Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

OMG...

Did everyone watch the new episode (S3 E9)!!! I have never in my life been more traumatized over a show in my life. SPOILERS

How can you just kill off Robb Stark like that? I mean he had no glory or honor in his death and it was unjustified! Also his pregnant wife and child are killed and slowly at that! Not to mention his mom dying the same way and a good part of his army! O I also forgot his wolf! G. Martin did not only make a twist and turn in the series, he completely stopped and went in a whole new direction!
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

It's been 3 hrs since I watched it and I am still very depressed God I hate the Lannisters

Spoilers!!!

Poor Arya's got more names to add to her list...

"King Joffrey. Cercei Lannister. The Hound. Tywin Lannister. Roose Bolton. Walder Frey..."

That was gruesome and very sad. I found the detail of Robb's wife being stabbed in her abdomen, the direct attack against the baby, with her living long enough to realize that they killed her baby first, to be particularly disturbing. It made perfect sense, given Frey's anger over Robb's oath breaking, and given how evil Frey apparently is, that he would instruct his killers to attack the product of Robb's broken oath first. But still...it was incredibly disturbing to watch.

Martin's been pretty good, even if he takes his time about it, giving us some satisfaction in seeing the bad guys get theirs (or, in the case of Theon, lose his). After last night's episode, I'm hoping we get to see Walder Frey and Roose Bolton get theirs as well...
    Last edited by davekay1971; 06-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    I read the books, so I knew what this episode had in store. The Wedding is one of the most brutal things I've seen. My only bit of disappointment was that I was hoping that the Lannister Honeypot theory (a theory floating around the internet that Robb's wife Talisa was a Lannister spy, partially to explain the character change) didn't turn out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoo View Post
    I read the books, so I knew what this episode had in store. The Wedding is one of the most brutal things I've seen. My only bit of disappointment was that I was hoping that the Lannister Honeypot theory (a theory floating around the internet that Robb's wife Talisa was a Lannister spy, partially to explain the character change) didn't turn out to be true.
    Huh? Was there anything last night to suggest that it was true?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Did everyone watch the new episode (S3 E9)!!! I have never in my life been more traumatized over a show in my life. SPOILERS

How can you just kill off Robb Stark like that? I mean he had no glory or honor in his death and it was unjustified! Also his pregnant wife and child are killed and slowly at that! Not to mention his mom dying the same way and a good part of his army! O I also forgot his wolf! G. Martin did not only make a twist and turn in the series, he completely stopped and went in a whole new direction!
    Well, now people who are watching the shows, but didn't read the books, might understand the reason I stopped watching after about 1/2 of the first episode. I just don't have the stomach to live through these types of things twice.

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Huh? Was there anything last night to suggest that it was true?
    No, that was part of why it was a disappointment to me. It was a good fan theory that had just enough evidence to seem plausible (though not likely), and would have better justified the decision to change Robb Stark's wife.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

In all fairness though, the Cat/Robb storyline, in both the books and the show, always felt like one of the weaker storylines to me. I actually don't mind that much that they've been offed; it gives us more time to spend with Daenerys, Arya, Jamie, and Tyrion (and the Dornish!!). What got me in the books was the way Walder Frey (and Roose Bolton) went about their treachery. The Freys violated an ancient Westerosi custom called "guest right" (can't kill guest/host once food has been served, unless you want the gods to smite you painfully), and Roose Bolton made an obvious power grab (since everyone believes Bran and Rickon to be dead, Roose will be head honcho up North; thanks Theon!). Anyway, I've long felt that the Red Wedding is about identifying and establishing villains as opposed to offing heroes.

I have long anticipated this scene to see how they would film it. I thought the decision to keep most of the slaughter from the perspective of Catelyn was a wise choice (in the book, this scene occurs during a Catelyn POV chapter). Catelyn quickly growing alarmed at the succession of suspicious events (closing the door, the song switch, etc.) despite the oblivious merriment of the rest of the Stark brigade was simultaneously devastating and brilliant. And of course, that last desperate sequence with the wife was exceptional.

