Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I would have to agree that JJ's senior year really was pretty amazing. Not only did he get to the rim more but his mid range game became unstoppable. I always think of the game vs Texas when he put up 41 and could not be stopped. The shots he was taking were fade aways, off screens, etc. So I would definitely add JJ senior year to the list of unstoppable players but I guess the LSU game seems to dispel that notion.
    Another amazing performance from JJ's senior year was the home game vs UVa, where he scored 40 points and had just 13 FG attempts. Details in this boxscore from goduke

Back to the topic:

Will no one join me in a prediction of Austin Rivers averaging 20 points or more per game next year?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Will no one join me in a prediction of Austin Rivers averaging 20 points or more per game next year?
    It would not surprise me if Austin puts up 20+ per game next year. I'm just hoping he plays good D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It would not surprise me if Austin puts up 20+ per game next year. I'm just hoping he plays good D.
    I could see Austin really enjoying over-playing the passing lanes which fits into the Duke defensive gameplan. But the backside help has to be part of it too. He's got the size and quickness to be a really good defender. I seem to remember him tweeting about how upset he was for letting his teammates down on the defensive end back in the fall. Hope he takes that end as seriously as the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He's got the tools and K will make that an emphasis.

Another amazing performance from JJ's senior year was the home game vs UVa, where he scored 40 points and had just 13 FG attempts. Details in this boxscore from goduke

Back to the topic:

Sure, why not? Wouldn't surprise me at all. With the way coach K handled Kyrie's situation, handing him the keys to the team and revolving our pre-season planning around him, he's obviously not afraid to put a lot on a freshman's shoulders. Austin will likely be the focal point of the offense next year. We don't really have any other dominant scorers on the team right now. We should get nice contributions from Ryan, Seth, Andre, Mason(if he stays), but Austin will probably get a high percentage of the shots.

I posted this link in the Quinn Cook thread, but Austin and Marshall are mentioned too:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6273251

His NBA comp is KOBE . . . i hope he can live up to that, Kobe was the greatest player to ALMOST become a dukie

that being said, I dont think he averages 20 points a game, whether kyrie is back or not. Averaging 20 points in the ACC as a freshman is pretty absurd if you think about it. Playing 4 years in high in now way prepares you for the type of defenses he will see in the ACC. If kyrie goes pro, he is the focus of every scouting report and teams will do everything they can to stop him. As a freshman, I don't think he will be able to just handle any team. Will he score 30 points in a game? No question. Will he average 20? I dunno, that's saying he is at LEAST as good as Nolan was THIS year. That's hard to do. I think he averages around 17-18 with 2 or 3 assists and 45% shooting. That by itself would probably put him in the conversation for 1st team all ACC, and easily win him freshman of the year
    Last edited by licc85; 03-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Back to the topic:

I think that will depend a lot on whether Irving comes back, Daniels signs and the development of Curry, Dawkins, Kelly and MP2. That being said, I think he is certainly capable of putting up 20+ ppg.

That step back three Austin has is killer man. Cheese on bread - that's all I got to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Scoring Average
    Code:
    Rk    Name,              Year    G    Pts    Avg
    1. J.J. Redick (Sr.),    2006   36   964   26.8
    2. Bob Verga (Sr.),      1967   27   705   26.1
    3. Dick Groat (Sr.),     1952   30   780   26.0
    4. Art Heyman (Jr.),     1962   24   608   25.3
    5. Dick Groat (Jr.),     1951   33   831   25.18
    6. Art Heyman (So.),     1961   25   629   25.16
    7. Art Heyman (Sr.),     1963   30   747   24.9
    8. Tate Armstrong (Jr.), 1976   27   654   24.22
    9. Jeff Mullins (Sr.),   1964   31   750   24.19
    10. Danny Ferry (Sr.),   1989   35   791   22.6
    Minimum 20 games played 
    Freshman Scoring Average
    Code:
    Rk Name,             Year    G    Pts    Avg
    1. Johnny Dawkins, 1982-83   28   506   18.1
    2. Gene Banks,     1977-78   34   581   17.1
    3. Mike Gminski,   1976-77   27   414   15.3
    4. Luol Deng,      2003-04   37   558   15.1
    5. J.J. Redick,    2002-03   33   495   15.0
    6. Jason Williams, 1999-00   34   492   14.5
    7. Elton Brand,    1997-98   21   281   13.4
    8. Jim Spanarkel,  1975-76   23   307   13.3
    9. Kyle Singler,   2007-08   34   451   13.3
    10. Carlos Boozer, 1999-00   34   443   13.0
    10. Mark Alarie,   1982-83   28   364   13.0
    Minimum 20 games played 
    The true #2, Kyrie Irving, has 17.5 ppg. Unfortunately, he didn't play in the required twenty games.

Tate Armstrong could out and out shoot the ball. His junior year, he was money.

Not to say that he was the greatest scorer, but what a shot.

I think we'll have somewhat balanced scoring next year from Seth, Austin and Dre, ranging from 15 ppg for Dre to 22 to 25+ for Seth and Austin respectively. IF on the small chance that Kyrie comes back next season, we could average close to 100 ppg for the season. And I'm not sure which side of the 100 we would be on...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who wants to be?
    Why bother trying?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    still bad karma IMO :P
    I totally agree. A thread was started last summer asking "where the 2010-11 Duke team would rank in history". I am of the mind that questions like this should be asked after the career/season is completed, rather than before they ever start.

Austin is a great talent and likely a "can't miss" prospect, but that doesn't change the fact that he is just that, "a prospect". He may very well be a great scorer in college, but that needs to playout before judgement can be rendered on where he ranks among great scorers in Duke history. Just my two cents..

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Art Heyman averaged 25 ppg for three seasons, without a shot clock or a three-point shot.

Just saying.
    Who knows what Artie would have in the record books if freshman had been allowed to play varsity then.

Jim, thanks for this reminder of some past talent and records!

An old Michael Jordan/Dean Smith joke, but...

Do you know the only person who can hold Austin Rivers under 20pts next season?

Coach K.

count me in the group that thinks this thread is setting the kid up for a ton of criticism. Barnes was annointed the chosen one, and really struggled from the get go. It took him more than half a season to get comfortable, and he still wasn't all that consistent down the stretch.

I love conjecture as much as the next guy, and am usually not a proponent of advising what to and not to post on a message board, but this seems extreme.

In my mind, a more appropriate thread is: How great of a scorer can Rivers be? At least then we aren't comparing him to the best to ever live in the gothic wonderland before he takes his first class.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Well Dimemag chimes in on the subject... Highlight video included.

http://dimemag.com/2011/04/austin-rivers-is-a-problem/

AND another video from Ballsislife...

Austin makes me happy... He's like JJ, Jason, Maggette, and Grant all rolled into one person.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/med...slife-mixtape/

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Austin makes me happy... He's like JJ, Jason, Maggette, and Grant all rolled into one person.
    I can't help but think you are joking here

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    AND another video from Ballsislife...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/med...slife-mixtape/
    I have a feeling that, upon his arrival at Duke, the board's general use of the word "swag" will skyrocket.