Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    So ... The two sleaziest coaches go against each other. Who do you root for (other than the opposite side of the bracket)?
    You have to keep rooting for Kentucky, I think. I can't bear to see Calhoun pick up his third.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

a beautiful day in the neighborhood...whenever Duke wins and Carolina loses in basketball.

Go Duke!

YESSS!!! Seems terrible that I'm happy for Kentucky, but that's just the way it is. Plus, UNC winning was the only way I didn't place in my pool. In any event, a question for you all. Would you rather have the season we had or UNC?

UNC won the regular season
    Duke wins ACC championship
    Duke wins 2 out of 3 vs. UNC
    Duke finishes AP #3
    UNC finishes AP #7
    Duke gets a #1 seed, UNC a #2 seed
    UNC gets to the Elite 8
    Duke gets to the Sweet Sixteen

Ignoring the fact that we got destroyed against AZ, does winning one more game in the NCAA tournament make it a better season? Are we placing too much emphasis simply on the tournament result? I'm honestly not sure which I'd rather have. If UNC made the Final Four, then clearly I'd say they had the better season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    YESSS!!! Seems terrible that I'm happy for Kentucky, but that's just the way it is. Plus, UNC winning was the only way I didn't place in my pool. In any event, a question for you all. Would you rather have the season we had or UNC?

Duke finishes AP #3
    UNC finishes AP #7
    UNC gets to the Elite 8

Ignoring the fact that we got destroyed against AZ, does winning one more game in the NCAA tournament make it a better season? Are we placing too much emphasis simply on the tournament result? I'm honestly not sure which I'd rather have. If UNC made the Final Four, then clearly I'd say they had the better season.
    This clinches it. Our season.

Duke finishes AP #3
    UNC finishes AP #7
    UNC gets to the Elite 8

If they had won today, I'd take their season. Having lost, ours is better. Won ACC Championship, won one fewer game in the dance (with a tougher slate of opponents), and beat the heels 2 of 3.

Duke had a more disappointing season, UNC played up to or even exceeded mid-season expectations. Both teams are disappointed, but your fan base took Duke's loss harder than UNC fans will take ours.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If they had won today, I'd take their season. Having lost, ours is better. Won ACC Championship, won one fewer game in the dance (with a tougher slate of opponents), and beat the heels 2 of 3.
    But Roy takes FOUR whole timeouts into next season! How can you discount that?

Well, at least that one is over. Now the sleaze bowl.

I refused to actively "root" for either UK or UNC. But make no mistake about it. If I didn't have to live around so many UNC fans, I'd have gone for them. Hate 'em or not, at least I can muster some respect for the UNC program, something I have almost none of for the UK program and Calipari. In fact, I think anyone who actually "rooted" for UK should have their license to complain about sleazy schools pulled for three years.

I was amazed that UNC managed to make it a game with Henson in foul trouble.

Now, come Final Four, I've got one side of the bracket that I can't determine who I most hope wins, and the other side I can't determine who I most hope loses.

But come the championship game, I know which side of the bracket gets my rooting.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Duke had a more disappointing season, UNC played up to or even exceeded mid-season expectations. Both teams are disappointed, but your fan base took Duke's loss harder than UNC fans will take ours.
    Right. That #7 preseason team sure exceeded expectations once Ol' Roy got his stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    You have to keep rooting for Kentucky, I think. I can't bear to see Calhoun pick up his third.
    I do not think Calhoun will ever get to 4 to tie K so I can deal with him winning his third as preferable to Cal winning his first.

Cal served his necessary purpose today for me but my tawdry one afternoon stand as a Cats fan has run its course

Right. That #7 preseason team sure exceeded expectations once Ol' Roy got his stuff together.
    i said mid-season expectations.

Do we dare look at IC to verify?

All kidding aside, do you think Henson stays? HB is out I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post

All kidding aside, do you think Henson stays? HB is out I assume.
    seems like everyone will stay. been wrong before, but I believe UNC keeps all three stars and starts out #1 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    But Roy takes FOUR whole timeouts into next season! How can you discount that?
    Holy Moly! I could not believe that Hall of Fame coach roy doesn't call a timeout -down 4, about 30 secs left..they wind up burning about what, 20 second of clock, missing the shot and have to resort to a quick foul? Unbelievable! Love it!

Agreed

I said the same thing before the game. If they win today they had the better season but they did not and I would take ours. The Regular Season Champ is not as clear cut with the lack of a balanced schedule and the Tourney plus 2 out of 3 from our rival. i know we were disappointed in the loss but when I look at this season who else could have lost a player like Kyrie and still had the record Duke did? What if HB would have went down for UNC after 8 games? What would have happened to a team that set a team record with 8 wins of 3 points or less?

And while I respect Kong's posts. The UNC fan base I know will be just as devastated as we were.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    go ahead, it is actually much more positive than this place was the other night. no need to shut the IC down.

Duke finishes AP #3
    UNC finishes AP #7
    UNC gets to the Elite 8

No contest. Who cares about the Elite 8? Biggest divide in the sport is that separating line between the Final Four and the Elite 8. Elite 8 vs Sweet 16? Bleh, who cares. Give me 2 out of 3 and the ACC championship any day. With an injured team, to boot.

seems like everyone will stay. been wrong before, but I believe UNC keeps all three stars and starts out #1 next season.
    I will be astounded if Barnes comes back. What gives you the above instinct (not crowing at all, honestly asking)?

Yeah we probably are more disappointed than UNC fans, but we still had a better season than UNC. That just shows you which program is better right now. Who knows, depending on who goes and who stays, that could change next year.

Yeah, I think Irving stays 4 years too...