Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bill Brill (1931-2011)

Best wishes to Bill Brill, who is apparently near death, although his condition improved yesterday from "critical." Prayers go out to him, his family, and friends. What a legend...

Bill Brill [...] is apparently near death in a Durham hospital [...] a Do Not Resuscitate order has been issued. [Doug Doughty] says Brill "has written his obituary ... reserved Cameron Indoor Stadium for his funeral and has arranged for a caterer."
    http://fromtheeditr.blogspot.com/201...pparently.html

Article from Dan Smith, a journalist in Roanoke, Va, where Brill was the sports editor for the The Roanoke Times.

What terrible news.

Best wishes to Bill.

What a treat it has been to read Bill's work over the years, and benefit from his representation of Duke (and his contributions to DBR).

I swear Bill covered the Jamestown Basketball Conference before going to work in Roanoke.

This is so very sad. I've enjoyed knowing Bill over the years. Reading his books and articles has been a delight.

My prayers for Bill. I have known him a long time. He is a good man who has done a good job at his chosen profession.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I am so sad to learn of Bill's serious illness. I did not know him well, but he always treated Dukies with respect and friendship. Further, he was the consumate professional as a Duke- and ACC-oriented journalist. Bill, his family, friends and colleagues are certainly in my prayers. May God bless and keep him.

Get well soon!

We'll be sending best wishes & prayers out to Bill Brill & his family. I've never read any thing of his I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I'd love to read some more, so... get well Bill, there are some stories you still have to share.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

So sorry to hear this. I've gotten to know Bill over the years seeing him at the Blue Devil Club meetings and then at games in Cameron, Wallace Wade and various other venues. He'd always say "Hi Ozzie" as we passed and had a few pleasant words together. DevilWearsPrada mentioned to me that he was sick at the last meeting in March, but I had no idea it was terminal.

My best wishes and prayers to Bill and his family.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So sorry to hear this. I've gotten to know Bill over the years seeing him at the Blue Devil Club meetings and then at games in Cameron, Wallace Wade and various other venues. He'd always say "Hi Ozzie" as we passed and had a few pleasant words together. DevilWearsPrada mentioned to me that he was sick at the last meeting in March, but I had no idea it was terminal.

My best wishes and prayers to Bill and his family.
    I hate reading this OZZIE. I thought Bill was getting treatment, as I thought he looked real good at our March club meeting. Bill always brought insight and vast knowledge to our Blue Devil Club meetings, and Duke athletics.

My extended prayers and thoughts are with Bill and to his family and all the Duke Community.

Sad news. I know many in the DBR community knew him better than a lot of us, but certainly we all haven't forgotten his book about the '86 team.

If you read the link it now has an update that it sounds like Brill's condition is improving still. I certainly hope so! Sounds surprisingly positive for how dire the initial report was.

All my prayers for him and his family.

Bill is Duke legend. Prayers for Bill and his family.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Best wishes to Bill. Very to sorry to hear of his condition. Hopefully he can recover. The man is a legend.

Prayers for him and his family.

According to the website linked above, Bill Brill died this afternoon.

I am so sorry to hear this. I guess his work was done. May he rest in peace.

Never met him, but I loved his books. He will now be watching Duke on the giant HD screen in the sky. Good luck on your new journey, fellow Blue Devil.

You just can't replace someone who had seen it all, had a great memory, and knew how to write too ... truly a loss we shall all feel.