Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking MBB: Duke vs. Hampton, Friday at Charlotte, Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

We are where we set out to be: #1 seed. Duke plays the Pirates of Hampton Univ. (24-8), the MEAC champions. I haven't seen Hampton, but the Pirates have wins over Winthrop, Boston U., GW, and Colorado State. Their leading scorers are guards, 6-6 Darrion Pellum and 6-3 Kwame Morgan II. 6-8 Charles Funches grabs the rebounds (7.8), and Brandon Tunnell is the distributor (4.5 assists).

Given the lack of success of #16 seeds, I think the questions are mostly about Duke:

1. What about Kyrie? He seems eager to suit up but has not yet participated in 5-on-5 scrimmages.

2. Will the intensity be there for Duke? I always say "yes" and am usually right, because Duke's walkthroughs and shootarounds at the NCAAs are more intense than other teams' scrimmages. But the question remains.

3. Will the incredible supporting cast continue their hot streaks from the ACCs: Miles, Ryan, Seth, Andre and Mason? Who needs a #3 scorer?

4. Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?

It's great to be back at this time of the year --

sagegrouse

Thanks for expeditiously posting the game thread and asking thought provoking questions to stir the conversation. It's March Madness so we have to be sure to take care of business one game at a time starting with Hampton.

Survive and advance!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We are where we set out to be: #1 seed. Duke plays the Pirates of Hampton Univ. (24-8), the MEAC champions. I haven't seen Hampton, but the Pirates have wins over Winthrop, Boston U., GW, and Colorado State. Their leading scorers are guards, 6-6 Darrion Pellum and 6-3 Kwame Morgan II. 6-8 Charles Funches grabs the rebounds (7.8), and Brandon Tunnell is the distributor (4.5 assists).

Given the lack of success of #16 seeds, I think the questions are mostly about Duke:

1. What about Kyrie? He seems eager to suit up but has not yet participated in 5-on-5 scrimmages.

2. Will the intensity be there for Duke? I always say "yes" and am usually right, because Duke's walkthroughs and shootarounds at the NCAAs are more intense than other teams' scrimmages. But the question remains.

3. Will the incredible supporting cast continue their hot streaks from the ACCs: Miles, Ryan, Seth, Andre and Mason? Who needs a #3 scorer?

4. Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?

It's great to be back at this time of the year --

sagegrouse
    I love the emphasis in the ACC Tourney of driving and getting the ball inside early. Take it to them. I don't think it is a coincidence that we had a great outside shooting game (9-20) today after just attacking in the paint and on the boards for the first quarter of the game.

Does anyone know the starting time of the game? I am trying to make sure I work out my schedule at work. I took off both Thursday and Friday to enjoy the games, but a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    Does anyone know the starting time of the game? I am trying to make sure I work out my schedule at work. I took off both Thursday and Friday to enjoy the games, but a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.
    The game times have not been announced except for the "First Four". Here's the website to keep an eye on for updates:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    The game times have not been announced except for the "First Four". Here's the website to keep an eye on for updates:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules
    Well, according to CBS' twitter we will be the second afternoon game. (around 3pm?>)

CBSSports CBS Sports
    Friday Nantz-Kellogg on truTV- 12:40 Michigan-Tennessee, then Duke-Hampton. #onCBS UNC-Long Island, then Washington-Gonzaga

Ticket news

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere yet but the IDs sent a mass email telling anyone not in Group 1 to go the Ticketmaster route.
    Just did but tix are 2nd level not that great but whatevs, went ahead and bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    ...a colleague scheduled a client meeting on Friday afternoon...darn (think a much more harsh adjective) Carolina grad.
    I had a hole fan (fake friend) txt me to go soak my head when Duke jumped out to their delicious lead in 1st half today. The nerve!

Should be a nice home game atmosphere for Hampton.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Well, according to CBS' twitter we will be the second afternoon game. (around 3pm?>)

CBSSports CBS Sports
    Friday Nantz-Kellogg on truTV- 12:40 Michigan-Tennessee, then Duke-Hampton. #onCBS UNC-Long Island, then Washington-Gonzaga
    is our gam on tv for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    is our gam on tv for sure?
    All the games are on TV this year and there is alway march madness on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post

CBSSports CBS Sports
    Looks like this is correct/confirmed:

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basket...ournament.aspx

Well I believe you get tickets to 2 different sessions. So maybe Duke lucks out a bit and UNC fans stay in work for the Friday session and show up for them at 7. I think that is better than UNC being @ 3 and Duke being the next game.
    Although I guess it doesn't really matter much since it is Hampton. Anybody a veteran of these tournaments and know if the other team's fans are more likely to show up for the game before theirs or stay for the one after. I seem to remember the Gboro Coliseum seemed to clear out after UNC games in the past

I, for one, am super excited that my husband (who I thought didn't "get" my addiction) surprised me by ordering the ticket package for the games in Charlotte. This will be my first trip to a live NCAA tournament session. I'll be the one screaming her head off in the upperdeck. And, yes, I'll be doing a massive 9f during the Tar Heel game.

Maybe Nantz & Kellogg can broadcast us to another 6 tourney wins in a row!

Although I doubt they'd be in Anaheim.

Can somebody give me the link for tickets? I'm looking on ticketmaster but cannot find them. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me the link. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Looks like this is correct/confirmed:

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basket...ournament.aspx
    On TWC in the Triangle, TruTV HD is channel 1313 (313 for those of you who don't have HD cable boxes).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Kyle can and will take care of himself, but will he continue to try the 3-point shot (he seems really close)?
    Yes, he will keep taking them. His shots today were all on line (except one IIRC) and just a teensy bit short. He's zeroing in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    On TWC in the Triangle, TruTV HD is channel 1313 (313 for those of you who don't have HD cable boxes).
    And for people with DirecTV, TruTV HD just appeared on channel 246-1, just for the NCAA tournament. You can see the first round tip times at: http://eye-on-collegebasketball.blog...83066/27895606. We are listed as 3:10pm (Eastern) on TruTV (afternoon session). Carolina is in the evening session (7:10pm).

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I think there is a very high chance that our Sunday game will be early. As I understand the schedule, CBS will show 3 games, from noon-7pm, and then the remaining 5 games will be on cable in the evening.

I presume that those first two games (noon and 2:30pm) would have to be from the same region given how ticketing works, and of the four Friday/Sunday regions (Charlotte, Cleveland, Chicago, Tulsa), ours seems like it would definitely garner the best TV ratings.