Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    You are right about MJ, of course, and I think it's also right that, from a personality/endorsement point of view, MJ was lucky to be in the pre-twitter generation--because he was a mega-star with mega-endorsements before the everyday fans realized he could be, well, sort of a jerk.

Certainly from the point of view of success on the court, confidence and even cockiness can be huge assets, as long as they are balanced by a good sense of what your teammates can do and good judgement about when to defer to them and when to do things yourself. And you are also right that LeBron is not unselfish on the court (some critics, in fact, suggested he wasn't selfish enough).

But there's a difference between being humble on the court (I don't think Kyrie Irving is humble there) and being humble, or perhaps more accurately having a sense of perspective about your role on a team and in the game, off the court. I think these aspects do affect how players are perceived and what kinds of legacies they leave with fans (although it's obviously sort of individual--personally, I like Paul Pierce, for example--but then I'm a Celtics fan).

Bottom line for LeBron is, I think he has two choices now. He can continue to develop the confrontational anti-hero stance and hope that the chip on his shoulder will make him stronger, or he can dial that back and try to win back fan support by dealing with losses a little more gracefully and publicly shouldering more responsibility for them (I suspect he may do this in private), and by toning down his rather "entitled" sounding predictions of multiple titles. His choice, obviously, and I don't have any special insight into which is likely to make him more effective on the court. But my gut instinct, as noted above, is that he was more relaxed as the hero than as the villain.
    Being outwardly humble isn't a necessity. Jordan wasn't humble, nor is Bryant. O'Neal wasn't humble either (though O'Neal had way more personality than those guys). But a difference I see between those guys and James (and now Wade as well) is that those guys didn't lash out at the media and/or fans when things went badly for them. Jordan was mostly media-aloof, similar to Bryant. Those guys just gave "blah" answers about playing better and remaining focused. O'Neal just cracked jokes at the expense of his teammates or opponents when things went bad. Those guys may not have liked being in the despised role, but they didn't let it show in public.

I agree with you that both James and Wade seem uncomfortable with how to handle being the anti-hero. They are overly defensive and whiny. Unfortunately for them, I think they'll have to go through a lot more failure to get out of the despised role. If they win, they'll still be despised, but at least they'll have the monkey off their backs. But as long as they act petulant in adverse moments, they'll remain despised.

Why

is so space given to the second best player on the losing team?

Why not more on the Mavs and their great playoff run.

SoCal

Ohio Governor Kasich piles on and proclaims the Mavericks honorary Ohioans for the day with this jab at LBJ

Whereas, NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Dirk Nowitzki chose to re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks in the summer of 2010, forgoing free agency and keeping his talents in Dallas, remaining loyal to the team, city and fans for whom he played his entire career...

http://governor.ohio.gov/LinkClick.a...7Q%3D&tabid=74

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Ohio Governor Kasich piles on and proclaims the Mavericks honorary Ohioans for the day with this jab at LBJ

Whereas, NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Dirk Nowitzki chose to re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks in the summer of 2010, forgoing free agency and keeping his talents in Dallas, remaining loyal to the team, city and fans for whom he played his entire career...

http://governor.ohio.gov/LinkClick.a...7Q%3D&tabid=74
    what a bitter old putz...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Umm, James was pretty money in the 4th against Boston and Chicago this year. He was especially instrumental in the Chicago series where Wade struggled. How quickly people forget those moments when it's convenient for a story line. And he did score 7 (on 3 of 5 shooting) in the 4th last night, so he wasn't awful either. He just didn't get a ton of help (this time it was Bosh and Wade failing the team down the stretch), and the Heat couldn't stop the Mavs enough on the other end.

The "James can't finish" thing is highly overstated. He had a strange series for sure, but he's had plenty of good 4th quarter performances. He seems like kind of a punk and he's brought a ton of the angst on himself, but he's definitely been up to the challenge plenty of times in the past.
    Seriously. I understand the human instinct to fit events into a consistent narrative, but how do you just brush off the greatest 4th quarter in NBA playoff history as "one game against Detroit 4 years ago"? He's not Jordan, but it's not like he's never had any fire to him.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    what a bitter old putz...
    I thought that was pretty good. I'm sure they had a good bit of fun with it too. Part of the process of healing the stab wounds in the back.

Though not an NBA fan, I am aware of the Mavs' fine performance. There's an interesting reference to Duke in the following article, a few paragraphs in. The contrast between, on the one hand, Duke/Yankees/Cowboys/Raiders, and on the other the Heat is to me sort of intriguing. But I think others might have more insightful thoughts on this.

Link: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/06...75&feedID=3628

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    is so space given to the second best player on the losing team?

Why not more on the Mavs and their great playoff run.

SoCal
    Because the Heat are a lot more interesting, even in defeat. And LeBron is the most compelling of all, with his gradual public metamorphosis from teenage phenom to action hero to unparalleled villain. Think about it -- Dark Knight was a pretty incredible movie. Did people come away talking more about Batman? Or was it Heath Ledger's interpretation of the Joker? I loved Silence of the Lambs, and not because of the heroic Jodie Foster character, but because of Hannibal Lecter. People like the heel. There's a touch of danger, more intrigue.

