Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

WBB - Regional Final - Duke vs. UConn Tuesday 3/29 7pm

After a solid win today, Duke takes on the overwhelming favorite (regardless of what Geno tries to say) UConn Huskies Tuesday at 7PM (just saw the time flashed on the screen on ESPN.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    After a solid win today, Duke takes on the overwhelming favorite (regardless of what Geno tries to say) UConn Huskies Tuesday at 7PM (just saw the time flashed on the screen on ESPN.)
    Hey! Wake up! Let's get this thread revved up for our Women.

This is Duke's 9th Regional Final in 14 years. The seniors are leading the way, Karima Christmas is on fire, the freshmen are very good and getting better. I doubt UConn is thinking they'll run us out of the gym again, and with good reason. I seriously think we can beat them.

What do you folks think? By the way, if you're a bandwagon jumper, now's a great time. This year's freshman class is great, and Coach P has more excellent talent on the way!

Go Duke!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

This is Duke's 9th Regional Final in 14 years. The seniors are leading the way, Karima Christmas is on fire, the freshmen are very good and getting better. I doubt UConn is thinking they'll run us out of the gym again, and with good reason. I seriously think we can beat them.

What do you folks think? By the way, if you're a bandwagon jumper, now's a great time. This year's freshman class is great, and Coach P has more excellent talent on the way!

Go Duke!
    I follow the team closely, root for them like crazie, and go to as many games as I can. That being said, I will be extremely surprised if we beat them. I know that UConn is not as solid as they have been in the past, but I think they are a more experienced team than we are and obviously they beat us badly earlier this season. Our offense has been known to struggle and if they defend us well, it is going to be a long night.

No one hopes I am wrong more than I do. LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I follow the team closely, root for them like crazie, and go to as many games as I can. That being said, I will be extremely surprised if we beat them. I know that UConn is not as solid as they have been in the past, but I think they are a more experienced team than we are and obviously they beat us badly earlier this season. Our offense has been known to struggle and if they defend us well, it is going to be a long night.

No one hopes I am wrong more than I do. LET'S GO DUKE!!!
    Very fair assessment. To note though, Uconn's offense has struggled of late as well. Tiffany hayes has been down for several games, and how she goes, the team goes. I worry that duke makes the mistake of trying to run with uconn...there isn't a better running team in the country than them.
    April 1

Certainly UConn will be favored, but the potential is there for Duke to beat them. And, as y'all noted, we must bring a very good offense with us tomorrow night.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I'd feel more optimistic about our chances if we had any consistent, reliable shooters who could be counted on to hit open shots most of the time when they are available. But I do think it should be a much better game than last time--I am optimistic that our usually very solid defense can give UConn a little more trouble than they did last time, and if we build confidence by playing well early, anything can happen. Maybe it will be an advantage that we will come into the game with relatively little pressure, as compared to some years when we have been expected to win and not been able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I'd feel more optimistic about our chances if we had any consistent, reliable shooters who could be counted on to hit open shots most of the time when they are available. But I do think it should be a much better game than last time--I am optimistic that our usually very solid defense can give UConn a little more trouble than they did last time, and if we build confidence by playing well early, anything can happen. Maybe it will be an advantage that we will come into the game with relatively little pressure, as compared to some years when we have been expected to win and not been able to do so.
    I think our best chance will be if Jasmine and Chelsea go into takeover mode and if Christmas plays like she did vs. DePaul. It wouldn't hurt if Krystal and Ali could convert the easy buckets, but that might be asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01_10 View Post
    Tuesday is 3/29.
    Fixed, thanks.

-jk

I'm not sure why, but top-seeded Pat Summit and Tennessee getting rolled 60 to 48 by Notre Dame makes me happy. Happy is probably not the word. Maybe it just helps me better understand that even the game's Gods can just have an "off night." Getting dunked on repeatedly the other night NBA Hangtime-style would certainly qualify.

We have been blessed with too much and it's very easy to forget that. Very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

Go Duke!
    I agree, Killerleft! And the love should start on the front page of DBR. The main article was posted prior to the DePaul game Sunday afternoon. Duke has a great women's program.
    UConn is definitely a favorite, but anything could happen. UT is going down right now, so...

I'm not hugely confident about this game. I watched the first time we played UConn, and saw them go up 22-2 on us. The question to me is which Duke comes out - the one that lost 3 games in 3 weeks, the one that was down at the half against NC State, or the one that's been rolling strong since the end of the season? If the good team shows up, we have a fighting chance. If not, we're in trouble.

Womens basketball is not my gig...

and I sometimes find it painful to watch. But I hope that Duke beats UCONN in the tournament. I find Auriemma to be a big whiner. and if Duke doesn't beat them, I hope that someone else can take them down.

UCONN women absolutely own us. I hope that we can use whatever revenge factor to propel us over Geno's gang. Not feeling too good about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    UCONN women absolutely own us. I hope that we can use whatever revenge factor to propel us over Geno's gang. Not feeling too good about it though.
    They haven't been doing as much owning of late...not sure if you've watched either of their past two tournament games, but they are far from being dominant. Perhaps they can get the swagger back against duke, but I'm thinking what happened several months ago will not be repeated.
    April 1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They haven't been doing as much owning of late...not sure if you've watched either of their past two tournament games, but they are far from being dominant. Perhaps they can get the swagger back against duke, but I'm thinking what happened several months ago will not be repeated.
    Just think "Miracle on Ice," a team beaten badly just weeks earlier comes back to pull the upset over the overconfident Russians. U-Con certainly has looked vulnerable of late. From memory, against G'town on Sunday they were DOWN BY EIGHT with about eight minutes to go, and certainly didn't have it sewn up until the final minute. Certainly some good tape in the last few games for Coach P and staff to study successful strategies versus U-Con. The ladies need to be focused and on their game. But it certainly CAN BE DONE!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Just think "Miracle on Ice," a team beaten badly just weeks earlier comes back to pull the upset over the overconfident Russians.
    I'm not sure that a) Uconn is overconfident (listen to geno or any of the players in the post game pressers...they talk all about how not dominant they are...despite having 1 loss on the year) b) there is any similarity to the miracle on ice, russia showed no signs of losing prior to the US blasting them, and Uconn has been playing weakly of late...given they only have 6 players who play...this is understandable...also if you recall, duke beat uconn several years ago, so any win over the huskies would not be unprecedented.

Even if the huskies were to get by duke I'm not sure they could beat ND for the fourth time this year...not how they're playing now anyway (I don't think duke could beat them either...but w/e)

go uconn
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    BTTT.
    I have no assumptions that we are going to win..but I do have an assumption that we CAN win..and that is a very different feeling than I would have had if we played them last year. If anything, this should be fun. Win, we go on, lose..we still have had a great season.
    GO DUKE!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    BTTT.
    I have no assumptions that we are going to win..but I do have an assumption that we CAN win..and that is a very different feeling than I would have had if we played them last year. If anything, this should be fun. Win, we go on, lose..we still have had a great season.
    GO DUKE!!!
    Great assessment. The feeling of dominance is not there right now with this uconn team. It certainly was (in my opinion at least) after the stanford loss, but right now, they could lose to anyone who plays a good game.
    April 1

About 15 minutes 'till they tee it up. Watch ESPN!