Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    It is all very touchy. In short- What Rose felt at the time he was a young man and to some extent now, and what is felt by many in the black community still, is that Duke basketball has no interest in taking any risks with regard to black athletes that aren't "safe."

Black folks talk about this stuff. A lot. There are many different takes on many different things within the black community. One of those feelings, and it is a feeling that Rose represents, is being glad that Hill, Jay Williams et al did well at Duke. At the same time many feel that Duke and Coach K reject out of hand an entire section of the black community as not "Duke material' and that the rejection is based solely on socio-economic status.

For many, the media pointing out the success of Dukes middle class black athletes feels as though it is another way of saying you have no place.
    Being as completely out of touch with the "Black community" as one can be (I must live in the "whitest" area of the US), I have no direct knowledge of what inner city blacks are thinking about Duke (if they are thinking about Duke at all?), but it would not surprise me if what you say is true. I'm sure many other inner city basketball players feel the same way that Jalen Rose obviously felt (right or wrong) about the recruiting at Duke. I watched the documentary and found him to be sincere (but perhaps misguided) in his resentment and jealousy towards the Duke players. Obviously, he used a poor choice of words to accuse them of being "Uncle Toms" but I have no doubt he felt that way at the time and may still feel that way.

It is all very touchy. In short- What Rose felt at the time he was a young man and to some extent now, and what is felt by many in the black community still, is that Duke basketball has no interest in taking any risks with regard to black athletes that aren't "safe."

Black folks talk about this stuff. A lot. There are many different takes on many different things within the black community. One of those feelings, and it is a feeling that Rose represents, is being glad that Hill, Jay Williams et al did well at Duke. At the same time many feel that Duke and Coach K reject out of hand an entire section of the black community as not "Duke material' and that the rejection is based solely on socio-economic status.

For many, the media pointing out the success of Dukes middle class black athletes feels as though it is another way of saying you have no place.
    But anyone who bothers to explore it a little further would see that it is not based solely on socio-economic status. Chris Carrawell and Sean Dockery are examples of inner city kids that were recruited by Duke. Elton Brand was not from the inner city, but did grow up in an underpriveleged, single parent family.

The "Duke material" distinction is based primarily on character and ability to succeed at the university, and not just as a basketball player.

First, I don’t think that there is any doubt Coach K is more selective about whom he recruits because Duke is a more selective university in general. So he must start from a higher baseline. Second, I am sure Coach K is not going to recruit someone he thinks will not shed a positive light on his program and Duke in general. I guess K did not think Rose fit that bill and from what I saw of him on the court, I would have to agree with K on that.

But there are other kids from hardscrabble backgrounds that K would have loved to coach. For example, he loved Juan Dixon and if Dixon wanted to go to Duke I think he could have.

Finally, do the folks in the black community whom you reference really know whom Duke recruits? There are tons of recruits who do not end up at Duke. Those misses are lamented on this board all the time. I am only guessing but I suspect that they reason may have a lot to do with the fact that they are likely to feel less comfortable at a private institution with quite wealthy and mostly white students with whom they feel no connection. All things equal, as between Duke and a public university with a more diverse (ethnically and economically) student body, they end up choosing the public university. I would venture to say it is same with white students. They go where they feel most comfortable.

One Fab Five thread is enough.

-jk