Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    wow, don't spend too much time creating something out of nothing. if Nolan would have said the exact same thing, would you question his sincerity and quote his response as an excuse or some sort of an indication that he is full of himself? hypocrisy at its finest my friends.
    But, Nolan didn't.
    Nor did Kyle, as many times as he got hammered all year without getting many calls.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    But, Nolan didn't.
    Nor did Kyle, as many times as he got hammered all year without getting many calls.
    Did a reporter ask either of them about whether or not they got fouled while taking a big three point shot at the end of an elite eight game?

If you go back to the replay, you can see he was fouled by both players on the shot. So, when asked about why the foul wasn't called, he said that the ref didn't see it. Human error. Big deal or just big spin?

my point is people are more willing to assume the worst for a UNC player, yet give the benefit of the doubt to their player. Sure, the situations may not be an apples to apples comparison, but it still irritates me.

UNC fans do it as well and I do not condone that either. I hate it and I will call it out when I see it.
    If by not being "apples to apples" you mean one is made up and the other really happened, then I suppose you're right. In addition, you don't give yourself full credit. Not only will you "call it out when [you] see it", but you'll also make it up when you don't!

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    but you'll also make it up when you don't!
    good one.

my point is people are more willing to assume the worst for a UNC player, yet give the benefit of the doubt to their player. Sure, the situations may not be an apples to apples comparison, but it still irritates me.

UNC fans do it as well and I do not condone that either. I hate it and I will call it out when I see it.
    Have to agree with you 100% here kong. I think barnes' answer was quite acceptable. He acknowledged that the ref might have made a mistake, but he wasn't really 'blaming' the ref. He even went on to acknowledge that he should have made one of the shots anyway. I think that's about as good an answer as you could give. What is he suppsoed to say "nope there was no contact...the ref didn't call a foul so obviosuly there was none"??
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUva Parent View Post
    "On the first shot, there was some contact" Barnes said. "I asked the ref about it, he said he didn't see it, that's human error. It happens. The second one, I tried to draw a little contact, he might have clipped me a little bit, but I should have made the shot."

"Human error", too funny. Barnes didn't seem to think there was "human error" in the Washington/UNC game when the foul disparity in the first half was like 12-1 or when almost the entire UK roster fouled out in the game at the Dean Dome.
    Let me get this straight, from the comfort of your desk you are criticizing an 18-year old kid who just lost the biggest game of his life? And you are doing it because he responded honestly to a question by stating his belief that the ref made a mistake on a play in which, regardless of whether you consider it a foul, there was clearly contact and room for different opinions? And you believe that by dragging out this quotation you are revealing a weakness in Barnes' character?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Let me get this straight, from the comfort of your desk you are criticizing an 18-year old kid who just lost the biggest game of his life? And you are doing it because he responded honestly to a question by stating his belief that the ref made a mistake on a play in which, regardless of whether you consider it a foul, there was clearly contact and room for different opinions? And you believe that by dragging out this quotation you are revealing a weakness in Barnes' character?
    That would appear to be the argument :P
    April 1

IF...UNC would have shot 100 percent, they would have blown Kentucky out too. Coulda Shoulda Woulda, you play the game. Both Kentucky and Arizona played a bit better than their average in our respective losses. Its up to our teams to stop that from happening. We both failed and we are both out of the tournament.
    No one said otherwise. I was responding to another poster who brought that point up and I was just saying that Arizona certainly played better than Washington in this tourney and my eye test verifies that. Of course our respective teams have to stop that from happening. I never said otherwise.

And who the blazes keeps giving you pitchfork points?

Did a reporter ask either of them about whether or not they got fouled while taking a big three point shot at the end of an elite eight game?

If you go back to the replay, you can see he was fouled by both players on the shot. So, when asked about why the foul wasn't called, he said that the ref didn't see it. Human error. Big deal or just big spin?
    Not that I can recall, but if they had, I'd wager their responses would have been "no comment" or "incidental contact" or "I just need to make that shot." Complaining/commenting about the refs publicly gets you a game suspension, IIRC. Same thing with K. He'll cuss and complain during games, but, if asked later, I don't ever recall him complaining to a reporter about call/s and getting a game game suspension. In fact, I'm not sure I recall any acc players/coaches getting a game "vacation" for being critical of a ref to the media after the game. I'd bet someone else can recall an event but my feeble memory at this time can't name one. And, for the record, I thought he "may" have been fouled on one of his shots, but you know, Duke gets all the calls.

kong, you do realize you're on a Duke board? One that tries to treat fans of other teams with class. And I'm sure you realize that harrison barnes is not one of our (Duke fans) favorite players. And for good reason, see the 100-2500 previous posts on this matter. barnes is full of himself and hasn't done one thing for a Duke fan to like him. If you want to be agreed with (concerning unc) then your best bet is over at IC. Most of your posts are civil and make sense, but you're beating your head against the wall on this one. GoDuke!

