Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    O and in other news I agree with whoever said Marshall redshirts not Murphy.
    Why couldn't they both redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Would Alex have to take Senior English in what would be Duke's summer school 1st session? If I recall, that's what Andre did.

I think Alex would get better practicing with Duke than he would with another year of high school, although an AAU summer is a pretty good laboratory for improving youself.
    Andre did not enroll in Duke's summer session. At least, definitely not the first one (maybe the second one, though). The vast majority of incoming recruits participate in summer session, but since Andre had a last minute change, he was unable to do so since he had to take Senior English at his high school over the summer. It appears that Murphy is on track to have all the requirements in place by his high school graduation in June, so he wouldn't have to take summer school at his HS. If you don't enroll in summer classes at Duke before your freshman year, you aren't eligible to participate in any summer trips. So, if Murphy went the Andre route (i.e. still needed credits over the summer for high school), I don't think he'd be able to go to China and Dubai with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    If all these guys do come to Duke, and they take courses in SS1, can they then practice with the team and make the China/Dubai trip? If the answer is yes, can one or more of them then redshirt next year?
    If an incoming freshman can take classes in Summer Session 2, they can practice with the team and make the trip to China. That is how the coaches explained it to us at the Blue Devil Club and that is their plan. That would have no impact on their being able to redshirt for the upcoming season.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Also if he instead stays 5 years with the red-shirt and 4 years of PT, Alex could carry 80% of the academic workload and manage his time better.
    Duke only allows students to underload for 2 semesters.

http://trinity.duke.edu/academic-req...=course-load-1

Quote Originally Posted by tylervinyard View Post
    Why couldn't they both redshirt?
    I think Murphy starts if we do not get DeAndre. If we do get him then I could see Murphy redshirting

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    I think Murphy starts if we do not get DeAndre. If we do get him then I could see Murphy redshirting
    That's quite the dramatic difference based on adding one player. Starting to redshirting?

Remember, Alex could play in a certain number of games before the redshirt decision needs to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That's quite the dramatic difference based on adding one player. Starting to redshirting?

Remember, Alex could play in a certain number of games before the redshirt decision needs to be made.
    I was thinking about this. When would that decsion have to be made? Is it after a certain number of game? Before the end of the first semester?

Are you sure that's the case? I thought that playing in a certain percentage of games affected your eligibility only for a medical redshirt. Any decisions on a redshirt for non-medical reasons must be made before game one and that appearing in any game disqualified you from redshirting.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Are you sure that's the case? I thought that playing in a certain percentage of games affected your eligibility only for a medical redshirt. Any decisions on a redshirt for non-medical reasons must be made before game one and that appearing in any game disqualified you from redshirting.
    That's a good question. I remember when I was in college (97-01), a friend of mine who played at VT got injured after 10 games and she was able to receive a medical redshirt for the year. I had assumed that would be the case for a non-medical redshirt, but now that you bring it up, I kind of think the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Yeah, I think you're on the right track.

Here's some info from an NCAA website

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.
    A medical redshirt is a different thing. I believe it is available in cases of injury so long as the player has played in less than 30% of the contests and none after mid-season, but I don't have the chapter and verse from NCAA regs.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Duke only allows students to underload for 2 semesters.

http://trinity.duke.edu/academic-req...=course-load-1
    Yes, but he could fill spring semesters (basketball semesters) with more easy classes and take harder classes for his major (if he plans on sticking around long enough) during the summers. With only 4 years, it is harder to do that.

As for some of the other questions, he cannot enroll in Summer 1 as it starts in May and he will still be in high school.

According to the Wikipedia page (you can Google "ncaa redshirt rule basketball" like I did), you can only get the redshirt after playing in some games if you get it for medical purposes, so we couldn't play Alex against MSU and in Maui before taking him out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, I think you're on the right track.

Here's some info from an NCAA website

A medical redshirt is a different thing. I believe it is available in cases of injury so long as the player has played in less than 30% of the contests and none after mid-season, but I don't have the chapter and verse from NCAA regs.
    This is from memory, but I believe the medical redshirt limit is 20% of the games, not 30%.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Hmmm...

"[Player X] should not [declare early for the NBA] - (1) he is not ready and too young to be on the road with grown men, (2) he can develop more by playing regularly in [college] than sitting on the bench in [the NBA], (3) you're only young once - he should stay in [college] and enjoy the experience..."

Just sayin' - not that the two situations are completely comparable, but I'm not sure it's 100% beneficial to be grabbing folks early out of high school -and some folks who think similarly about the NBA raiding college players before their time so to speak, might consider whether they feel the same in this situation with someone jumping to college.
    Not that I do not see your logic, and you make a good argument, but just to play devil's advocate:
    1. Murphy would be with his peer group and not mixed in with a group of men 10 years his senior
    2. I KNOW that Murphy would receive better coaching at Duke than he would at ANY high school or AAU program in the nation, so he would actually benefit from learning under K and the staff for a year.
    3. I am not so sure that his transferring to a post-graduate high school academy would be the same socially as staying in high school.

Now, if we were talking about him leaving after his sophomore or junior season of high school, I think all of your point would be right on the money. Plus the move from high school to college doesn’t have a financial benefit (in most cases) like going to the NBA. The financial gain is probably the most alluring thing about the NBA for these kids, and there is nothing similar to this when moving to college “early” from high school.

Redshirting is not meant to sound like he is not good. I just figured it would be better that way if one of them redshirt (Murphy or Daniels) and I said Murphy because to me it would make more sense than Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I have a question - if the NBA locks out its players and no CBA is in effect for a period of time, is the one-and-done rule currently in effect? If it is not, can high school players go straight to the NBA until there is a new CBA? The timing of the expiration seems to make it unlikely unless a lockout extends for a year. In the same vein, though, can recently college-committed high school football players (like Jadaveon Clowney) forego college and declare for the NFL draft? I'm guessing the answer is no because no one has done it, but does anyone know?
    The issue, at least in the NFL, is that teams can't sign free agents or make trades without a CBA being in place. Even though there will still be a draft, I don't think drafted players can sign with the team that drafted them until a new CBA is reached. It helps if you think of drafted rookies as a type of restricted free agent. Even though there would be no CBA and therefore no rule against underclassmen, drafted players couldn't sign until there was a CBA. Presumably, a new CBA would have the minimum age rule and prevent underclassmen from signing contracts in the NFL until they were of age.

The NBA on the other hand seems to have been smarter with the NFL with their scheduling. As the NBA's current CBA doesn't expire until July and the draft is June 23, the draft will take place under the current CBA and include it's age minimum. As others have said on this site, teams will probably wait to sign their draft picks until a new CBA is in place instead of before the current one expires. However, I'd assume that if the CBA expires before a new deal is reached, there would be a freeze on signing free agents and making trades similar to the one in the NFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a player can play in exhibition games and not use up his eligibility.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a player can play in exhibition games and not use up his eligibility.
    Does anyone remember if Curry played in exhibitions prior to the 09-10 season?

I'm pretty positive that he's not coming...

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Does anyone remember if Curry played in exhibitions prior to the 09-10 season?
    He didn't. Box scores from those games:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204826845

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204820496

But that might not matter, as Curry's situation wasn't a redshirt season. I can't think of recent college basketball players who redshirted without medical reasons, but those are the box scores you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Yes, but he could fill spring semesters (basketball semesters) with more easy classes and take harder classes for his major (if he plans on sticking around long enough) during the summers. With only 4 years, it is harder to do that.
    Why would it be harder? If you're substituting summer classes for spring classes an extra year doesn't make any difference. It's not like the summer semesters are cancelled.