Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NBA Playoffs

Playoffs! The REAL NBA season begins this weekend. Lots of subplots: an aging defending champ, a gravitas-shifting trade, a young upstart team led by the league MVP, the torch possibly being snatched from Kobe by LeBron. I'm excited!

Who do you guys think wins the first round series? Here's the matchups:

East -
    1. Bulls vs 8. Pacers
    2. Heat vs 7. 76ers
    3. Celtics vs 6. Knickerbockers
    4. Magic vs. 5. Hawks

West -
    1. Spurs vs 8. Grizzlies
    2. Lakers vs 7. Hornets
    3. Mavericks vs 6. TrailBlazers
    4. Thunder vs 5. Nuggets

I am going with all the favorites in the East and West in the first round. I have considered the top 4 seeds in both conferences to be the top 8 teams in the league all year, and that almost always means they advance in the NBA playoffs.

The Knicks have the best chance of upsetting their opponent, but the Celtics have too much pride and experience to carry them through (as long as the old men on the C's front line dont come up lame). I could also see the Blazers giving the Mavs a run for their money, since the Mavs have only won a single playoff series since their Finals appearance in 2006. But Dirk has played well this season and may be the most clutch shooter in the league (sorry Kobe, you miss too often). Also Tyson Chandler is a great defensive addition.

Don't sleep on Denver: they are mega dangerous. Also, if my knix can keep it close against Boston, melo and stat can take them down, possession by possession. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    Don't sleep on Denver: they are mega dangerous. Also, if my knix can keep it close against Boston, melo and stat can take them down, possession by possession. At least that's what I'm telling myself.
    Everyone is high on Denver right now because they gelled so quickly post-trade. But OKC is a baaaad matchup for them. They cant guard KD at the 3 and now OKC has the bulk at the 4-5 positions to be physical. Also, Denver's guards are pretty small.

Denver is also 1-3 vs. OKC this year including two recent losses.

I thought about this one before posting, but I really think Denver drew a bad card.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Everyone is high on Denver right now because they gelled so quickly post-trade. But OKC is a baaaad matchup for them. They cant guard KD at the 3 and now OKC has the bulk at the 4-5 positions to be physical. Also, Denver's guards are pretty small.

Denver is also 1-3 vs. OKC this year including two recent losses.

I thought about this one before posting, but I really think Denver drew a bad card.
    The way both teams have been playing, that first round series should be the most entertaining of the 8. Could see a lot of high scores, a lot of close contests, etc. But I agree with you that OKC has what it takes to get through Denver. I also think they can beat the Spurs in round 2 - sort of a changing of the guard series between the team that's been the most consistent in the West for the past decade+ against the newcomer that has been built on the Spurs model and hopes to take their place.

Of course, all of the above should be happening in Seattle. Grrrrrrrrr....
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    ... Denver is also 1-3 vs. OKC this year including two recent losses. ...
    If you have them at hand, post the other head-to-head series results. Would be interesting to see.

East -
    1. Bulls vs 8. Pacers
    2. Heat vs 7. 76ers
    3. Celtics vs 6. Knickerbockers
    4. Magic vs. 5. Hawks

West -
    1. Spurs vs 8. Grizzlies
    2. Lakers vs 7. Hornets
    3. Mavericks vs 6. TrailBlazers
    4. Thunder vs 5. Nuggets
    But most importantly, what will ex-Duke players do? Plenty of 'em here.

J.J., Duhon (Magic) Boozer. Deng (Bulls), Shelden (Knicks), McBobs, Dahntay and Dunleavy (Pacers), Elton (sixers), Battier (Grizzlies). Plenty to watch here.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post

J.J., Duhon (Magic) Boozer. Deng (Bulls), Shelden (Knicks), McBobs, Dahntay and Dunleavy (Pacers), Elton (sixers), Battier (Grizzlies). Plenty to watch here.
    Don't forget Quin coaching w/ the 76ers, Collins's dad w/ them as well (honorary Duke), Ferry as assistant GM of Spurs ... is Tony Barone still with Memphis in some capacity? ... Pagliuca owning Celtics ... isn't OKCity part-owned by a Duke guy as well ... Bob Bender with the Hawks ... Chip Engelland with Spurs ... any other assistants or front office Duke folks out there?

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post

And if you aren't a fan and need teams to root against...

