Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Biggest question

I'm anxious to see if Kyrie has any additional explosion from his legs. While he played more than admirably last week, one noticed that he was a step or so slow and didn't have the bounce or strength to get all the way to the tin. Let's see if another 3 days of practice will help that out.

Should be a very tight game, I don't have a clue how to call this one. Especially after I thought we would beat Michigan by 20...And, wow that didn't happen.

Your heading for your post here is 'Biggest Loser', wowzap.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzap View Post
    Just a few facts for you dukies;

Duke has lost more sweet 16 games this century than any other school in division I, II, III, mens or womens teams.

2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009.

3 years they lost to a 5 seed. (2000 florida, 2002 indiana, 2005 michigan state)

Can Duke be had? Just asked Michigan. Almost...

However, if you strip away these 6 losses, Duke (coach K) has a NCAA win pct of .832. Wooden has .825 win pct. Unbelievable.

Should be a great game, probably not going to be a 8-10 point Duke win.

Go wildcats!
    I don't appreciate you calling out Duke as the 'Biggest Loser' in your post in this thread.

It stands that if you have more chances at playing, you have more chances at winning or losing. Duke has played A LOT in the NCAAs over the last 25 years. It is truly better to play and lose than to not have the chance to play at all. With all this program has learned over the last 25 years in the NCAA tournament, we'd all have to say that we've built upon it and have learned how to turn a few losses into lemonade.

Thank you and enjoy the game tonight.

dukestheheat

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I'm anxious to see if Kyrie has any additional explosion from his legs. While he played more than admirably last week, one noticed that he was a step or so slow and didn't have the bounce or strength to get all the way to the tin. Let's see if another 3 days of practice will help that out.

Should be a very tight game, I don't have a clue how to call this one. Especially after I thought we would beat Michigan by 20...And, wow that didn't happen.
    I noticed lack of explosiveness and general quickness as well. I dont think much he's done the past month can simulate what it takes to react to an offensive player or to make certain cuts. The best way to address this is probably to keep his runs to 3-4 minutes then a break. It probably hurts him a little more on the defensive end than anything.

I think WowZap was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    I don't appreciate you calling out Duke as the 'Biggest Loser' in your post in this thread.

It stands that if you have more chances at playing, you have more chances at winning or losing. Duke has played A LOT in the NCAAs over the last 25 years. It is truly better to play and lose than to not have the chance to play at all. With all this program has learned over the last 25 years in the NCAA tournament, we'd all have to say that we've built upon it and have learned how to turn a few losses into lemonade.

Thank you and enjoy the game tonight.

dukestheheat
    Hi,

I think the title "Biggest Loser" was a "pun" on the television show and not necessarily trying to be mean or antagonistic. Perhaps I have misread and put too much "niceness" into the post.

Sure, the Devils have been to a lot of Sweet 16 games . They have won a lot of these games too! Coach K says that past experience is not indicative of future results. This is a new team. The Devils aren't defending anything, for example, he often says the Devils are, "Pursing another championship."

I think we are nervous because the Wildcats seem like a St. Johns or maybe a Florida State who gave Duke problems this year. However, the Michigan team matched up really well against us (taking poetic license, I know I am not on the team or even at the stadium tonight) and played a system that gave all the "big boys" trouble just ask Kansas and the Ohio State University. I am not sure that the Wildcats have put that kind of fear into teams such as Kansas, et all. I am nervous, I am nervous before every tournament game.

GO DUKE!

I am too nervous...

Hopefully the players don't feel the same way. Wish we had the early game. Win or lose, I'll be up with an elevated heartbeat well past midnight for this one.

If anyone has figured out a way to make time not pass agonizingly slowly as the game approaches, suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess watching Connecticut and/or Florida get smacked down would be an ideal way to while away the final two hours, if it should somehow come to pass...

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    If anyone has figured out a way to make time not pass agonizingly slowly as the game approaches, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Absolute, certain guaranteed solution to your problem: Get Older.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    Hopefully the players don't feel the same way. Wish we had the early game. Win or lose, I'll be up with an elevated heartbeat well past midnight for this one.
    I have a trip to New York starting tomorrow and I want to be in a good mood for it because it will be my first time in the Big Apple!

The good news is Arizona I am sure is just as nervous. Why not? I don't buy the whole "no one expects anything from us anyway" especially when you're in the Sweet 16. I expect there to be jitters on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Absolut . . .
    I thought you were advising on a bunch of Vodka-drinking. I gotta start reading the WHOLE post.

well...I can no longer focus on anything in front of me...just waiting for game time.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I find it interesting how I get more nervous for these games than any I played in.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Here's a great read on the 2001 title game, from the perspective of Jay Williams, an Arizona reserve player, and two sportswriters. However tonight's game turns out, let's hope it is remembered for the quality of play and not for the officiating.
    I was going to post this link until I noticed you already have. Great memories, despite Forde's typical conspiracy-theorist angle. Someone tell him excessive contact when going for a loose ball is explicitly not a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by gcashwell View Post
    I find it interesting how I get more nervous for these games than any I played in.
    I completely agree. I think it has a lot to do with us having absolutely no control or impact on the game. All we can do is sit down and watch it. At least when I played, I could go out there and have an impact on the game... Now I just watch and at times, feel helpless.

what's everyone sipping on tonight

gin and tonic for me, hopefully just one

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Pabst BLUE Ribbon. Number 4 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Elmer T. Lee bourbon, on the rocks, one per half (at least that's the plan). It was my bourbon of choice during the tournament last year, and after finishing off my existing bottle of Eagle Rare during the ACCT, I resupplied with Mr. Lee.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Pabst BLUE Ribbon. Number 4 right now.
    The Redick beer. Soon to be followed by the Mason beer. I assume you'll stop short of the Singler beer, and please stay away from the Zoubek beer.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The Redick beer. Soon to be followed by the Mason beer. I assume you'll stop short of the Singler beer, and please stay away from the Zoubek beer.
    Will do, but I'm not promising I won't reach the Dick Groat beer by night's end.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Will do, but I'm not promising I won't reach the Dick Groat beer by night's end.
    Hope no one is drinking Arizona beer. I'm bouncing back and forth between Texas, Holland and Maryland beer myself. I'm nervous though - not about the game, just about how I'm going to pass the next 90 minutes without hair falling out.

Since we're on the topic of drinks... Last year, Coca-Cola brought back their classic bottles and partnered up with the NCAA. I saw the 6-packs at the grocery store and decided to pick one up for old times sake. Anyways, long story short, after the first two games of the tournament last year, I realized, coincidentally, that I had drank one of the bottles after each win. 2 games down, 2 cokes down. At that point, I made a rule that I could only have a coke, if we continued to win.

Well, I think you guys can guess how this story ends and let's just say that my 6th and final coke was the greatest tasting drink I've ever had in my life.