Thread: A Mea Culpa

A Mea Culpa

Bit OT from the NCAA week.

Just wanted to discuss the fine job the folks here @ DBR do in terms of keeping us in line. To the point: During the final game of the season, I was on the thread and was incredibly disappointed with the play of one of our players...and really, inappropriately, vented my frustration...and I was warned by the DBR moderator...and then finally banned for a couple of days.

A decision that was totally correct.

Now to my Mea Culpa...I'm sorry to the posters here, to the DBR moderators and, most, of all, to the player I laid into. He has since stepped up and been an incredible asset to the team.

I like to think it was my abuse that motivated him, but I know it really comes from hard work, dedication and talent.

Again, I apologize for my behavior.

Brian Keeler, '74

Let's Go DUKE!

Sometimes it is hard to remember that our players are young adults with classes, girl friends, colds and flu, family issues etc. Bad games happen. I believe Duke athletes are innately overachievers because of what's entailed in being a Duke student and also playing a sport. Go Devils!

Wonderful post

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Sometimes it is hard to remember that our players are young adults with classes, girl friends, colds and flu, family issues etc. Bad games happen. I believe Duke athletes are innately overachievers because of what's entailed in being a Duke student and also playing a sport. Go Devils!
    Great point and I might add that it took me more than a few years for this to dawn on me. Like you say our Duke players have a life outside of basketball and then they give it all in practices(very hard work), film sessions and on game day. If we post with the idea that the player, parent, sibling or our coaches will read that post, I think we would be a little more kind in what we say. I love these fine young men and wish nothing but the best for them in basketball and in life. God Bless you young men. Go Duke!

Everyone needs a good time out every once in a while. I can tell you that the emotions you were feeling were probably a hundred fold in the minds of the coaches and players. Sometimes these boards can get a little sensitive, which is understandable, because of the ultimate goal of providing quality discourse and not letting discussions digress into boneheaded smack talking like all the other boards have mostly become. Point is, all is good. Duke needed a course-correct after that game and they responded amazingly, because of their own pride.

One thing you have to remember is that this board doesn't exist without content, people taking the time to write in and participate. It's free content for DBR, which you and everyone here is providing, and a wonderful vehicle for like-minded fans to communicate. I think it's good that some posters push the envelope once in a while. The moderators will decide on where the line is drawn. Sometimes, that needle fluctuates, and although I don't know what you wrote -- the moderators are also suspect to their own emotions and reactions from time to time. In then end, keep contributing and they'll do the great job they do keeping this online community moving forward.

When I was reading the negativity during the in-game thread, I just kept thinking about how emotionally involved I am with this particular team and how badly I want to see them succeed. Granted, I've only been a true Duke fan since I matriculated in 2000, but I don't think I've loved a team like this one since the 2000-01 team.

It's a terrible habit that we humans have sometimes that we treat our favorite people with the most harshness because we expect so much from them. I think that's part of what happened in that thread when people lost track of their emotions.

It takes a big person to admit that. Well done, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    ... but I don't think I've loved a team like this one since the 2000-01 team.
    I really loved last year's team as well...but I really love watching Nolan play this year. Right up there with watching JJ and Jason Williams.

I was getting to love watching Kyrie, but I think seeing him in DUKE #1 uniform may be over...

sigh.

...or not. =)

I just wanted to say that I think it's pretty cool of you to step up and issue a mea culpa.

I remember my college days (for the most part...) and I find it amazing just how much the kids are able to accomplish while in school. As for love of this team, this may be my favorite Duke team. That's going some when I consider how much I loved the '86 and '91-'92 teams.