Hansbrough (Pacers),
    Marvin Williams (Hawks),
    Lawson, Felton (Nuggets),
    Brendan Haywood (Mavericks),
    Danny Green (end of Spurs bench)

Battier hits the game-winning 3

In the final minute against the Spurs, Battier hit a three to put the Grizzlies up by one and they held on for a 101-98 win. The Grizzlies finished on a 7-0 run, coming back from a 98-94 deficit in the final minute.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumDuke View Post
    In the final minute against the Spurs, Battier hit a three to put the Grizzlies up by one and they held on for a 101-98 win. The Grizzlies finished on a 7-0 run, coming back from a 98-94 deficit in the final minute.
    That's why they call him Big Shot Shane! (Yeah, OK, maybe they don't call him that...but they should.)

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    That's why they call him Big Shot Shane! (Yeah, OK, maybe they don't call him that...but they should.)
    Shane just tweeted that they also welcomed Baby Battier to the world after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Shane just tweeted that they also welcomed Baby Battier to the world after the game.
    Who's your daddy? BATTIER!

Solid start to the 2029 recruiting class IMO.

Memphis used to have an awesome play by play announcer whose favorite phrase was:
    "Only in the movies...and in Memphis!"

If he were still alive to have called this game, he would have brought this one out again.

After the game, Coach Hollins said something to the effect 'I could care less about winning Memphis's first game, but nothing could have been more appropriate than Shane making the winning shot."

I always love Game 1 road team victories, always add some juice to a series. Still think Lakers and Spurs pull it out, but the West looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Amazing how teams with Battier on them tend to overachieve.

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    I always love Game 1 road team victories, always add some juice to a series. Still think Lakers and Spurs pull it out, but the West looks like it will be a lot of fun.
    Best possible news for casual fans, really. A lot of recent NBA press (Can Orlando win the East? Can Denver win the West?) has tried to serve one purpose: hope. Hope that there's just enough parity to delay the inevitable* so that people will still bother watching.

Interesting how it takes 2 months to eliminate 15 teams in the NBA playoffs, while the NCAA Tournament eliminates 16 teams in its first full day. I see, objectively, that pro basketball is a better product, but does it have to be so long and predictable?

Haven't rooted for a particular player or team in years. I'm more of a "Please, anything different" type of person.

*Lakers over Celtics. Kobe Bryant pretends to be excited. Derek Fisher celebrates his 96th birthday. Phil Jackson disapparates as he instantly merges with the Force. And a nation yawns.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Interesting how it takes 2 months to eliminate 15 teams in the NBA playoffs, while the NCAA Tournament eliminates 16 teams in its first full day. I see, objectively, that pro basketball is a better product, but does it have to be so long and predictable?

Haven't rooted for a particular player or team in years. I'm more of a "Please, anything different" type of person.

*Lakers over Celtics. Kobe Bryant pretends to be excited. Derek Fisher celebrates his 96th birthday. Phil Jackson disapparates as he instantly merges with the Force. And a nation yawns.
    Interesting perspective. I agree in the sense that the NBA product is better in terms of skill on the court, but that the college game provides an element that the NBA does not. Nothing beats an elimination style tournament, regardless of if it is Conference or NCAA's. That's why I'm always pleased that Duke chases the Conference Tournament championship because in my mind it really means something, obviously the NCAA's mean more, but those don't come around as often!

I also don't follow a particular NBA team but do find the playoffs interesting. It's more like a marathon than a sprint and after the college season finishes it's nice to have basketball on for a few more months.

What I like about this year more than most seasons is that I don't see a clear favorite on either side. I agree that the Lakers 'should' win the West, but the last few games I've watched them play they truly look awful. I was listening to Bill Simmons Podcast and he's all over the Oklahoma to get out of the West, but it would be a major leap. Plus Simmons is a self proclaimed Duke hater so he can shove it.

In the East I have no idea. The Bulls have looked the best over the year but you can't ignore how the Celts play this time of year and Miami has clearly the most top end talent. Either way it should be fun and unlike other years I don't feel that there are only 2 or 3 teams that have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

Also, who said Phil Jackson will merge with the force, don't recall many Duke players on his rosters over the years and one ultra famous Tar Heel...sounds like the Dark Side to me

Also, who said Phil Jackson will merge with the force, don't recall many Duke players on his rosters over the years and one ultra famous Tar Heel...sounds like the Dark Side to me
    I'm not sure these guys are "ultra famous." Oh, wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indeed, not a single Duke player has ever suited up for a Phil Jackson coached team. Sort of interesting, from a random statistical tidbit point of view.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The older, veteran teams really struggled this weekend. Lakers lost, Spurs lost, Celtics barely won. I suspect they will all win their series though. Oh yeah, Dallas has some old guys - Kidd is like 50 - and they won by 8.

It could be a lack of energy or maybe they needed a wakeup after a long regular season, but the age factor seemd to be common in the weekend upsets and near upsets.