Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Laettner Looking for Coaching Gig

Laettner is apparently looking for an assistant coaching gig. I know lots of people here will say "Big man coach!"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab-wp1640

I especially like this line on his website about the Christian Laettner Basketball Academy:

I offer discounts to all players, teams and coaches who hail from the states of Kentucky, North Carolina and Connecticut. This comes from the compassion and generosity of my heart and soul for causing you all so much pain, agony and hate over my four year career at Duke!!
    Classic Laettner...

Quote Originally Posted by Laettner
    I offer discounts to all players, teams and coaches who hail from the states of Kentucky, North Carolina and Connecticut. This comes from the compassion and generosity of my heart and soul for causing you all so much pain, agony and hate over my four year career at Duke!!
    I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. Can you ever imagine K putting up something like that? For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.
    1200. DDMF.

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. Can you ever imagine K putting up something like that? For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.
    Not me...I love it...

Dude, lighten up.

Talking

Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there.... ...I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. ... That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers...
    Last edited by -bdbd; 04-01-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo

Pitino should hire him-- the entire state of KY would explode. Laettner always struck me as a Roy Keane type-- great competitor, but not sure his personality ultimately suits coaching. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there... I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers...
    Its just an opinion, but regardless of how much you've had to put up with, rubbing your superiority and success in those people's faces in a professional setting is unacceptable. Since he wants to be a coach, he needs to let his playing days be behind him...it was 20 years ago already...as he says to pitino in the commercial a couple years ago "let it go"
    1200. DDMF.

Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there....
    Fans?

Yes, typical Christian. But if you ever read about all the tons of nasty crap he's had to put up with from KY (and U-con and NC) fans over the years, you might have a better sense of why he'd put that on there.... ...I don't think 'unprofessional' is the right word. It IS funny. ... That said, it doesn't seem like very good "business sense" to, right off the bat, alienate three states' worth of prospective customers...
    If they are not already alienated, I don't think that funny comment would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Fans?

I don't know when that was taken, but stomping on a helpless guy on the floor isn't exactly the best way to endear yourself to fans...much of the crap he got was brought upon by his own actions.
    1200. DDMF.

I'm not going to lie, I think (though humorous) that is a completely unprofessional and arrogant thing to put on a website for a sports camp. For me, it solidifies my opinion of him as rather arrogant and unlikable, though a tremendous player here at duke.
    I dunno... I think it has ONIONS. I like it.
    I don't recall too many complaints on the Grant Hill rebuttal to Rose where he closed with
    (paraphrasing) "BTW- I never lost the Fab 5". Kinda sorta the same thing...

Maybe neither NEEDED to be said... but I prolly woulda done the same in either case. Besides, do you really think parents of UNC, UConn and KY are gonna sent their prodigious prodigies to a Laettner camp anyway?

I tend to think they weren't gonna come anyway

I don't know when that was taken, but stomping on a helpless guy on the floor isn't exactly the best way to endear yourself to fans...much of the crap he got was brought upon by his own actions.
    1991 Midwest Regional Semifinal. And I'm pretty sure the action that inspired it was this.

Seriously?!?! How so? And you can hardly characterize his actions v. Kentucky as "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor". That description just makes me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Seriously?!?! How so? And you can hardly characterize his actions v. Kentucky as "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor". That description just makes me laugh!
    Have you watched the clip? timberlake had just fallen on the floor after a rebound and not a second later, the foot came...I'm pretty sure he could be characterized as 'helpless' at that moment. I also refuse to wear blue glasses in this case and refer to the action as anything other than a stomp.

It is beyond me why the duke community seems to tolerate this abhorrent action.
    1200. DDMF.

To this day I'm still amazed whenever I hear or read someone describe what Laettner did as a "stomp." That word implies heaviness or even violent force. Anyone with even one eye can see that Christian didn't come down with any real force. It was a tap, but not a stomp. If he had really meant to hurt Timberlake he easily could have. But it gives people something to talk about, and all the more when they exaggerate what took place.

Have you watched the clip? timberlake had just fallen on the floor after a rebound and not a second later, the foot came...I'm pretty sure he could be characterized as 'helpless' at that moment. I also refuse to wear blue glasses in this case and refer to the action as anything other than a stomp.

There's a difference between tolerating something and characterizing it appropriately.

Certainly I've seen the clip - many times. I wasn't born last night. But if you think the UK player was actually in danger of being seriously injured, or that Laettner was attempting to injure him, then we'll have to disagree. Especially given that the UK player got up smiling about the whole thing - apparently he was less offended by it than you are. And "stomp" is not an appropriate descriptor here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this a "is Christian Laettner an arrogant jerk?" thread by singling out that comment. I mean, clearly the writer cherry-picked the sentence out on his site to convey that getting a coaching job might be an uphill battle in some quarter due to his perception and Christian even acknowledges that, hoping that coaches and teams will judge him more based on one-to-one interactions and what he can bring to a program rather than pre-conceived notions about his personality. Seems like he could bring a lot of positive things to a program assuming it's a good fit. And the "stomp" of a "helpless player" was the weakest thing I have ever seen - largely symbolic stupidity which Christian admitted was stupid. But the player pointed and got up and laughed and clapped after the supposed "stomp." It was more of a placement of his foot on a guy's chest who happened to be on the ground. Certainly, not appropriate and it was deserving of a T, which was awarded. But if Christian actually wanted to inflict physical pain, he could have easily done so, which he chose not to do. (Again, still was stupid and unsportsmanlike. If you watch the documentary that was linked here a couple days ago, Coach K told him in the huddle "Christian, you just did something incredibility stupid."). (Edit: cross-posted with the above statement post.)

I personally wish Laettner the best in his coaching search, and in my opinion, it the best Duke player ever (but not necessarily my favorite).

The Helpless Timberlakes would be a great name for a band. Your post almost made me snort diet Mountain Dew out my ears - thanks!
    Question: How do you catch fish in a Timberlake? Answer: You use Aminu.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

A bit much

I'll be the first to admit it was a trippy thing to do and probably embarassing. Still it's not confined to him or one team. Everybody has done it at some point in their lives, you get frustrated and you lash out. But "stomping on a helpless guy on the floor"? That's just a hilarious characterization.

Here's a contemporaneous article about the incident in the 1991 game against UConn for anyone who may have forgotten:

UConn's Sellers apologizes to Duke, Laettner
    March 27, 1991|By Ken Davis | Ken Davis,The Hartford Courant

STORRS, Conn. -- University of Connecticut center Rod Sellers sent a letter to Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski yesterday, apologizing for an incident that took place Friday in the second half of their NCAA Midwest Regional semifinal in Pontiac, Mich.

Sellers and UConn coach Jim Calhoun agreed the letter was necessary after viewing videotape.

With just under six minutes remaining in Duke's 81-67 victory, Sellers and Duke center Christian Laettner were involved in a scramble for a loose ball under UConn's basket. As a jump ball was called by the officials, Sellers landed on top of Laettner, pinned him on his back, elbowed Laettner in the face, and then twice used his forearm to slam Laettner's head to the floor.

CBS-TV picked up the incident with an isolation camera and replayed it several times. Then, with 4:55 remaining, Sellers picked up his fifth personal foul and a technical foul for taunting Laettner.