Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

I know he had no choice, given his daughter being in the hands of the undeniably ruthless Lannisters, but I really hurt me to see Ned break his honor and speak out for Joffre. Granted that's probably what a man in his position would do in real life, but still...it would have been much more satisfying for him to stand in front of the world as if about to "confess", only to turn, point his finger at Joffre, and say, "That ain't the real king. That's nothing but the product of some naaaasty incest between Queenie there and her brother (no, not the short one)." Followed by the collective "Ewwwww" from the assembled multitude of peasantry (we know they're not royalty in the crowd...because they do have &^*# all over them). But, alas, Ned signed his own death warrant when he told Cersei that he knew her dirty little secret. Noble, but this series clearly values cleverness over nobility and honor.

It's going to be a hard wait after this season ends for next season. The author is very clearly putting the realm into one heck of a civil war, with the Lannisters, Starks, Stannis's peeps, Doth-racky (however you spell that) and lord knows who else slugging it out, all while some horrendous threat is about to come spilling over under or straight through that Wall.

This thread is fun for me. It was here I first even heard about the series, and the "pre-game" discussion of the book(s), including the "Be careful about getting too attached" warnings.

I went out and bought the first one, mentioned it to my wife, and we started reading it together (well, at different times, but in the same timespan). One of us pulls ahead, then the other passes them when they get busy.

I've also downloaded them through Audible.com to allow me to continue "reading" while driving on a bunch of trips up and down the East Coast I've been making. Not as good as the real thing (reading), but still fun and let's you get your fix.

I'm midway through the third book now, so way ahead of the series, but it's fun to read the comments and see everyone's reaction (the same one I had) when Ned Stark dies. I'll try to keep from mentioning anything not already covered in the show, because so much happens it would be really easy to get spoiled on one plot line or another.

In terms of the army argument, things continue to change throughout the series, but at this point, I still think it's safe to assume the Lannisters have the larger army. Some of Jaime's men almost surely rejoined with Tywin's main force. They also have whatever is garrisoned at King's Landing. I think Tyrion's barbarians are only about 300, though. I feel like the Gold Cloaks are maybe 2 or 3,000, although that's more a guard than a true army.

I, too, loved the fact they killed off Ned Stark. It really brought a lot to the book, and the change of focus on the characters and their reactions was interesting. Martin continues to throw big shake-ups at the reader at least to the point where I am, and one of the things I love about this series is there is very, very little downtime. One of the most frustrating parts about reading it, and probably, soon, watching it, is you get huge cliffhangers, then have to follow a dozen other story lines before the cliffhanger gets resolved. I often skip ahead 6 or 8 chapters in the book to continue one storyline for a chapter or two, then bounce back to catch up on the rest. It actually works, as you have a bunch of mini-stories going on with the occasional interaction.

To be fair, Joffrey didn't have much choice - Sean Bean sounds like someone not to be trifled with.

British actor Sean Bean was stabbed in the arm following a spat over a Playboy model outside a bar in London. Witnesses said Bean, 52, suffered a cut arm and a bruised face but did not want to go to hospital. He instead walked back into the bar and ordered another drink.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    One of the aspects I liked of the confession, that really played to Ned's honor was that for the first half of the confession, he did not utter a word that was untrue. I don't remember the exact wording, but confessing that even as Robert was dying, he plotted to take the throne from Robert's intended heir and rule in his stead(until Stannis could come and take the throne). It had me for a moment wondering if he could get through the entire confession without saying an untrue word, but alas, it was not to be. But that just brings to mind(for those who read the books) what his words have meant regarding another large part of the story line that is still unresolved in the books(that's as unspoilering as I can be while still alluding to something specific I think).

I also thought the depiction of the witch healer was interesting, with some diversion from the book I'll talk more about next week(again, spoiler free).

But its definitely started off with a bang, looking forward to how they get things to play out(and getting Martin to finish off the storylines within the time frame of HBO producing the whole dang thing).

I've been reading the book BEHIND the TV show (then watched most of the episodes again with my gf). I have enjoyed this method, but I am not sure I can wait a year to start into book two. I have a few chapters to go in book 1 (going to read them after I watch the show), then we'll have to see.

The TV show has done a good job of picking spots to deviate from the book (with a few exceptions). I thought how Drogo got wounded was definitely one of them. I didn't like, however, how the story of the Mountain and the Hound was told. The Hound has more depth in the book, partly because he tells Sansa the story and becomes a bit sympathetic. In the show, it's just Mayor Carcetti whispering in Sansa's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I am not sure I can wait a year to start into book two.
    Ha! [/bitter, sarcastic laugh]

Bring on season 2!

