Need some quick help, Washington Nationals info

I actually have a weekend off and the family and I are looking to go to DC for the Saturday night game against the Brewers. We'd like to take Amtrak up(from Richmond), find a place to stay and Metro around to a few sites including the game. 7 PM I believe. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. GO DUKE!!

Have a great time!

You can hardly go wrong. RFK is accessible from the Metro. There are all sorts of hotels downtown. I don't have any sense what kind of rates you'll find this week, since it is sort of a holiday week.

DC has a million things to see. All of the museums, etc. What kind of activities interest you?

after the game, walk directly to the metro station and dont make eye contact with anyone. try and stay in the middle of the crowd. on 2nd thought, run there.

Many of the "major chain" hotels in DC, Roslyn, and Crystal City/Pentagon City have large weekend vacancies. You should be able to get a decent rate through any of the on-line sites (Hotels.Com, etc.).

From DC (especially in and proximate to the Federal Triangle), Crystal City, and so forth, RFK, the museums and Union Station are easy Metro trips.

Have fun and be prepared for a scorching weekend.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I actually have a weekend off and the family and I are looking to go to DC for the Saturday night game against the Brewers. We'd like to take Amtrak up(from Richmond), find a place to stay and Metro around to a few sites including the game. 7 PM I believe. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. GO DUKE!!
    Chuck, if you can give me a little more info, I can probably give you some ideas. What kind of things do you like? How old are the kids? What kind of budget are you on?

You probably know this, but Union Station has a Metro stop, so you've got easy access right there. There are all sorts of hotels right in downtown, or you can go across to Crystal City, which is convenient via Metro, and find even more. Lots and lots of sights and things to do and places to eat.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Stand on the right for escalators please!

As for things to do, I am a big fan of the Modern Art museum and the Spy Museum is also pretty cool (although you have to pay a fee now to get in - $15?). If the kids like to play some games, there is a ESPNzone three blocks from the Washington monument. For restaurants, Townhall in Georgetown is delicious as is Matchbox in Chinatown by the Verizon Center.

a couple of thought from a Nats season ticket holder

Hey duketaylor,

Should be a fun time in DC this weekend - but really hot. Brings lots of water (and they allow you to bring water and your own food in RFK, but no soda or soft drinks etc.)

I've been a Nats season ticket holder for three years (shout out to section 428), so here are a couple of thoughts:

Food: Attached is a link to a blog entry from Washington Post National's beat writer Barry Svrluga (Duke, '92) that provides a little bit of a pre-game dining guide.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/natio..._dining_g.html

Transportation: The stadium is at the Stadium Armory stop of the Blue and Orange lines of the Metro. Its about a block and half walk to the stadium.

Where to stay: I'd recommend staying at a hotel near the Metro Center stop. It is a transfer point for the blue/orange and red line. Union Station is on the red line, as Dupont Circle, the Spy Museum (Gallery Place), the Zoo (Woodley Park) and other sites. A possible recommendation for a Hotel, Embassy Suites Washington D.C. - Convention Center,

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/e...tyhocn=WASCCES

its about three blocks from the Metro Center, and its walkable to the Gallery Place area, and a lot of restaurants around.

At the Game: RFK is, to put it charitably, not great. Concession tend to be slow, and there are places in the stadium where it is impossible to hear the PA. That being said, its still a great time. best concession value: soft serve ice cream for 5$. There are also many different types of beer available throughout the stadium. it is worth the walk instead of having a guy pour you a can of bud light for a 5.50$. By sec 428, there is a stand that sells Red Hook, Stella Arvoisis, Old Dominion, Bass, and a couple others that I am forgetting. If you want to have a Duke/Kentucky moment, try Red Hot and Blue, a Memphis-style BBQ place behind the left field wall.

Anyway, hope that helps. Have a great time, and if you feel like stopping by, will be there

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    As for things to do, I am a big fan of the Modern Art museum
    What do you mean by the "Modern Art Museum"? The Hirschhorn (the round building next to the Smithsonian)? The National Gallery east building (the triangular I.M. Pei building)? Or something else?

I do agree that taken collectively, the various museums and sculpture gardens around DC possess a phenomenal collection of contemporary art.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    What do you mean by the "Modern Art Museum"? The Hirschhorn (the round building next to the Smithsonian)? The National Gallery east building (the triangular I.M. Pei building)? Or something else?

I do agree that taken collectively, the various museums and sculpture gardens around DC possess a phenomenal collection of contemporary art.
    Ahh I'm sorry, I meant the Hirschhorn. To my knowledge, it's the only standalone modern art museum in DC but I could be wrong...

Talking Bud Light

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    There are also many different types of beer available throughout the stadium. it is worth the walk instead of having a guy pour you a can of bud light for a 5.50$.
    dyedwab, we're talking about DukeTaylor here. Bud Light seeks him out everywhere he goes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Beacon Hotel

I managed to find some incredibly cheap rates at the Beacon Hotel last summer for a similar weekend (although it was a group of guys going to watch baseball, not a family). It's an extended stay type hotel geared towards business folk during the week, but would work really well for a family in that the rooms are large, have kitchens, and it's located close to the Dupont and Farragut North or West metros. It also had a great brunch.

http://capitalhotelswdc.com/BeaconHotelWDC_com/

http://www.google.com/maps?q=1615+Rh...i=map&ct=title

Finally, the Nationals did something interesting:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...fter_foul_ball

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Do you watch their games? They are always doing something interesting to lose, particularly the last two nights.