Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    OSU will be the best non-Duke team UNC has played in a month.

No contest.
    After last night's showing, I wouldn't be afraid to say OSU will be the best team UNC has played all year, period. Now, if OSU gets blown out, then we might have an argument.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Washington was the single most difficult 7 seed, and a much more difficult opponent to play than Georgia.

Better than Temple. Better than Texas A&M. And better than UCLA.

They got a break by getting Marquette instead of Syracuse - of all the S16 teams, only VCU would have been easier, and that's a tossup given the way they've been playing. But it's not like they've had a string of upsets along the way.
    I should have clarified a bit. By breaks I didn't mean just the quality of the teams, but the fact that certain teams are more battle-tested than others. Certain teams are more apt to fold than others based on conference and such. I didn't see Washington as a huge threat even though they gave Carolina all it could handle until they decided to "fold", which was not a huge surprise to me. Of course in that game you had a player making the most bone-headed thing I've ever seen in throwing up a shot with 4+ seconds still on the clock, from half-court, with his wrong hand! How is that not a "break" for UNC. The opposite of what Duke faced last night with a team that brought it for 40 minutes and never backed down. Big difference in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Charles Barkley just uttered a howler during the UNC-Mar halftime: he said he thought UK's depth would wear down OSU. Huh? OSU plays 7 guys, and UK plays.... 7 guys, maybe, the 7th of whom is Eloy Vargas. Chuck really likes Coach Cal.
    Yeah Charles lost his credibility in that segment when he said Cal was a great Coach. Maybe Kentucky can beat Carolina and then have it vacated later. That way neither wins, lol.

I'm aware of how little enthusiasm most Duke fans have for the rest of the tourney. Still, I do look forward to the UK-OSU game, not just because the winner gets UNC, but just on the merits. Especially look forward to Aaron Craft v. Brandon Knight.

And in a minor bit of good news, for those who detest UNC and UK almost equally, they're in the same bracket, so one very large fan base will be, um, blue, come Sunday eve. And possibly both.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Yeah Charles lost his credibility in that segment when he said Cal was a great Coach. Maybe Kentucky can beat Carolina and then have it vacated later. That way neither wins, lol.
    Say what you will about how he got the players, but he has taken a bunch of good players to the championship game...it takes a pretty good coach at least to get there, even with super talented players.
    April 1

Takes an...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Say what you will about how he got the players, but he has taken a bunch of good players to the championship game...it takes a pretty good coach at least to get there, even with super talented players.
    Takes an even worse one to have all records of said games removed

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Of course in that game you had a player making the most bone-headed thing I've ever seen in throwing up a shot with 4+ seconds still on the clock, from half-court, with his wrong hand! How is that not a "break" for UNC. The opposite of what Duke faced last night with a team that brought it for 40 minutes and never backed down. Big difference in my book.
    If you're calling a decision made by a player while down by 3 points with less than 5 seconds to go a "break" for UNC (and including it within the scope of your earlier use of "absolutely huge breaks"), I think its your own credibility, and not that of other posters, that you should be worried about.

While Washington ultimately fell apart down the stretch, they were the toughest opponent UNC could have faced in that spot. And on the other side of the bracket, the toughest two teams are still playing.

Again, they got an absolute break getting Marquette instead of Syracuse - that was like a free pass into the Elite Eight. But their second round* game was by no means easy and their games from here on out will not be easy (unlike, say, Kansas, who gets two double digit seeds and then either an 8 or a grossly overseeded 2).

*using the traditional, common sense meaning
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The so and so beat so and so who beat so and so talk is bogus...

UNC has caught 2 breaks in the tourney, playing an 11 seed in the round of 16 and that 11 seed playing absolutely horrible. No complaints or crying here about how "UNC is getting all the breaks," thats how it goes sometimes. Do I like it, no. But.......

Kansas on the other hand has caught a break every single round, ridiculous. And I don't like it cuz A) they are a really really good team who doesnt need this many breaks and B) they are a bunch of classless thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    If you're calling a decision made by a player while down by 3 points with less than 5 seconds to go a "break" for UNC (and including it within the scope of your earlier use of "absolutely huge breaks"), I think its your own credibility, and not that of other posters, that you should be worried about.

While Washington ultimately fell apart down the stretch, they were the toughest opponent UNC could have faced in that spot. And on the other side of the bracket, the toughest two teams are still playing.
    I stand by my statement. I think breaks are not only playing a lower seeded team because of an upset from the previous round, but also playing a team that makes an inexplicably silly play at the end of a game. Heck, everyone except Kenny Smith on the post game was calling that one. Carolina got a huge break there as far as I'm concerned. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    After last night's showing, I wouldn't be afraid to say OSU will be the best team UNC has played all year, period. Now, if OSU gets blown out, then we might have an argument.
    In March:

UNC lucks out against FSU March 2
    UNC lucks out against Miami March 11
    UNC lucks out against Clemson March 12
    UNC lucks out against 7 seed U of W March 20

And now they are given the opportunity to embarrass the 11th worst team in the Big East for an opportunity to reach the regional final.

Classic.

In March:

And now they are given the opportunity to embarrass the 11th worst team in the Big East for an opportunity to reach the regional final.

Classic.
    If they really are that bad, then they won't beat OSU or UK...it's that simple. I don't care how far they get, really.
    April 1

Rock Chalk Cakewalk

Teams with easiest paths to FF since 1985

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=kansas+ncaa

Aaron Craft.

Sure hope to see him v. the oft-impressive - but, strangely, leaves his feet way too often - KM.

Aaron Craft. I think Clark Kellogg said he was unanimous Big 10 DPOY, as a frosh.

In March:

Classic.
    It would seem that every close game UNC wins is a function of luck. You cannot be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    It would seem that every close game UNC wins is a function of luck. You cannot be serious.
    You're right...several of these were decided by referee miscues.

If OSU doesn't wake up in a hurry then the Heels are going to dodge yet another bullet. While I do believe UK has the horses to hang with UNC, they aren't the same team Ohio State is. This is starting to look bad as it comes down the stretch. Neither team is impressing me a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Neither team is impressing me a whole lot.
    Well, it's a fierce game, fierce, excellent defense. Sullinger has been brilliant, but UK's Harrelson is playing him solidly. Aaron Craft is a superb defender, smart, quick hands, perfect positioning both on the ball and on switches. Superb.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If KY (Jelly) and the UCONNvicts end up in the Final Four, I'm becoming a water polo fan!!

Who would have thought back in January that UNC would be in the Final 4? But it has become apparent that UNC is one of the better, more talented teams out there. Even with the loss of 2 players throughout the season, they continue to show plenty of depth. And yes, I'm quite sure they get the win over UK.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Disagree. I'll grant that K was perhaps outcoached in the '99 title game, but if anything, I think he outcoached Calhoun in '04. That UConn team was better top to bottom than our team, and we outplayed them for about 38 minutes. Then the officials got involved.
    The officials were involved way before the 38 minute mark.