Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Farewell, Bill. You meant a lot to sports in general and to Duke in particular.

It's a great blessing for you to have been present throughout the last 60+ years of Duke basketball and especially for the greatest era of all, the Coach K era. And a double blessing for us to be fans in that era and enjoy your words and stories.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    I believe the first time I read about how UCLA's streak was aided and abetted by the makeup of the NCAA tournament (west teams only played west teams until the final four, and etc.) was in his discussion in the book about the Back-to-Back season. That just made Coach K's accomplishment all that more amazing.
    Feinstein's article is fabulous; am looking forward to Featherston's Requiem as well.
    JStuart

Sunday's service

The service for Brill (since everyone called him Brill - I learned that from Feinstein's article - even though I always called him Bill and he never corrected me) is in Scharf Hall.
    Those wishing to attend Sunday’s event should park in the Whitford Drive Lot located between Koskinen Stadium and Jack Coombs Field. It is recommended to come early as a large turnout is expected.
    They should move it into Cameron. Scharf Hall won't be near large enough to hold the turnout.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Talking Brill: a Great Guy

I didn't know Brill well, but I found myself hanging on every word he said or wrote. The article from John F. is amazing, and the self-authored obit is vintage Brill.

sagegrouse

Bill Brill

Even if you don't know who Bill Brill was, and especially if you do, if you care at all about Duke and those who care for Duke, then take a moment and read the obituary Bill Brill wrote for himself. It's absolutely priceless, and includes stories of such accomplishments as being a Duke student taking two courses held at the same time, working as statistician for the Duke basketball team, and earning $25.80 a week while living in a apartment that costs $26.00.

Great stuff, by a great man who truly loved Duke. Don't miss it: http://www.roanoke.com/283016

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The service for Brill (since everyone called him Brill - I learned that from Feinstein's article - even though I always called him Bill and he never corrected me) is in Scharf Hall.

They should move it into Cameron. Scharf Hall won't be near large enough to hold the turnout.
    Upon further review, well, after checking with the Iron Duke's, holding the service in Scharf Hall was Brill's request. I yield the floor and will get there early.

9F 9F 9F

This here is Brill's first (of two) farewell columns in the Roanoke paper, 6/30/91

http://www.roanoke.com/283017

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Upon further review, well, after checking with the Iron Duke's, holding the service in Scharf Hall was Brill's request. I yield the floor and will get there early.
    With a 2pm service, Ozzie what time are you planning on going? For anybody else, what are your plans for the Sunday memorial service?

I will miss Bill Brill at our Blue Devil Club meetings. He always enlightened the group with his vast knowledge of Duke University and Athletics. But so glad, he touched our lives! Truly miss him, and even more when our meetings start up in the Fall.

Video remembrance from colleagues:

http://www.roanoke.com/sportscast/

And more on his complicated relationship w/ VT:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/notebookplus/wb/283535

The service was wonderful, a true celebration of his life. I'll post a bit more about it later when I have time if no one else does. I'm glad I went. There were well over 300 people in attendance.

9F 9F 9F

The service was wonderful, a true celebration of his life. I'll post a bit more about it later when I have time if no one else does. I'm glad I went. There were well over 300 people in attendance.
    An amazing Memorial Service! Bill had everything planned from writing his obit, the catering company for the reception, and the speakers for his service. Bob Harris did the welcome, and then introduced the first speaker, which Bill Brill called "The Captain", and that was Coach K.

Hopefully, Ozzie or someone else will elaborate on the service. John Feinstein was the final speaker, of six. It was truly a celebration of life, and many personal stories from all 6 speakers. Oh how, Bill Brill loved Duke, and hated the Hokies! The final song, was Bill's favorite, "Danny Boy", and sung by the Duke Chorale. Brought a tear to everyone.

I learned through the speakers that Bill Brill wrote in exclamation marks!! And that was his style! (Now, I can call my writing style, BRILL STYLE)!

A wonderful reception followed, and was catered by Durham Catering Company. As Ozzie said, over 300 in attendance.

I can truly say, this was a wonderful memorial service, and one that I will remember forever. I will truly miss seeing Bill Brill at the Football games, and seating on press row at the Basketball games. But I will miss him most, at our Blue Devil Club meetings, where he would sit at one of the round tables up front, and have notes penned on a napkin, or small piece of paper. Bill (as I called him, or Mr Brill), would generally NOT ask a question to the keynote speaker, but make statements. His knowledge of Duke and Duke athletics will surely be missed.

But BRILL will live on within us Forever!!!

Thanks for the report of the service.

Small-world Duke connection in popular press of writers here recently: Bill Brill's obits mention that he went to Christchurch School in Virginia before Duke; William Styron did as well (Styron's daughter's memoir of him currently getting press -- excerpted in Vanity Fair and reviewed in NYT).

Brill was Christchurch '48, Duke '52; Styron Christchurch '42, Duke '47.

Al's article on the front page reminded me that I miss Bill Brill. I, obviously, never got to see Brill's bracket antics, but I heard a lot about it from some of the folks who'd been around Duke for a while when I arrived. Makes me laugh when I see how inaccurate some of today's stuff is.

Anyway, we miss you Bill. And to those of you new to DBR or too young to know and appreciate Brill's work...take a minute...you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Al's article on the front page reminded me that I miss Bill Brill. I, obviously, never got to see Brill's bracket antics, but I heard a lot about it from some of the folks who'd been around Duke for a while when I arrived. Makes me laugh when I see how inaccurate some of today's stuff is.

Anyway, we miss you Bill. And to those of you new to DBR or too young to know and appreciate Brill's work...take a minute...you won't regret it.
    Especially his books for the 80th and 100th anniversaries of the Men's basketball program. And especially especially the first of those.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Especially his books for the 80th and 100th anniversaries of the Men's basketball program. And especially especially the first of those.
    Brill's absence is especially difficult this time of year. He loved tournament hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Brill's absence is especially difficult this time of year. He loved tournament hoops.
    You are so right! I was also intrigued by his interest in football. I remember many wonderful Saturdays sitting under the tent talking football... and listening to Brill share his encyclopedic knowledge.