Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very surprising and pleasing development, given how (supposedly) opposed his high school was to early graduations. Now the question is will he enroll in time to attend the second summer session and make the trip to China, and gain all that extra practice and game time with the team? That will go a LONG way to determine who, if anyone, will decide to redshirt this season and who won't. Playing time will be fluid all season, as it is every season. Best examples from last season are Andre Dawkins and both Plumlee's, each of whose status went from MOTM (well, Dre and Mason's anyway) to residents in the doghouse to solid contributors in the ACCT and NCAAT. I'll let the coaching staff sort out playing time and roles as the season progresses. Won't it be fun!

And no, I'm not worried if Kyrie doesn't come back. Our cupboard is pretty well stocked either way!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Kyrie's not coming back, Mason's not going anywhere.

We should have some very crowded practices next year! The competition will be intense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    Looking back, it appears Kedsy is correct. He announced his intention to sign with an agent, but has yet to do so. Kyrie isn't coming back, but at this point it isn't 'official'.
    Kyrie said he won't sign with an agent until after May 8th, which I said was curious. Not that I'm curiously optimistic, just curious... because it does leave doors open. Not that I expect him to walk through that door. But he is a teenager and stranger things have happened. So it's just one of life's curiosities at this point.

9F 9F 9F

the next few weeks should be really interesting....

Am I the only one that thinks he should stick around high school and get another full season of HS, AAU, and various camps in before he comes to Duke? I'd hate to see someone transfer as a result of the logjam of talent we have this year.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks he should stick around high school and get another full season of HS, AAU, and various camps in before he comes to Duke? I'd hate to see someone transfer as a result of the logjam of talent we have this year.
    no, but I think he is better off come in and redshirting at Duke.

Well, maybe he'd redshirt. I think he'd improve more practicing and training at Duke for free than he would going to various camps with other high schoolers (which I assume costs money). He would have access to the best facilities, trainers, and coaches in the country at Duke even if he doesn't play in any games. Now, if he wants to be a high school senior and participate in the All-Star games, etc. I see nothing wrong with that and that's his choice. You're only a kid once. But I can see the argument for going to Duke early even if it means he plays very little during actual games or even not at all.

Hmmm...

"[Player X] should not [declare early for the NBA] - (1) he is not ready and too young to be on the road with grown men, (2) he can develop more by playing regularly in [college] than sitting on the bench in [the NBA], (3) you're only young once - he should stay in [college] and enjoy the experience..."

Just sayin' - not that the two situations are completely comparable, but I'm not sure it's 100% beneficial to be grabbing folks early out of high school -and some folks who think similarly about the NBA raiding college players before their time so to speak, might consider whether they feel the same in this situation with someone jumping to college.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Hmmm...

"[Player X] should not [declare early for the NBA] - (1) he is not ready and too young to be on the road with grown men, (2) he can develop more by playing regularly in [college] than sitting on the bench in [the NBA], (3) you're only young once - he should stay in [college] and enjoy the experience..."

Just sayin' - not that the two situations are completely comparable, but I'm not sure it's 100% beneficial to be grabbing folks early out of high school -and some folks who think similarly about the NBA raiding college players before their time so to speak, might consider whether they feel the same in this situation with someone jumping to college.
    what do you mean "jumping to college". The kid is not 13 and- and has finished 4 years of high school- so he will be with his peer group. A lot of his HS friends will be out of school as well. I do not see the issue here. Get a head start academically- play with much better players- learn the system- all sounds like a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    what do you mean "jumping to college". The kid is not 13 and- and has finished 4 years of high school- so he will be with his peer group. A lot of his HS friends will be out of school as well. I do not see the issue here. Get a head start academically- play with much better players- learn the system- all sounds like a win-win.
    Oh, I'm just being argumentative and playing devil's advocate and making the point that the same arguments about growing up too fast and getting playing time and experience may apply here as well, especially if we are as crowded for PT as people expect and given the demands that must be put on our student-athletes (frequently performing on television, thousands of peoplle who have never met you suddenly hating you, e.g.). Honestly, I haven't followed enough of Alex Murphy's career to say whether this is a win or a loss for him (and I'm sure he wouldn't care if I did...)

Telep's take in his just comlpeted chat:

Q: If Duke adds Alex Murphy a year early and DeAndre Daniels could they jump UK and St Johns as the best recruiting class?

Telep: "... there's a chance that Alex Murphy will enroll a year early at Duke. Is it a done deal? Nope. BUT, the possibility does in fact exist. I don't know the dates for summer school at Duke but I imagine we'd hear a few weeks prior. I don't think he'd play AAU this summer, skip summer school and then enroll. If he's going to do it, my guess is he jumps in with two feet."

