Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron

Cell Phone upgrade advice; DBR Medical folks

As I always tend to do, before I make any major purchases, especially electronic, I like the input from the denizens of this board.
    This time, I'm able to do an upgrade with Verizon (I'm in Durham), and I'd like to get one that can handle E-pocrates, and I'm curious what unit the Med folks on this board like.
    Verizon is now selling the I-phone, but I want to make this upgrade one that lasts, and the Droid and other phones are listed as e-pocrates compatible.
    What phones do you guys like/dislike, especially those in the medical field?
    Thanks in advance,
    JStuart

Short answer: iPhone.

Long answer: I have an android powered device, the EVO 4G, and I love it. But I don't love it for its medical application prowess, I love it for being customizable. If you care about being able to "hack" or "root" your phone and tinker with the software, then you may enjoy Android more.

My experience is that the iPhone is far more accepted and integrated into medicine. I would say >70% of docs I know have iPhones. Epocrates has more features on the iPhone, gets upgraded more frequently, and there are also other more powerful medical apps for the iPhone, such as apps for reading CTs, anatomy, calculators, etc. Outside of Epocrates, I haven't found any medical apps that I bother keeping on my Android phone.

Also, with EMRs gaining traction, they seem to all sync with the iPhone and iPad, but I have yet to see one that supports Android. I expect that this trend will continue due to the iPhone already saturating the medical market and privacy concerns with the open nature of Android.

One last thing to mention: the battery on the iPhone is better (for when on overnight call). My phone lasts longer than an iPhone, but it's because I tinkered and rooted my phone. Certainly wasn't that way out of the box.

-bp

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Thanks, BP.
    JStuart

If you like something simple, that is not customizable or flexible and that you have to use with itunes on your computer, then go with the iPhone. It's the easiest mobile operating system to use, but is also the most limited.

If you like to be able to customize things and have more freedom to use your phone as you please, go with an Android powered device. Verizon has the HTC Thunderbolt coming out very soon and it will be their first 4G LTE device. It will be the best phone there is when it comes out as it will be the most powerful and full featured phone currently on the market.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S2, which should come out in May. It will blow everything else out of the water.