Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Connecticut 56, Kentucky 55

I know. I don't like it. You don't like it. OK, uh_no likes UConn, but he grew up there and we love him anyway. But for most of the rest of it, shortly before 9 pm tonight the ugly truth is going to happen. Calipari and Calhoun will lead their teams Ethically Questionable Bowl.

What's the outcome you want to see?
    Last edited by davekay1971; 04-02-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Kentucky. It'll be vacated anyway.

Or Kentucky, I don't want Calhoun getting any closer to K.

I'm hoping for the Devil to appear in a puff of crimson smoke at midcourt the moment the final buzzer sounds and claim the mortal souls that both coaches sold him 20 years ago.

Barring that, I'll take Calipari for the same reasons as DukeUsul - I have faith that within 5 years Calipari will still be sitting on 0 (zero) final four appearances. I have equal faith that if Calhoun wins he'll ride off into the sunset with 3 nattys leaving his successor to deal with a boatload of NCAA sanctions on the UConn program.

Easy Uconn because of Walker and I do not like Calamari

I'm thinking Uconn....
    I think Butler or VCU has a better chance against them than KY.

i want the team that is going to leave it all on the floor tonight to win....uk OR uconn ...doesn't matter....

then i want that winning team to fold like a cheap suit monday night...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Although my response doesn't fit the, uh, "spirit" of the thread's "Grit your teeth" motif, I'm hoping for 2 really interesting and intense games this evening.

I've posted on other threads that all 4 teams have interesting stories this season. It's true that Calipari and Calhoun do not represent the best - nor even the merely respectable - in coaching ethics, and it takes some temporary "forgetting" of that to focus instead on the actual and admirable play of UK and UConn at season's end. Kemba Walker has been brilliant, the young UConn guys unflappable. Brandon Knight has been clutch, Josh Harrellson a great, great story [for which Calipari gets a whole lot of credit], and I wonder whether Liggins will defend Kemba.

The other side of the bracket, of course, is nothing but uplifting story after story. I know a few posters will not forgive Matt Howard for the borderline-dirty pick on Singler - though I doubt Singler had any serious problem with it - and for "hurting Kyrie" - which Howard did not do. But Stevens is such an admirable coach and man, not to mention a brilliant D coach, that I'd very much like to see a long-term Duke-Butler series. Frankly, that's the only possible way I could see Stevens someday becoming Duke's coach, which in any case seems a long-long shot; Stevens might just create a legend at Butler.

And VCU's run is so remarkable, their several wins so impressive.

Overall, for me, there have been so many good games that it's taken the edge off the "Kyrie-and-what-might-have been" dismay. The NC could still end up on a sour note, but I hope not. I'm hoping that inspiring play and great games will win out.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i want the team that is going to leave it all on the floor tonight to win....uk OR uconn ...doesn't matter....

then i want that winning team to fold like a cheap suit monday night...
    UConn in a marathon 12 OTs that ends Sunday at 4:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    UConn in a marathon 12 OTs that ends Sunday at 4:00 AM.
    Then, they party for another 12 hours after the game, leaving them so exhausted they can barely drag their feet across the floor Monday night. Go Butler (or VCU)!

Gonna have to go with Uconn on this one

That said: I think Digger is going to pick Notre Dame and Hubert is going to pick UNC...Bilas will pick both since neither is Duke, and though Dicky V will make a pick, no one will be able to discern it through the mindless drivel.

Isn't it odd that while all the commentators say this final 4 is wide open, they all pick Kentucky? If it were truly wide open, you'd have about equal shares of people picking each...
    1200. DDMF.

As Lefty would say

When asked who he preferred win a much anticipated match up between UNC and Virgina during the Sampson, Worthy, Perkins era, "I hope they both lose."

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    When asked who he preferred win a much anticipated match up between UNC and Virgina during the Sampson, Worthy, Perkins era, "I hope they both lose."
    I'm pulling for a meteor to take out both teams. That, or a giant sinkhole. Barring that, I like the idea of the 12 overtime game.

KY. Capillary is slimy but little Jimmy C is repugnant. Not only NCAA questions, but the raft of actual lawbreaking miscreants he, and his University, have coddled and condoned is too much for me. And I want as much distance between him and K as possible.

In the "with whom would you have a beer" scenario, I would clearly but reluctantly choose John. But I would only have one, and maybe a pony at that.

The other minor benefit to KY winning is that it will stick in the collective UNC craw more than a UCon victory and that is always worth some bonus points.

I think Butler, provided they advance, could take down a team like UConn. Kentucky seems to have better personnel overall (besides Kemba) and would/could cause the Bulldogs some trouble. Either way, I think Butler wins the whole thing. Not just because I want them to either.

I hope Kentucky beats Uconn. Don't want Uconn claiming 3 titles in 12 years vs our 2.

Plus if you squint your eyes and hold you nose, the kentucky uniforms look kinda like ours.

UConn. Cal is just disgusting, and Kentucky fans are the worst I've ever seen, so I don't want them to have a chance to celebrate.

Oh, and this should have been a poll!! Any chance a mod could add one?

UConn. Despite the likely early entry of Knight and maybe Jones, UK has so much talent coming in next year that they're a legit candidate to repeat if they win.

College basketball doesn't deserve that.

Kentucky.

Why? If UConn wins, I lose my bracket pool. If UConn loses, I lose. Not much incentive for me to cheer for the Connvicts.

Kentucky.

I have a few clients and friends who are from Kentucky. Nice folks, and it will mean a lot to them for the Wildcats to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I'm pulling for a meteor to take out both teams. That, or a giant sinkhole. Barring that, I like the idea of the 12 overtime game.
    There's too much collateral damage in the first scenario. I'm wishing both teams get food piosoning and the Bulter/VCU takes it all. It's not totally implausible as Arsenal fans (English football) can attest to. If that doesn't happen, I prefer UK as the lessor of two evils. Three titles would put Calhoun ahead of Dean, tied with Knight and only one back of K.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 04-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.