Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Michigan Pre-game and In-Game Thread

Post your thoughts here. How will Duke attack the 1-3-1 zone?

CN Duke do a better job against three pointers than we did today?

Hampton shot 4-14 on threes today. Exactly how much better do people want us to do?
    Also, they opened the game in a zone, and we played very similarly to the fashion in which we handled it this time last year, with a tall, good passer in the high post, conducting the offense through a "hub" type of position. Mason is not quite the passer that Zoubs was, but he still acquitted himself quite well IMO. I will be excited to see how the fellas handle it on Sunday, but I'm not worried. Especially if we continue to shoot well (over 53% today, 47%+ from outside), we'll be just fine.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Post your thoughts here. How will Duke attack the 1-3-1 zone?
    Can Duke do a better job against three pointers than we did today?
    I'm thrilled to be taking on Jalen Rose's old team!! I know the current players shouldn't have to bear the brunt of Duke anger over those stupid remarks of his - I'm convinced a big motivator was just to get his show/production free advertising by creating some controversy - but I sure do thirst for some Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie-led revenge on the "corn and maize"... The "Harvard of the West," per Rose.

I think we match up better vs the Mich zone than we would have vs the Tenn athleticism. Just need to shoot well from the outside, and find those seams. I see a good opportunity for Nolan's penetrating and dishing, and Kyle's mid-range game.

When are we likely to play on Sunday?
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-18-2011 at 06:27 PM.

John Beilein is an excellent coach and the 1-3-1 can be challenging. I've seen a few good teams struggle against his 1-3-1 when it's being played well. Good spacing, the ability to be able to penetrate and disrupt the zone (Nolan, Kyrie, that means you two), and the ability to knock down open three pointers on kickouts will be key. Also, we have to have disciplined defense against Beilein's well coached, patient attack, and push out for fast break points on their misses. We're a much more athletic team and hopefully can take advantage of that.

That team I watched today against Hampton doesn't need one molecule of extra motivation. Miles was a beast ... Kyle and Nolan were Kyle and Nolan ... The defense was active ... 17 assists ... AND late in the second half, Kyrie's smile returned!

K and his staff have done a magnificent job with the team since the start of the ACCT.

No disrespect to Michigan, but there's no way, IMO, they can hang with this Duke team for 40 minutes. I'm very glad to have Kyrie back and think he'll really start to look like himself next weekend. BUT ... The emergence of the post (particularly Miles) will have more to do with a serious run to Houston than Kyrie.

I'm not being overly confident and thinking we can't lose, but it's gonna take one whale of a team to beat these guys.

I think Duke can lose if they are not making their 3 pointers. Michigan will play a deliberate style that will keep the score down. They are extremely well coached and they can play with anyone (go back and check all their close games with Syracuse, Ohio State, and Kansas).

It is real easy to have wild mood swings when watching your favorite team. A lot of Duke fans pointing to the final four after the last couple of games, while earlier an early round knock out was called for after losses to Tech and UNC.

Almost every year you have a top seed losing to a lesser team. It can happen to Duke if they don't shoot well from outside.

Yes, remember these guys lost to Kansas in OT and played OSU close all 3 times, lost at Syracuse by 3 and lost to Wisconsin by 1.

Duke is a better team but Michigan is certainly capable of staying close, and anything can hope if it's close game with 5 minutes to play. Duke will need to bring their A game.

Worried about them hitting a lot of threes, so we need to lock them down.

Michigan is not a great rebounding team, factor in the zone and the difficulties it brings when boxing out, the Plums should get us many 2nd chance opportunities.

