Class of 2015 Duke undergraduate admissions

http://dukechronicle.com/article/373...ots-class-2015

The aforecited Chronicle article summarizes this year’s extraordinarily good undergraduate admissions results. With all the constructive criticisms we (the Duke community) self-inflict, an almost 50 percent increase in applicants during the last few years – with concomitant qualitative improvements – certainly suggests that the University is doing many things well. Congratulations to our newest Dukies.

This is my first year doing interviews for AAAC - generally how soon are admissions decisions posted on the AIMS website?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have been a AAAC interviewer for some years. Generally our AIMS' page will be updated with the applicable decisions early next week. As you are aware, we are requested to contact ONLY those applicants who have been accepted; I usually congratulate, volunteer to help answer any questions and -- most important -- urge Blue Devil Days attendance.

THANK YOU for this significant service to Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    http://dukechronicle.com/article/373...ots-class-2015

The aforecited Chronicle article summarizes this year’s extraordinarily good undergraduate admissions results. With all the constructive criticisms we (the Duke community) self-inflict, an almost 50 percent increase in applicants during the last few years – with concomitant qualitative improvements – certainly suggests that the University is doing many things well. Congratulations to our newest Dukies.
    I would be careful about hanging too much on increased numbers of applicants. With the advent of the common application and its online process which allows one form to be filled out for nearly every college in the US, it seems like students are, as a whole, applying to many more colleges.

For example, when I applied in 19shmerglfarb, I was in need of financial aid, so I applied to 11 schools of varying quality and cost. A couple of years ago, when my cousin applied, also using the common app, even though he was planning on early decision at Berkley (so his mind was pretty made up) he decided not to go early decision and applied to... wait for it... 37 schools! Options open, increased chances of getting scholarships, etc. etc.

So, in general, I would expect application rates to be up regardless of who you are in this day and age.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I would be careful about hanging too much on increased numbers of applicants. With the advent of the common application and its online process which allows one form to be filled out for nearly every college in the US, it seems like students are, as a whole, applying to many more colleges.
    That's true, however, you entirely miss a key element of my post that initiated this thread; specifically: "with concomitant qualitative improvements." The essential point is not only a substantial increase in undergraduate application quantity -- approaching 50 percent in only three years -- but additionally (and even more important) continued enhancement in already outstanding candidate quality (GPAs, class rank, SAT scores, IB/AP, and MUCH more).

In a few weeks, Undergraduate Admission’s will release comparative qualitative information re our Class of '15; I guarantee it will surpass even the last few years’ unbelievable statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post

For example, when I applied in 19shmerglfarb, I was in need of financial aid, so I applied to 11 schools of varying quality and cost. A couple of years ago, when my cousin applied, also using the common app, even though he was planning on early decision at Berkley (so his mind was pretty made up) he decided not to go early decision and applied to... wait for it... 37 schools! Options open, increased chances of getting scholarships, etc. etc.

So, in general, I would expect application rates to be up regardless of who you are in this day and age.
    Wow. I was your year, and I only applied to 2 schools - both in state. Wanted to do engineering and didn't see any point in paying out of state tuition for a public school. I couldn't imagine getting recommendations and writing essays for 11 schools.

Wouldn't the application fees for 37 schools be rather substantial? At $50 a pop, that's almost 2 grand.
    Last edited by Highlander; 04-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    "There can BE only one."

numbers

Those numbers actually strike me as indicating problems. When you have an early admission rate that is that much higher it makes you wonder. Early Admissions are a source of controversy and many people feel they tend to help the already advantaged. Plus all schools like to brag about their selectivity but isn't it really just that they are getting a whole lot of people to apply who have no chance of getting in?