"I'll find another" <-- perhaps Walder Frey's most chilling quote, for a multitude of reasons. (referring to his wife, of course)

How on earth there hasn't been more discussion of this show on this forum baffles me.

What an episode. Wow. I think it left a lot of people straight up traumatized.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Martin's been pretty good, even if he takes his time about it, giving us some satisfaction in seeing the bad guys get theirs (or, in the case of Theon, lose his). After last night's episode, I'm hoping we get to see Walder Frey and Roose Bolton get theirs as well...
    Having read all the books, I agree with this sentiment. Plenty of bad things happen to good people in GoT, but there are some very satisfying comeuppances too. And he does it in interesting ways: e.g. Jaime's lost hand.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Having read all the books, I agree with this sentiment. Plenty of bad things happen to good people in GoT, but there are some very satisfying comeuppances too. And he does it in interesting ways: e.g. Jaime's lost hand.
    I'm reading each book after the corresponding season, but assuming the major aspects of the character portrayals and major events in the series remain reasonably close to the book, he also seems interested in rehabilitating certain characters (or, at least making some villains a little more sympathetic). I've started to really like Jaime in this season, whereas in season 1 I thought of him as one of the primary villains in the story. The soft spot that the Hound has for the Stark girls also makes me like him much more than I originally did.

I'm not quite able to forgive Jaime for dropping Bran out of a window...attempting to murder a young boy to save your own skin isn't something that's easy to forgive...but I'm certainly enjoying seeing his character become more human, and lose some of his arrogance.

I'm reading each book after the corresponding season
    Careful with season 3! This TV season has only really covered the first half of the book, and in doing so it has played with the order of some storylines, so if you don't want to spoil yourself, be sure you can maintain discipline.

If you do want to spoil yourself, however, the second half of Storm of Swords is fantastic and loaded with action. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

I'm not quite able to forgive Jaime for dropping Bran out of a window...attempting to murder a young boy to save your own skin isn't something that's easy to forgive...but I'm certainly enjoying seeing his character become more human, and lose some of his arrogance.
    Well to be fair, it wasn't just his own skin that was at stake there.

I freely admit that I haven't read the books in several years, but I didn't think Robb's new bride went to the wedding because it was too much of an insult. Also, isn't it weird to see Filch from HP as Walder Frey, a major lord in GoT?

My wife has the books.i haven't read them as of yet.our tastes seem to differ greatly in what we read.GoT tv series has got my undivided attention.i am afraid to read the books until the tv series has ended.i do not want to have any preconceived notions of what should happen next.i will admit this season has left me in awe a few times.things I just didnt see coming.the last time i was that surprised.was the movie usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I freely admit that I haven't read the books in several years, but I didn't think Robb's new bride went to the wedding because it was too much of an insult. Also, isn't it weird to see Filch from HP as Walder Frey, a major lord in GoT?
    I was happy to see the actor be able to do a little more than look suspicious and grumpy. I was always waiting for Filch to shout "Get off my lawn!" at Frodo, I mean, Harry. Granted that Frey is a pretty one-dimensional jerk so far, but David Bradley (yes, I had to look that up) is doing a stellar job of portraying him. The delivery of "I'll get another" was perfect...chilling in it's narcissistic inhumanity.

I just reread the wedding, and Robb did leave Jeyne at Riverrun. I always thought his child would be important in the later books. I guess not in the show, though, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I just reread the wedding, and Robb did leave Jeyne at Riverrun. I always thought his child would be important in the later books. I guess not in the show, though, eh?
    It's pretty unlikely that Jeyne was pregnant in the books - someone sees her a few months later very much not pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's pretty unlikely that Jeyne was pregnant in the books - someone sees her a few months later very much not pregnant.
    Guess the show wanted to make the wedding scene even more traumatic.

Deaths

My son saw GRRM in Lexington last year he said about characters "The more you like them, the more I kill them off"