calling Weezie and BlazinDW (and other Detroiters)

I will be in Detroit fo a night over Memorial Day weekend. We arrive in Detroit on Friday and will spend most of the day Saturday in Detroit before heading to Toledo for a wedding. Our current plan is to spend the day at the Henry Ford Museum, and as such we will need a hotel to stay in around the museum, as well as a dining suggestion.

Any and all input would be appreciated.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Check your pms.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Check your pms.
    Channing has pms? How can you tell it's that time of month?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Channing has pms? How can you tell it's that time of month?
    the emoticon makes the post.

There's a Hyatt Regency that I recall is pretty nice. It's right down the street from the museum at Fairlane Town Center.

Don't know many good restaurants in the Dearborn area but could recommend a couple local nice places in Farmington Hills or Southfield. Also, for lunch make sure you get a coney island. I would recommend Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit, but that's a hike from the museum. Fairlane may have a Leo's Coney Island which also pretty good!

Ooo, I forgot about the Coneys. I suggested he do 1/2 day Henry Ford then squeeze in Hitsville and them go see the Tigers pound the redsox that night @ Comerica. I presumed you would agree w/me blazin'. In fact, we should arrange to all go to the
    D and meet up at the park and eat smoked 'basas and drink copious amounts of beer. Friday night, def a good hurler on the mound for the Tigs

Should check w/BD, too.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ooo, I forgot about the Coneys. I suggested he do 1/2 day Henry Ford then squeeze in Hitsville and them go see the Tigers pound the redsox that night @ Comerica. I presumed you would agree w/me blazin'. In fact, we should arrange to all go to the
    D and meet up at the park and eat smoked 'basas and drink copious amounts of beer. Friday night, def a good hurler on the mound for the Tigs

Should check w/BD, too.
    All great suggestions! Yes, you're right I do agree on all of that. I wish I could be back in the D for Memorial Day, but I will be on the Duke Young Alumni trip in China! I will be craving a coney dog when I return though, as I will hit up Motown the following weekend for the USA-Canada soccer match on June 7th.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I second the suggestion about a night at the Copa (Comerica Park), I would love to host but I will be in Va for a family reunion - it sucks when one's "little" niece is graduating from law school - Wake Forest no less. The Copa is a 1st class venue and about as good a time as can be had in Detroit if you like baseball.

If it suits your taste-buds, I would recommend trying a middle-eastern/ Mediterranean cuisine while in Dearborn. It is an ethic area and the food is absolutely fabulous, with a wide range of prices. I would think the hotel can recommend something nearby.

Another interesting, but rather expensive, option is the Coach Insignia restaurant at the top of the GM center in downtown Detroit, which overlooks the river and Windsor Canada. the food is very good, and view is spectacular (it is one of the highest restaurants in the country). A few decades ago I took a visiting Dukie to a prior edition of the restaurant (when it revolved) on the night before Halloween, and we spent a great evening trying every specialty drink they offered as we watched the "Devil's Night" fires start up and blaze throughout Detroit.

Or bring a passport and slip over to Windsor for a very nice, reasonably priced dinner. They have a "little Italy" section with a group of nice restaurants.

It would be worth visiting Hart Plaza and the Riverwalk at the GM center. There should be plenty going on that weekend (some sort of free concerts - perhaps the Motown Hoedown)and it may give you a better impression of Detroit.

If we are going to Toledo, are we better off starting our day around the motown museum and then going to the Henry Ford museum or vice versa? Which venue is closer to the airport? How far is the Henry Ford museum from the motown museum?

Thanks!

Sorry to butt in here...non-Detroiter (Pittsburgh)

Loved the Motown and Hitsville references. Have you all seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the documentary/performance film about the Funk Brothers who backed up all the Motown hits? Great story and great, great music.

Joan Osborne doing Jimmy Ruffin's old hit What Becomes of the Brokenhearted? is a terrific performance. If possible, better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    If we are going to Toledo, are we better off starting our day around the motown museum and then going to the Henry Ford museum or vice versa? Which venue is closer to the airport? How far is the Henry Ford museum from the motown museum?

Thanks!
    If you're going to Toledo after those places, do Hitsville first and then Henry Ford. Henry Ford is a bit further south and it's just a few miles to I-75, which takes you south to Toledo. It's also closer to the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sorry to butt in here...non-Detroiter (Pittsburgh)

Loved the Motown and Hitsville references. Have you all seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the documentary/performance film about the Funk Brothers who backed up all the Motown hits? Great story and great, great music.

Joan Osborne doing Jimmy Ruffin's old hit What Becomes of the Brokenhearted? is a terrific performance. If possible, better than the original.
    Haven't seen that...will have to check that out!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Have you all seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the documentary/performance film about the Funk Brothers who backed up all the Motown hits? Great story and great, great music.

The video and CD are absolutely fantastic. Regular playlist in my car on any long trip.
    Joan Osborne's singing will make the hairs on your neck stand up. Bootsie Collins even brings it!
    Blazin', it was filmed at that old movie theater in Royal Oak, now a music venue.
    Tremendous fun.
    Last edited by weezie; 03-27-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: roywhite! the coolest! ;-)