This game worries me a bit because Michigan's 1-3-1 zone. We haven't seen much of anything like it all year (we've seen 2-3 zone, not 1-3-1). Little practice time to prepare for it. Can't settle for long jumpers and commit turnovers that lead to easy buckets. I think it will be a good game, Mich will need to hit some big time shots they normally wouldn't make if they want to win it

I'm glad Michigan blewout Tenn. Let them feel really good about themselves .... The Michigan crowd was chanting "we want Duke." Careful what you wish for

John Belien was very well liked while he was at WVU. He ran a clean and respectable program and he is an excellent coach. Considering the talent we were able to recruit during his tenure at WVU, he did pretty well with them. He will have his team ready and we really need to focus on Michigan before we look ahead. I think talent wise, we are heads and shoulders above them, but we need to take them serious.

a win gives Coach K career win #900. He would become only the 2nd coach in mens division 1 history to achieve this. I'm sure coach will keep them focussed on the task at hand, but the players will still have extra motivation to pull off this win.

Darius Morris' assist rate is 3rd in the nation. At 6-4 he has an advantage in seeing over the defense. This is a huge defensive task for Nolan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle on him too.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Just like everyone else I liked what I saw even though this was a #16 seed. Everyone just seemed to flow together. I feel like we are capable of big leads now in the first half and hopefully putting games away early. I really don't feel scared now that Kyrie is back and the Plumlees, Curry, Kelly, and Dawkins are playing outstanding ball. As long as we can keep our defensive intensity up like the ACC Tournament we can afford getting fouls. This team wants it!

Baylor game last year

I recall that Baylor played a 1-3-1 last year (correct me if I am wrong). How did Duke attack that last year? If I recall Zoubs parked himself at the foul line and dished the ball out to open shooters. (I think someone earlier in the thread pointed this out.)

This year I think Mason or Kelly can man that position, but they each can also be an offensive weapon from there...Mason has shown the ability to drive and Kelly can shoot from there. If Michigan collapses on the high post look for drivers from the corners or Dawkins and Curry firing up threes.

With Kyrie back is this a game where we go "small" with one of Miles, Mason and Ryan on the floor with four from the group of Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre and Kyrie?

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    a win gives Coach K career win #900. He would become only the 2nd coach in mens division 1 history to achieve this. I'm sure coach will keep them focussed on the task at hand, but the players will still have extra motivation to pull off this win.
    I just hope getting Coach K the win does not make the team too hyped up for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I just hope getting Coach K the win does not make the team too hyped up for this game.
    Getting Coach K the win should not even be a concern for the team. They have more important things to focus on, like the game plan for beating Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I recall that Baylor played a 1-3-1 last year (correct me if I am wrong). How did Duke attack that last year? If I recall Zoubs parked himself at the foul line and dished the ball out to open shooters. (I think someone earlier in the thread pointed this out.)

This year I think Mason or Kelly can man that position, but they each can also be an offensive weapon from there...Mason has shown the ability to drive and Kelly can shoot from there. If Michigan collapses on the high post look for drivers from the corners or Dawkins and Curry firing up threes.

With Kyrie back is this a game where we go "small" with one of Miles, Mason and Ryan on the floor with four from the group of Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre and Kyrie?
    Pretty sure Baylor played a 2-3 zone, not a 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 zone isn't very common.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    When are we likely to play on Sunday?
    We play at 12pm. on Sunday.

West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Pretty sure Baylor played a 2-3 zone, not a 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 zone isn't very common.
    WVa tried the 1-3-1. Huggins inherited it from Belein. Duke shredded it.

I'm pretty sure we beat by tossing it into Zoubs at the free throw line and letting him find the open shooter. Sounds like we need to have Seth or Andre at the weak side corner, which is the open spot in that zone. Maybe some real b-ball experts could weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    WVa tried the 1-3-1. Huggins inherited it from Belein. Duke shredded it.

I'm pretty sure we beat by tossing it into Zoubs at the free throw line and letting him find the open shooter. Sounds like we need to have Seth or Andre at the weak side corner, which is the open spot in that zone. Maybe some real b-ball experts could weigh in.
    R Kelly happens to be a good passer from that area, and a good shooter from there too. He may be a key to the game in addition to Curry and Dawkins shooting from range. As long as Duke attacks the zone and doesn't settle for too many J's I think the offense will be effective.