Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gerald and pictures?

I spotted Gerald in the Duke section at today's game (chatting with Marshall Plumlee) and asked him for a picture. He was kind, but said that he doesn't "do pictures anymore." I found this really strange, especially since not only was he was in the Duke fan section but also at his home NBA stadium.

Did something happen to Gerald that I didn't hear about that would make him hesitant to take pictures with fans?

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I spotted Gerald in the Duke section at today's game (chatting with Marshall Plumlee) and asked him for a picture. He was kind, but said that he doesn't "do pictures anymore." I found this really strange, especially since not only was he was in the Duke fan section but also at his home NBA stadium.

Did something happen to Gerald that I didn't hear about that would make him hesitant to take pictures with fans?
    He now believes each picture steals a small part of his soul. And, really, how much soul can one reasonably be expected to share?

s.i.

He's just not that into you!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Maybe with the popularity of Facebook today, he doesn't want any picture of himself on anybody's profile.

He's a vampire. Thats how he jumps so high.

Because he realizes that photos just bring him bad press:

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Because he realizes that photos just bring him bad press:

I figured it might have had something to do with this. There were a ton of Carolina fans in that building.

Its up to him. If he had granted it to you, he likely would have had to spend the rest of his time there taking pictures with people. I can't blame him for just wanting to enjoy the game. If you spotted him outside, perhaps he would have been more open to the idea.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Its up to him. If he had granted it to you, he likely would have had to spend the rest of his time there taking pictures with people. I can't blame him for just wanting to enjoy the game. If you spotted him outside, perhaps he would have been more open to the idea.
    That's what I'm guessing as well... was just joking with the picture. In all likelihood, he probably has fulfilled so many requests the past few years, that he just wanted to enjoy himself and be a fan at the game today.

That's what I'm guessing as well... was just joking with the picture. In all likelihood, he probably has fulfilled so many requests the past few years, that he just wanted to enjoy himself and be a fan at the game today.
    Given it didn't look like he enjoyed himself at the national title game last year. I can't imagine he didn't wish he was a part of it. Personally if I saw him I'd thank him for his time at Duke and wish him the best in his NBA career. Can't argue with his decision to go pro though. I feel bad for the guy that his time came to pass the year before we went the distance.

As a sort of anecdote for how I kind of feel sorry (well...as sorry as you can feel for someone making that kind of money) for players so good that they can make the decision to forgo part of their college career:

When Kobe is asked if he ever regrets not playing college ball he his answer is "every march."

kinda sad in my opinion
    April 1

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Time an place. I think we as fans sometimes overstep our bounds, and should respect their privacy. Gerald is a former player attending the game to root his former teammates on. Just my opinion, but I feel we should respect his space there, say hello, and move on.

Like someone else mentioned, if he grants one photo that opens the door to X amount of Duke fans in attendance expecting the same thing.

Sorry, good people. I will NEVER feel sorry for anyone who leaves school early and doesn't look happy when a team he could have played on wins the national championship. NEVER.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Sorry, good people. I will NEVER feel sorry for anyone who leaves school early and doesn't look happy when a team he could have played on wins the national championship. NEVER.
    I am sorry but if anyone thinks Gerald Henderson was not pulling for Duke against Butler last year with all his heart, soul, and mind, is a lunatic. I am sure he probably thought about the fact he could have been out there, but to suggest Gerald was not happy HIS TEAM won is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Time an place. I think we as fans sometimes overstep our bounds, and should respect their privacy. Gerald is a former player attending the game to root his former teammates on. Just my opinion, but I feel we should respect his space there, say hello, and move on.

Like someone else mentioned, if he grants one photo that opens the door to X amount of Duke fans in attendance expecting the same thing.
    My person opinion is that it comes with the territory. He is a celebrity and makes millions of dollars a year. He can deal with it. Obviously he has every right to decline a fan's request, but to suggest that he has some sort of extra right to privacy in a public arena is silly. (That's why they invented luxury boxes! )

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    When Kobe is asked if he ever regrets not playing college ball he his answer is "every march."
    I regret every day that Kobe didn't come to Duke for a year.

I regret every day that Kobe didn't come to Duke for a year.
    Providence doesn't...they enjoyed their elite 8 appearance that year :P
    April 1

Gerald is awesome, but we had a "meet and greet" with him as part of the Duke club of Charlotte the other week and he was NOT very friendly. He said nothing, signed autographs for about 5 minutes and basically got out of there as quickly as he possibly could. I know he's a "celebrity" but lets be serious I highly doubt he is signing autographs and having his picture taken all the time -- I was definitely surprised he wasn't more proactive.

It was right after they had played the bulls and he had a great game, but the team lost.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    This sounds like the perspective of someone who's never had to make the decision Henderson did. I'm not saying anyone in that spot should be upset when their old team wins -- and I doubt Henderson is -- but I think it might be a little bittersweet. It'd be akin to a student who graduated in the Class of 2009 from Duke. You know and love the players that won a championship, but there has to be a part of you that feels a little jealous that you weren't there for it.

This type of policy is not uncommon for a pro athlete and I understand why. The athlete has no idea about the guy or girl posing with him in the picture. Sure he's probably just a fan but he could be a drug dealer, a game fixer, a sociopath, etc... A harmless picture could lead to a can of worms so why chance it in this day and age. Grant Hill learned the hard way. When he was young, he never thought twice about taking pictures with fans.
    Early in his career with Detroit, he was snapped with a Pistons fan who had an unsavory pasted. Of course Grant didn't know and he learned a lesson. This was before the age of the internet, facebook and twitter so you can only image what it would be like today.

During a tournament game the camera panned to John Stockton. The announcer remarked that Stockton specifically asked to be seated in the middle of the row rather than on the aisle so he could watch the game and not deal with autograph requests. Each autograph or photo takes only a minute - FOR US. But 200 of them in a row means the player/celebrity never gets to do anyting else.