (which is why they started hitting me up for donations at the beginning of sophomore year!), so Luol is considered an alumnus

Talking Exes and Exes

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    You bet! The practice elsewhere is to use the term "Exes" to designate former students. I think it began at the University of Texas (where "Texas Exes" is euphonic if not actually grammatical) and adopted by other schools as a more inclusive and less pretentious term. It makes sense at the state schools where graduation rates are low (not necessarily the problem at UT).

sagegrouse

Sometimes I feel like I don't know anything about sports. I thought that the Hawks would be swept by the Magic...and of course they are now up 3-1.

CP3 was otherworldy again tonight...series tied 2-2.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I don't know anything about sports. I thought that the Hawks would be swept by the Magic...and of course they are now up 3-1
    You and me both. The Hawks showed no back bone last year and now they're one win away from bouncing Magic. I assumed dumping Vince Carter was a good thing!

Do you think the Lakers are in trouble, or just getting a wake up call...since we're both so good at predicting stuff