Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I was about to mention this. I didn't follow Duke basketball (or even much college basketball) before 1980. But while Duke was successful prior to then, I don't think there was also such a "lasting legacy" back then, either. With the current Duke basketball legacy and culture, I would think the first successor to Coach K will be from within... if only to keep some kind of initial continuity. Maybe a few years after that, who knows...

And, with all of the names thrown about, I thought, well, in 5-10 years, where will Greg Paulus be? He'd be young enough (very early 30's) at least, and who knows where he'll go or how he'll grow in that time.
    I think you're spot on when you talk about "Duke culture". As a graduate of a large state university (but now a True Blue Duke fan), I have the perception that the "culture" at Duke is a lot different than is the "culture" at my alma mater especially with regard to BB and further, it's going to take someone who's actually lived/played basketball at Duke to keep that special culture alive and well after K departs. My thought is that an "outsider" just wouldn't get it.

Talking Mandatory? I Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    FYI Wooden did not want to retire-at the time there was mandatory retirement for state employees at age 65.
    Don't you think if Wooden had uttered a single word of regret, the legislature would have changed the law in an instant?

Incidentally, the only time I saw John Wooden out in public was, appropriately enough, at St. John's hospital in Santa Monica, at the time of the birth of one of my daughters. St. John's, eh?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Personally, I hope that when he retires he only returns to Cameron to watch games or if he is specifically invited. I hope that the next coach is not constantly looking over his shoulder. I seriously doubt that K would do that, but being second guessed by a legend is a hard life. Take a cue from Wooden and be completely out of the loop.
    Wooden's successors didn't have to look over their shoulders. The old coach was seated directly across the court from the UCLA coach, in the third row I believe, at every home game up until the year before last, when he physically couldn't do it anymore. While Coach would never have said anything critical or in the nature of second guessing, he was watching, and everyone knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    I think (or at least I hope ) this is going to be contingent upon Dawkins being successful at Stanford.
    You said it. All this talk about keeping it in the Duke family: Sure, if the member of the family/prospective new coach has proven that he is worthy, if he has proven that he can run a successful -- no, very successful -- high major program already. To me, Duke family or not, if you haven't demonstrated that, I don't think you should be considered. If you have, great -- your Duke credentials will give you a major leg up on others who have proven themselves but don't have the Duke experience in their backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I just see no way Stevens comes to Duke. It would take perfect timing. I suspect if he is going to leave, it will be in the next few years if/when he has some struggles and the IU job miraculously opens up.
    It won't take a miracle for the IU job to open up. The natives are already restless, from what I've read. They want to see some results from Crean next year or that seat is really going to warm up. Maybe Stevens is waiting for that. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You said it. All this talk about keeping it in the Duke family: Sure, if the member of the family/prospective new coach has proven that he is worthy, if he has proven that he can run a successful -- no, very successful -- high major program already. To me, Duke family or not, if you haven't demonstrated that, I don't think you should be considered. If you have, great -- your Duke credentials will give you a major leg up on others who have proven themselves but don't have the Duke experience in their backgrounds.
    I agree with this, though I do think that putting in requirements that a future coach has to have already run a very successful high major program can be somewhat problematic (does Army count?). Yow's search requirements for NCSU that a coaching candidate must have a string of NCAA appearances for instance. I think there's something to be said for less set in stone rules...

Out of curiosity, in a somewhat analogous situation, did UNC ever look outside the "UNC family" in the post-Dean years?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blink View Post
    I agree with this, though I do think that putting in requirements that a future coach has to have already run a very successful high major program can be somewhat problematic (does Army count?).
    Completely different situation than when Duke hired K. The program -- and the sophistication of college basketball and therefore the skillset needed to run a high major program -- are light years beyond what they were 30 years ago. Duke is the premier program in the nation, and should not have to feel that it is taking any kind of chance on its next coach. The next coach needs to have already established beyond any doubt that he can handle it.

