Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Alex Murphy Cleared to Graduate High School Early

According to Wiederer...

Only now, Murphy has apparently been cleared to graduate early from St. Mark’s School near Boston, allowing him to potentially enroll at Duke this fall, a year earlier than originally planned.
    http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbask...more-stars-to-

He also says it is expected that Daniels commits either during or shortly after his visit. Thought this was an interesting enough topic to have its own thread so that people would see it. He doesn't definitively say Murphy will enroll at Duke early, but it would seem silly to me to graduate early at his high school and just stay there. Going to a post-grad year at IMG Academy or something like that a la Daniels would be possible, but I'd imagine if he's already committed to Duke, he'd rather go to Duke for free and train with some of the best players in the country. Interesting development!

That would be an incredible assortment of talent. It would also be incredibly crowded. I'd be intrigued to see which freshmen step up and play serious minutes -- guys like Daniels, Cook and Murphy may be ready to play right away, and we know Austin is. I'd also be interested to see how Gbinije and Hairston fit into the equation, if they do.

We will have so many freshmen coming in. How is the rotation going to work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That would be an incredible assortment of talent. It would also be incredibly crowded. I'd be intrigued to see which freshmen step up and play serious minutes -- guys like Daniels, Cook and Murphy may be ready to play right away, and we know Austin is. I'd also be interested to see how Gbinije and Hairston fit into the equation, if they do.
    WOW..this will be SO interesting...especially if Kyrie decides to return....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, some of the more knowledgeable posters have also indicated that Murphy may elect to redshirt for what would have been his final year of high school believing that he will improve more substantially if he spends a year practicing at Duke rather than playing high school level competition.

If this happens we are likely to see at least one redshirt. I would think it would be Murphy or MG but both are extremely skilled so who knows. This could also mean a possible transfer. It is certain though that some very talented players may not see much time next year, Hairston, Thornton, MG, Murphy, Dawkins. Very interesting development.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    WOW..this will be SO interesting...especially if Kyrie decides to return....
    Kyrie has given no reason to think he will return. In fact, the more guys who return, the better his prospective draft spot becomes. Kyrie is not coming back.

An interesting development... we are going to be PACKED with talent.

EDIT TO ADD: Moon, dream for me too BTW, you are out of space in your inbox
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 04-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, some of the more knowledgeable posters have also indicated that Murphy may elect to redshirt for what would have been his final year of high school believing that he will improve more substantially if he spends a year practicing at Duke rather than playing high school level competition.
    Yeah, I saw that. There's no question he'd get more improvement out of practicing at Duke than playing high school games, I just wonder whether a player of his caliber would be interested in a redshirt year. Scout and ESPN have him as the No. 2 small forward in his class, Rivals has him No. 1, and all have him ranked between 11th and 15th overall. He's been compared to Singler, who was ready to play from the day he walked onto campus.

And of course, you have this quote from the ESPN article about his commitment:

Asked if Duke was prepared to take him immediately next fall he said, "Yes, they are."

I think it's far more likely Marshall Plumlee redshirts than Murphy. Plumlee is probably at Duke for the long haul, while Murphy has a decent chance to leave early. And though Plumlee surprised me in a good way in the McDonald's Game, it doesn't appear like he'd have much of a chance to play next season.

Practice

Guess practices are going to be more competitive than the actual games. Sweet.

BTW - I think we have around 6 players that can play the 3 this year. "Singler Replacement Tryouts" will be a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Kyrie has given no reason to think he will return. In fact, the more guys who return, the better his prospective draft spot becomes. Kyrie is not coming back.

An interesting development... we are going to be PACKED with talent.
    My gut impression is that you are 100% correct. I'm not holding my breath for Kyries' return. For the long haul I'd say that Kyries' move to leave after 1 yr could help put Duke into consideration as a destination from other elite players that may have been less likely to give Duke a look in the past. I'm happy for Kyrie. Hope he gets what he wants..

But the reality is several things are out of his hands... as I understand it, The Irvings' have not yet hired an agent and his Dad is managing the affairs until that point. There is uncertainty with the CBA and a lock-out.

Now if they lean something "alarming" about those developments and have a change of heart about early entry there is a SLIM possibility he could return IF an agent has NOT been inked by that time, correct?

Now as I said to start, I'm not holding my breath over that. I expect there is enuff $ to go around and the deal will get worked out. But until the door is closed and locked ... its still open.

Is Murphy's decision connected to Mason's decision?

The news that Murphy could arrive early makes me suspicious that Mason is on his way to the 2011 NBA draft. I hope that this is just paranoia on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    The news that Murphy could arrive early makes me suspicious that Mason is on his way to the 2011 NBA draft. I hope that this is just paranoia on my part.
    They play different positions, so it's probably not related.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Now as I said to start, I'm not holding my breath over that. I expect there is enuff $ to go around and the deal will get worked out. But until the door is closed and locked ... its still open.
    Well, except if Murphy comes early and Daniels signs, I'm not sure we have a scholarship left for Kyrie.

I don't see him enrolling early for a couple of reasons. 1) As many have pointed out, our backcourt would be too crowded. 2) He's good enough to be in these All-Star events next year. Dawkins mentioned that was something he wished he could be apart of. Also, that was one of Mcadoo's reasons last year.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I think you are reading way too much into this.

I don't think there's a chance that mason leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    I don't see him enrolling early for a couple of reasons. 1) As many have pointed out, our backcourt would be too crowded. 2) He's good enough to be in these All-Star events next year. Dawkins mentioned that was something he wished he could be apart of. Also, that was one of Mcadoo's reasons last year.
    But he wouldn't be able to be in the McD's game because he would be a post graduate. He could play in the Jordan game and some of the other all star games though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, except if Murphy comes early and Daniels signs, I'm not sure we have a scholarship left for Kyrie.
    Kyrie has signed with an agent, he is GONE!

That would be an amazing amount of young talent and the battle for starting positions would be intense. That would only benefit us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    Unless he signed with an agent yesterday he has not done so. He merely announced he was going to sign with an agent, which is not the same thing.

And I wasn't suggesting he might come back. I do not entertain any such notion. A few other posters mentioned that possibility and I was just trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to be clever.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post

That would be an amazing amount of young talent and the battle for starting positions would be intense. That would only benefit us in the long run.
    Do you have a link to back this up? I cant find anything online that say he has hired one, everything says he will hire one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Unless he signed with an agent yesterday he has not done so. He merely announced he was going to sign with an agent, which is not the same thing.

And I wasn't suggesting he might come back. I do not entertain any such notion. A few other posters mentioned that possibility and I was just trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to be clever.
    Looking back, it appears Kedsy is correct. He announced his intention to sign with an agent, but has yet to do so. Kyrie isn't coming back, but at this point it isn't 'official'.