Complaining/commenting about the refs publicly gets you a game suspension, IIRC. Same thing with K. He'll cuss and complain during games, but, if asked later, I don't ever recall him complaining to a reporter about call/s and getting a game game suspension.
    This is blatantly untrue. You can talk about the refs all you want as long as you don't sit up there and say 'the refs were bad' or 'the refs cost us the game.' If you say, 'I think the ref missed this call,' but then reiterate that it happens and you keep playing the game, then there's nothing wrong with that. This kind of thing happens all the time. You can disaree with a call as long as you're not disparaging the refs or questioning their integrity.
    April 1

Not that I can recall, but if they had, I'd wager their responses would have been "no comment" or "incidental contact" or "I just need to make that shot." Complaining/commenting about the refs publicly gets you a game suspension, IIRC. Same thing with K. He'll cuss and complain during games, but, if asked later, I don't ever recall him complaining to a reporter about call/s and getting a game game suspension. In fact, I'm not sure I recall any acc players/coaches getting a game "vacation" for being critical of a ref to the media after the game. I'd bet someone else can recall an event but my feeble memory at this time can't name one. And, for the record, I thought he "may" have been fouled on one of his shots, but you know, Duke gets all the calls.

You are right. I apologize for saying that they would ever answer a direct question with a diplomatic yet straight forward answer.

Finally

You are right. Duke players and the coaches always make the correct choices and withhold their real opinion when asked a question. I apologize for saying that they would ever answer a direct question with a diplomatic yet straight forward answer. It is unacceptable that I would have considered anything less from anyone associated with Duke.
    kong you've got it correct. Now if we just get you to switch to the Royal Blue team, you'll
    have it all right. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    kong, you do realize you're on a Duke board? One that tries to treat fans of other teams with class. And I'm sure you realize that harrison barnes is not one of our (Duke fans) favorite players. And for good reason, see the 100-2500 previous posts on this matter. barnes is full of himself and hasn't done one thing for a Duke fan to like him. If you want to be agreed with (concerning unc) then your best bet is over at IC. Most of your posts are civil and make sense, but you're beating your head against the wall on this one. GoDuke!
    I don't think Kong is trying to convert you into fans of Harrison Barnes. Rather, Kong is justifiably trying to hold DBR to its own much-heralded standards. A common refrain on this board is that "we're not IC; we're a classier fan-base". If so, then making a mountain out of the molehill that was HB's post-game comment is unwarranted and contrary to the spirit of DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I don't think Kong is trying to convert you into fans of Harrison Barnes. Rather, Kong is justifiably trying to hold DBR to its own much-heralded standards. A common refrain on this board is that "we're not IC; we're a classier fan-base". If so, then making a mountain out of the molehill that was HB's post-game comment is unwarranted and contrary to the spirit of DBR.
    So you're saying that if we have a perception of harrison barnes being a spoiled mama's boy and a high school player that "played" Coach K in his recruitment we are like ic. I don't think we're any where close to that foul mouthed board. Please excuse me if I don't have anything nice to say about hb. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    So you're saying that if we have a perception of harrison barnes being a spoiled mama's boy and a high school player that "played" Coach K in his recruitment we are like ic. I don't think we're any where close to that foul mouthed board. Please excuse me if I don't have anything nice to say about hb. GoDuke!
    thats not the point. this board claims that it is held to a higher standard than the IC. I agree with that. However, I sometimes feel the only person held to a higher standard is me. All joking aside, I think there are plenty of posts on this board that would blend in quite well with some of the worst on the IC. I do not see mods correcting these posters most times, but if I get close to a line, I get warned or banned. I like to point these posts out. On some occasions, some of you back me up and point out some of these poor posts. I hold this forum in a higher regard than I do the IC. That's why I am here and not there. I just want everyone to be treated fair and for everyone to do there part to keep it that way, regardless of their team affiliation.

wow, don't spend too much time creating something out of nothing. if Nolan would have said the exact same thing, would you question his sincerity and quote his response as an excuse or some sort of an indication that he is full of himself? hypocrisy at its finest my friends.
    What? You are the one that asked for the quote and I provided it. First of all, I have never heard Nolan complain about refs. Second of all, where did I question his "sincerity" and say he was "full of himself"? I stated that I have never heard Barnes comment about all the "human error" calls that have benefitted UNC this year. That is all I said. You seem to be presenting a straw man argument.

thats not the point. this board claims that it is held to a higher standard than the IC. I agree with that. However, I sometimes feel the only person held to a higher standard is me. All joking aside, I think there are plenty of posts on this board that would blend in quite well with some of the worst on the IC. I do not see mods correcting these posters most times, but if I get close to a line, I get warned or banned. I like to point these posts out. On some occasions, some of you back me up and point out some of these poor posts. I hold this forum in a higher regard than I do the IC. That's why I am here and not there. I just want everyone to be treated fair and for everyone to do there part to keep it that way, regardless of their team affiliation.
    Other than Mods and the member in question, almost no one sees when someone receives a warning or infraction. The only time it goes public is when someone goes "on holiday".

Now, before several people get warnings or infractions, or go "on holiday", can you all please take it easy?

-jk

I understand your point and I'm sure it gets old reading some of the posts here. We all have our reasons for liking or disliking an opponent. And on this board the most disliked team is unc. My main reason for disliking unc is their fans. One of my good friends(unc fan) says the same thing about Duke fans. But it's not going to change(see 9F and GTHC) but most posters at DBR are civil in their posts regarding unc. But when it comes to harrison barnes, most Duke fans have a bad view of that young man. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    And to futher emphasize Kong's points; Carolina did not really lose yesterday. Harrison Barnes was fouled on both 3 pointers he missed near end of game (according to Barnes); but he has forgiven the officials, since they are "human". I guess the forgiveness was given, since without it he might be suspended for a game in the unlikely event he returns.
    this was the post that implied that HB had "forgiven" the officials for being "human".