I don't think anyone here is discounting the Mavs' victory, but LeBron is -- for better or for worse -- the face of the league, and will be for a long time. In addition, he's the poster child and the test case for sports celebrity in this information age. I respect the Mavs' championship and even have a Dirk jersey (Team Germany, of all things). But LeBron is far more unique, and most certainly more vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    ...but because of Hannibal Lecter. People like the heel. There's a touch of danger, more intrigue.
    Did you just compare us to a cannibal? I know we throw players under the bus and all, but I didn't realize we ate them afterwards!

People like the heel.
    Nobody likes a Heel.

I of course meant heel in the professional wrestling sense, and certainly would never compare a Tar Heel to Dr. Lecter. They're not nearly cultured enough. (I kid)

I said it earlier in the thread, and others have said it very eloquently, but I'll say it again:

Spoelstra deserves more blame than LeBron James.

Trade coaches and the Heat win the series. There's no question in my mind.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Jokes

I will admit I have not poured over this entire thread to see if anyone has posted about the many Lebron jokes going around today, but... just in case no one has...

Q: Why didn't Le Bron James go to college?
    A: He didn't want to show up for the finals.

Q: Why are Lebron's clothes always dirty?
    A: His laundry machine requires 4 quarters.

Tomorrow is Le Bron James Day in Dallas. Everyone gets to leave work
    12 minutes early.

In the offseason, LeBron's going to train with the Miami Police
    Department; they're not afraid to shoot.

Have you heard about the new Lebron iPhone?
    You have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings.
    -Jason "I do not claim authorship of the above" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will admit I have not poured over this entire thread to see if anyone has posted about the many Lebron jokes going around today, but... just in case no one has...

-Jason "I do not claim authorship of the above" Evans
    -I asked LeBron for a dollar and he gave me 75 cents. He just didn't have the 4th quarter.
    -LeBron, according to sources, is scheduling a press conference tomorrow where he will announce that he will join the Florida Panthers of the NHL should there be a NBA lockout. He reportedly is confident he'll dominate in the NHL since they have only 3 periods.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I said it earlier in the thread, and others have said it very eloquently, but I'll say it again:

Spoelstra deserves more blame than LeBron James.

Trade coaches and the Heat win the series. There's no question in my mind.
    Instead of assigning blame to Spo or LBJ why not give credit to Rick Carlisle? He out coached everyone else this season. Had Spo made changes RC would have countered. I mean some of the stuff he came up with (zone, JJB starting) was so well timed!

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have to back to my life and my problems...if only I was a rich baller I'd be much better than myself!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Instead of assigning blame to Spo or LBJ why not give credit to Rick Carlisle? He out coached everyone else this season. Had Spo made changes RC would have countered. I mean some of the stuff he came up with (zone, JJB starting) was so well timed!

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have to back to my life and my problems...if only I was a rich baller I'd be much better than myself!
    Yeah, credit should go to the Mavs. Carlisle made great coaching decisions and the players did a great job of executing (phenomenal 3-point shooting by the Mavs in this series).

I loved Silence of the Lambs, and not because of the heroic Jodie Foster character, but because of Hannibal Lecter. People like the heel. There's a touch of danger, more intrigue.
    I think that the truth is that people hate the heel, but the existence of a heel makes the hero more enjoyable.

People like sky-diving/car-racing/bungie/etc because they are thrilling activities---there is a hint of death. However, pretty much no normal person wants to die. What they want is to experience death from a safe distance in order to feel alive.

Gambling is another example. The fact that there is money at stake makes a game more fun, but no one wants to lose. People want to experience the danger of the possibility of losing but they don't actually want to experience losing.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    -I asked LeBron for a dollar and he gave me 75 cents. He just didn't have the 4th quarter.
    -LeBron, according to sources, is scheduling a press conference tomorrow where he will announce that he will join the Florida Panthers of the NHL should there be a NBA lockout. He reportedly is confident he'll dominate in the NHL since they have only 3 periods.
    From Poltico:
    "Apparently, a loss for LBJ is a win for Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Following the Dallas Mavericks' triumph over the Miami Heat...the governor issued a resolution, honoring the Texas team...He 'declared members of the team and their fans to be 'Honorary Ohioans.' Gov. Kasich praised the Mavericks for the loyalty, integrity and teamwork they demonstrated throughout the season."

Utterly ridiculous and to be filed under that 'jump the shark' category that DBR had a couple of days back.
    Hey, Ohio! Take that chill pill already!!!

This cannot be real, right?

No way this photo is real, is it?

-Jason "Mark Cuban is the best owner in sports!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No way this photo is real, is it?

-Jason "Mark Cuban is the best owner in sports!" Evans
    I'd bet you are right. The cap is not on backwards. Cuban rarely wears a cap, but when he does, it's almost always a rally cap.