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Bring on season 2!
    Seriously! The ending was great, but next spring is a long way off! Loved Daenerys Targarian's character arc and her transformation at the end - she's a baaaaad woman and is clearly not to be messed with. Season 2 looks to be great. Bravo to HBO for taking on the series and bravo to the actors, directors, and production team for really hitting it out of the park. Unlike LOTR and Harry Potter which I read and reread before seeing on screen, the HBO version of GOT is my only exposure to the story, and I'm loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Seriously! The ending was great, but next spring is a long way off! Loved Daenerys Targarian's character arc and her transformation at the end - she's a baaaaad woman and is clearly not to be messed with. Season 2 looks to be great. Bravo to HBO for taking on the series and bravo to the actors, directors, and production team for really hitting it out of the park. Unlike LOTR and Harry Potter which I read and reread before seeing on screen, the HBO version of GOT is my only exposure to the story, and I'm loving it!
    So which famous actor plays Stannis? They should have some cash left now that Sean Bean is gone.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So which famous actor plays Stannis? They should have some cash left now that Sean Bean is gone.
    Spend the money on Melisandre. An adequate Stannis will still have the storyline moving, but I think Melisandre will be a harder character to get right and not be a little disconcerting. Plus, do you really want to see R'hllor ticked off?

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Spend the money on Melisandre. An adequate Stannis will still have the storyline moving, but I think Melisandre will be a harder character to get right and not be a little disconcerting. Plus, do you really want to see R'hllor ticked off?
    I know it's completely unintentional, but that post is kinda spoilery. For those of us who've never even heard of that particular character, we now know she (I assume) is a significant player full of nuance. Other characters have been introduced on the show and don't return or die in five minutes or have no actual story arc or characterization, but now we can't wonder as much for that one. They could still die within a season, though, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I know it's completely unintentional, but that post is kinda spoilery. For those of us who've never even heard of that particular character, we now know she (I assume) is a significant player full of nuance. Other characters have been introduced on the show and don't return or die in five minutes or have no actual story arc or characterization, but now we can't wonder as much for that one. They could still die within a season, though, I suppose.
    One way to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Come on. Sean Bean cannot be a lead without dying?! Come ON.
    Sean Bean death reel.

(Spoilers for many, many films.)

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Casting updates (Links basically spoiler-free):

Stannis Baratheon
    Melisandre of Asshai
    Brienne of Tarth
    Margaery Tyrell
    Davos Seaworth

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post

Do yourself a favor guys and go read Patrick Rothfuss
    That was a great suggestion even though I liked the Game of Thrones series. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    That was a great suggestion even though I liked the Game of Thrones series. Any others?
    Well I'm not dukebluelemur, but maybe you would enjoy Mistborn? The writing is only so-so, but the pacing and plot are really good. It's my favorite fantasy of the last several years, although I'm about to start Rothfuss, so maybe that will change if he's as good as people say .

Ditto on Rothfuss. I'm very impressed. The Name of the Wind is about the best fantasy I've read this side of LOTR. Frankly, it's better written, but LOTR is the foundation of my love of fantasy and therefore irreplaceable at the top of the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Well I'm not dukebluelemur, but maybe you would enjoy Mistborn? The writing is only so-so, but the pacing and plot are really good. It's my favorite fantasy of the last several years, although I'm about to start Rothfuss, so maybe that will change if he's as good as people say .
    Thanks for the recommendation. Mistborn series was a lot of fun. Not to divert the thread too much but if you have others keep them coming.

Back on topic, I've read all of the game of thrones books that are out now, but don't bother to pay for HBO and it's not on Netflix. Has the 2nd season started? Is it as well done as the 1st?

Season 2 premiered last weekend and the first episode of this season was, indeed, every bit as well done as last season. Tyrion was not on screen enough for my taste...he's the Al Swearengen/Ari of this series. But they had a lot of threads to pick up and start moving forward, so it was understandably kind of jumping from character to character.

I'm glad that I've avoided spoilers as much as possible for this series. I know just enough to know that the main characters are not necessarily going to live through the whole series. But it's nice to get to really enjoy the development of the characters, knowing that there really isn't anyone who's "safe". And it's nice to be uncertain where these many plot and character arcs are going to go. It's a very different feeling than watching the LOTR movies where the main question was how the director was going to pull off certain scenes - would Jackson be able to capture the absolute coolness of Moria, or the charge of the Rohirrim, or Shelob's Lair (yes, yes, and yes), or make us really feel the grinding suffering that Sam and Frodo endured in Mordor (no).

My main interest this season is to watch the difference between Ned's struggles to deal with the manipulations and politics of King's Landing, compared to what I expect will be Tyrion's masterful handling of that same environment.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Mistborn series was a lot of fun. Not to divert the thread too much but if you have others keep them coming.
    Hmmm, here are some sci-fi/fantasy I have read recently that I've really enjoyed:

- Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (although I think the series is mediocre after these two)
    - The Golden Compass trilogy by Philip Pullman
    - The Long Run by Daniel Keys Moran (hard to find except on Kindle though)
    - The Sandman graphic novels, The Graveyard Book, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman (I like these more than American Gods and the other stuff he is famous for now)
    - Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, but it's book 1 of a huge series so reader be warned!
    - On the pulpy side, I also love everything by Timothy Zahn. Maybe Icarus Hunt is my favorite?

By the way, I'm really enjoying Rothfuss. That was an excellent recommendation! If any of you have more suggestions, I would love to hear them too .