Out of curiosity, in a somewhat analogous situation, did UNC ever look outside the "UNC family" in the post-Dean years?
    I don't think so, and they endured two unhappy tenures: Guthridge -- successful on the court, but not in recruiting, leading to fan and alumni discontent -- and Doh, a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    K will probably be at Duke for at least 4-5 more years, so if Stevens continues his current success, he will have no reason to leave Butler as he will have created his own program or if he falls off a bit, than I suspect Duke would want a better coach.
    At the same time, Johnny Dawkins, and maybe even Wojo and Chris will have established themselves in their own programs, and may "have no reason to leave"...

To echo the above... if a member of the "family" has proven he is worthy, I would think he'd stay where ever that is, especially a high-major program.

I agree with this, though I do think that putting in requirements that a future coach has to have already run a very successful high major program can be somewhat problematic (does Army count?).
    see above...

Duke is the premier program in the nation, and should not have to feel that it is taking any kind of chance on its next coach. The next coach needs to have already established beyond any doubt that he can handle it.
    As someone else (or others) have posted, no future coach can be Coach K. He will have to create his own style, legacy, etc. As such, maybe the next coach doesn't have to be established beyond a doubt that he can "handle" it, but be able to show that he CAN create it. Like Greg Paulus???

It won't take a miracle for the IU job to open up. The natives are already restless, from what I've read. They want to see some results from Crean next year or that seat is really going to warm up. Maybe Stevens is waiting for that. Who knows?
    No, I meant that IU will probably do whatever it takes to get him if Crean doesn't get it together. So I meant it a bit sarcastically that they would probably revolve their dealings with when the best chance to get him would be.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    At the same time, Johnny Dawkins, and maybe even Wojo and Chris will have established themselves in their own programs, and may "have no reason to leave"...
    Well this is about personal preference but I have to think that Duke will have a certain priority over these programs since it would be their alma mater and we haven't even seen if Stevens can turn down IU. There are so many variables but those guys also have some stock in Duke's program as well as their own school.

I would be very surprised to see Duke not get its man if they want Dawkins, Wojo, Chris. Capel and Amaker might be a bit different.

I've been saying here on DBR for several years, each time this thread comes up, that I think K will coach into his young 70's (7 to 10 more years, revised from last year's prediction of 8 to 10 more years). This is based on his apparent youthful exuberance for the job and continued good health. If his health changes unexpectedly, that's when the near end of the equation changes, and we all know that good health is not something that is in our total control.

I think the next Duke coach will come from within the Duke family. If we "need" a coach in the near term, I think it would be Dawkins or Amaker, with suitable positions at Duke readily available for their wives (one is a physician and one is a PhD professor). Jeff Capel would also be considered. If the time table is more to the long end, I think Collins or Wojo is the more likely choice, and I would hire either one today if I needed a head coach for my University team.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Coach K is a very young looking 64 years old. Especially in comparison to Fisher, of San Diego State.

Going to China this summer, and the Olympics next Summer 2012, perhaps thats when Coach K will retire. He will be 65 years young. But he states he loves spending time with his 7 grandchildren, and gardening, and other family activities.

If Coach doesnt retire after next season, then he must have personal goals for himself, of reaching 1000 career wins. 3 more seasons. OR perhaps more! Coach has alot more to accomplish and seems very very passionate and has renewed energy. I am very content with Coach K staying until he wants to retire. Even if that is many years. HE is the best! And has given his staff many responsibilites.

I would like to see Wojo and Collins take a head coaching position somewhere, but that hasnt happened. Johnny Dawkins has spread his wings, and thats good.

I like having Coach James and C Well on the bench, since they are younger and can reach out to Prospects. Their basketball careers, just ended a couple of years ago. And the new kids know Nate James and Chris Carawell, and can relate to their Duke experiences as well as professional basketball careers.

Until Coach K announces his formal retirement, I am proud that he is still the Duke head coach.