Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Grant Hill's Response to Jalen Rose

Snap! Grant, once again, rules with his brilliant response.

Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post
    Grant just tweeted that the NY Times edited his response and that his full response will be on granthill.com soon.

Grant Hill with...perspective!!!

Spoiler alert!

The end is my favorite part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hill
    I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill
    Phoenix Suns
    Duke ‘94

Kills it with the last lines

Super Turkey beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Super Turkey beat me to it.
    Yeah, and it looks like Snork beat me to it in the original Fab Five thread.

Yes, a very well written piece by Grant.

My favorite part:

I caution [the Fab Five] to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger."

The NY Times had to edit some. Grant just posted this full unedited response on his website.

The NY Times had to edit some. Grant just posted this full unedited response on his website.
    fixed link:
    http://granthill.com/hilltop/hilltop...es-documentary

Excellent. One of my favorite Grant Hill stories was his recruitment trip to John Thompson's Georgetown. Grant was local star in northern Virginia, so even the Georgetown staff should have known that his mom was a Wellesley grad and his dad, quite a bit more famous then as a pro football star for Dallas and then the Redskins. He may have been the only first round pro draft pick out of Yale.

With that factual setting, Grant described a recruiting meeting with Thompson and the team's academic adviser in a later interview in Esquire:
    [Hill] told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/grant-hill-1
    Last edited by Rudy; 03-16-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Wow

What a response. Makes me proud to have shared the same campus with him for just a little while.

Grant Hill = "Winning!" as Sheen would say.

The reasons Grant Hill should take great, justifiable pride (not arrogance) in himself, his family and his heritage -- and that Dukies should feel immense pride in him -- are literally too numerous to count. However, his just-publishes New York Times letter certainly ranks among them. Passionate in its beliefs (but not boastful), eloquent in its language, and lucid, concise, civil, unequivocal, entirely logical in its agreements, this superb response provides current, specific and demonstrable differences between Dukies and Michigan’s “Fab Five.”

Please read this letter, and then join me in extolling Grant.

What a polished piece. Grant makes me proud to have had the privilege of a Duke education.

I hope this article has as much impact as Jalen Rose's pathetic commentary.

To quote a friend, "A lesson in how to take the high road without giving up an inch. Really well done."

My favorite comment after the NYT version - from Chris at 2:26:

"A predictably well-put response by one of the best guys in the NBA. That, kids, is why you go to college."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    What a polished piece. Grant makes me proud to have had the privilege of a Duke education.

I hope this article has as much impact as Jalen Rose's pathetic commentary.
    Been reading some responses on twitter and you know it is a good piece because all they are talking about is the usage of past and present tense and not what Grant wrote.

Tweet from Jay Williams: Going to give my thoughts on the FAB 5 documentary & Grant Hill's article today at 3:15 on the Scott Van Pelt show on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Excellent. One of my favorite Grant Hill stories was his recruitment trip to John Thompson's Georgetown. Grant was local star in northern Virginia, so even the Georgetown staff should have known that his mom was a Wellesley grad and his dad, quite a bit more famous then as a pro football star for Dallas and then the Redskins. He may have been the only first round pro draft pick out of Yale.

With that factual setting, Grant described a recruiting meeting with Thompson and the team's academic adviser in a later interview in Esquire:
    [Hill] told Esquire that when he visited Georgetown, "Coach [John] Thompson was there, and Miss Mary Fenlon, Georgetown's academic adviser. We're sitting in a room and Miss Fenlon hands me a book and says, `Read this.' I was a little startled, but I took the book and started reading to myself. Then she says, `I meant, read out loud.' So I started reading out loud. After a page, she stops me and says, `Now, tell me what you've read.'" Deeply--and justifiably--offended, Hill left the room vowing never to attend Georgetown.
    Really cool story; I had never heard that.
    A quibble with the totality of that answers.com article (which is really apropos of nothing)...It says about Grant's early career at Duke:
    Playing as a freshman in the shadow of such notables as Bobby Hurley and Christian Laettner, Hill nonetheless made a great contribution to the team. The Blue Devils won the 1991 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) national championship by beating the University of Kansas. The final score in that game was a miraculous slam by Hill, made off an erratic pass by Hurley.
    The errant pass and emphatic slam made for the first score of the game, not the final one.