With the late full court press on Daniels, along with this news, the skeptic in me is concerned this may signal that Mason might, in fact, be headed out the door. It would certainly make sense that if Mason were to leave, there'd be more potential room/need for Murphy and his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    With the late full court press on Daniels, along with this news, the skeptic in me is concerned this may signal that Mason might, in fact, be headed out the door. It would certainly make sense that if Mason were to leave, there'd be more potential room/need for Murphy and his size.
    Per airowe

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

We should have some very crowded practices next year! The competition will be intense.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

Airowe you are the one solitary guy I trust on this site and when you put that it made me lose almost all of my hope for Kyrie returning. I have not lost hope completely but im only hanging by a thread now.

O and in other news I agree with whoever said Marshall redshirts not Murphy.

I would be extremely happy if Murphy can come early. I have been as excited about him as I have been about any recruit in a long time. I believe he would be in line right away to start at the 3 over Dawkins, Kelly or Gbinije as well as Daniels. I just wonder why Daniels would be the priority that he is if Murphy is able to enroll a year early. They basically would play the same spot, either the 3 or 4 depending upon the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, maybe he'd redshirt. I think he'd improve more practicing and training at Duke for free than he would going to various camps with other high schoolers (which I assume costs money). He would have access to the best facilities, trainers, and coaches in the country at Duke even if he doesn't play in any games. Now, if he wants to be a high school senior and participate in the All-Star games, etc. I see nothing wrong with that and that's his choice. You're only a kid once. But I can see the argument for going to Duke early even if it means he plays very little during actual games or even not at all.
    It also makes sense from an academic standpoint.

Any 5th year of HS credits are for naught, versus earning college credits toward the Jason Williams 3 year to graduate plan. The difference between paying rent and earning equity.

Also if he instead stays 5 years with the red-shirt and 4 years of PT, Alex could carry 80% of the academic workload and manage his time better.

So he gets the social adjustment to college out of the way, learns the Duke system on both ends of the floor, has access to much better Strength & Conditioining, and practices against ACC calinber guys.

No way Alex would not be a much more impactful player in 2012 than if he instead made the AAU circuit. In some ways AAU reinforces habits that have to be broken once gets into a team oriented college game like Duke's.

There is no down side whether Alex and his parents want the 5 years of paid Duke education or have earleir NBA aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    It also makes sense from an academic standpoint.

Any 5th year of HS credits are for naught, versus earning college credits toward the Jason Williams 3 year to graduate plan. The difference between paying rent and earning equity.

Also if he instead stays 5 years with the red-shirt and 4 years of PT, Alex could carry 80% of the academic workload and manage his time better.

So he gets the social adjustment to college out of the way, learns the Duke system on both ends of the floor, has access to much better Strength & Conditioining, and practices against ACC calinber guys.

No way Alex would not be a much more impactful player in 2012 than if he instead made the AAU circuit. In some ways AAU reinforces habits that have to be broken once gets into a team oriented college game like Duke's.

There is no down side whether Alex and his parents want the 5 years of paid Duke education or have earleir NBA aspirations.
    Or, like many of our 5th year players, take graduate (Masters) classes. That's what Nick Horvath did when he had to redshirt due to injury.

9F 9F 9F

By coming to Duke with the Class of 2011, he would start the clock on his time out of high school, which may be important to him, particularly if the next CBA extends the one-and-done rule to two-and-done.

I have a question - if the NBA locks out its players and no CBA is in effect for a period of time, is the one-and-done rule currently in effect? If it is not, can high school players go straight to the NBA until there is a new CBA? The timing of the expiration seems to make it unlikely unless a lockout extends for a year. In the same vein, though, can recently college-committed high school football players (like Jadaveon Clowney) forego college and declare for the NFL draft? I'm guessing the answer is no because no one has done it, but does anyone know?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

If all these guys do come to Duke, and they take courses in SS1, can they then practice with the team and make the China/Dubai trip? If the answer is yes, can one or more of them then redshirt next year?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    If all these guys do come to Duke, and they take courses in SS1, can they then practice with the team and make the China/Dubai trip? If the answer is yes, can one or more of them then redshirt next year?
    Would Alex have to take Senior English in what would be Duke's summer school 1st session? If I recall, that's what Andre did.

I think Alex would get better practicing with Duke than he would with another year of high school, although an AAU summer is a pretty good laboratory for improving youself.