Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burst Bubbles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Burst Bubbles

Buffs, Hookies (shocker!said with sarcasm), 'Tide...

who would be out to make room for any of them?

other notables that surprisingly made it or did not make it?
    Last edited by downtowndevil; 03-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.

meant to say "buRst bubbles". mod pls edit.

R.I.P. Seth

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    R.I.P. Seth
    You haven't heard the last of Seth Greenberg... I can guarantee you that.

UAB & VCU are both surprising. VCU did beat UCLA and Old Dominion and lost to UAB.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    You haven't heard the last of Seth Greenberg... I can guarantee you that.
    Tough West region not withstanding, call my Sunday complete!

Although "Bust Bubbles" works as well.

NO sympathy for you, VPI. Next time try not honking a home game against BC after your signature win.

I would have kicked out either USC or UAB and let in Colorado.

Uab didn't deserve

No at large selection was worse than VCU. That might be the worst at-large pick in the last 5-10 years.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    No at large selection was worse than VCU. That might be the worst at-large pick in the last 5-10 years.
    Up there with Air Force.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Try New Mexico when Kenny Thomas missed the first half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Try New Mexico when Kenny Thomas missed the first half of the season.
    Bilas is hammering the committee. I've never seen him look so frustrated and it seems he has a good case.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Bilas is hammering the committee. I've never seen him look so frustrated and it seems he has a good case.
    Yes, Bilas did a great job hammering the committee. Unfortunately, the couple of "journalists" (Nantz/Kellogg and then what's-his-name Smith on ESPN) who actually got a chance to question the Chair of the Committee completely wimped out and did not ask any tough follow up questions. His answers were vanilla and totally uninformative. His response to each "why not this team" or "why not that team" was essentially "because they didn't get enough votes."

Would've been great to see Bilas or someone else just go after Smith when he gives an answer like that. You know, something like, "Duh. We get that Gene. Of course they're out because they didn't get enough votes. What the public would like to know is WHY they didn't get enough votes. What factors led the committee to invite this team (like VCU) and not this other team (like VT or Colorado). What specifically did VCU do better this year than those other two teams?" Never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yes, Bilas did a great job hammering the committee. Unfortunately, the couple of "journalists" (Nantz/Kellogg and then what's-his-name Smith on ESPN) who actually got a chance to question the Chair of the Committee completely wimped out and did not ask any tough follow up questions. His answers were vanilla and totally uninformative. His response to each "why not this team" or "why not that team" was essentially "because they didn't get enough votes."

Would've been great to see Bilas or someone else just go after Smith when he gives an answer like that. You know, something like, "Duh. We get that Gene. Of course they're out because they didn't get enough votes. What the public would like to know is WHY they didn't get enough votes. What factors led the committee to invite this team (like VCU) and not this other team (like VT or Colorado). What specifically did VCU do better this year than those other two teams?" Never happens.
    Excellent post. Tougher questions ought to have been asked of Gene Smith.

When questionable (read, ludicrous) choices are made like VCU and UAB over Colorado and VT (sorry, but I believe VT should have been selected this year) the TSC chairman needs to defend them with something more than the load of weak sauce that was dribbled out onto the airwaves this past Sunday.

If the questioning of Gene Smith had been sufficiently brisk, maybe it would have served to encourage future TSCs to think about sticking to the stated selection guidelines. It might even have done something to push the NCAA to think about trying to make the selection process a bit more consistent.

If, as Jay Bilas said at one point during Bracketology, the TSC was making its choices with the idea that a school the size of Colorado was doing what it should be doing with the record it had, while a mid major with a challenging out of conference schedule was doing heavier lifting, okay. But that is not what happened.

Who did VCU beat? UCLA at a neutral site. ODU at ODU (who VCU lost to in the CAA tournament). And George Mason in the CAA tournament. UAB did not even finish second in its conference and beat nobody in the RPI top 50. Odd. Very, very odd.

"I wonder if some people on the committee know that the ball is round."

--Jay Bilas

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Every team that fell just short can point to a game that was the difference. In VT's case, it's the home loss to VA. Yes, beating BC probably would have worked, but that VA loss is a lot worse. BC was close to getting in. And again, BC can point to the home loss to Yale.

What was the difference between Clemson and VT? Not much, but looking at the Tigers' results, you'll see that they were in all their games. No one blew them out. That had to help.

Don't get me started on VCU.

I'm a Colorado (CU) alum, and this was a great season for my team (toss-up b/n which team I love more). This year's seniors were losers for their first two seasons, and last year wasn't all that great, although a huge improvement. I applaud their play this year - it was fun to watch.

However, CU played themselves onto the bubble by losing at Georgia, at USanFran, at Baylor, at home to TAMU. CU had a great season, but they played themselves onto the bubble. I'm disappointed, sure...and I think all BuffNation has a reason to be upset with the committee. However, all the whining from fellow CU fans is getting old and annoying. Stop complaining and get over it - it sucks, yes. But this happens every year to a lot of teams. Instead of playing onto the bubble, play like you deserve to be in the tournament...not the bubble.

For what it's worth, I thought Colorado got the biggest shaft, followed by Alabama and then VTech. It's a joke that USC is in...and I can't believe that Penn State made it either...

My complaint with that is how injuries are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Every team that fell just short can point to a game that was the difference. In VT's case, it's the home loss to VA. Yes, beating BC probably would have worked, but that VA loss is a lot worse. BC was close to getting in. And again, BC can point to the home loss to Yale.

What was the difference between Clemson and VT? Not much, but looking at the Tigers' results, you'll see that they were in all their games. No one blew them out. That had to help.

Don't get me started on VCU.
    Virginia with Mike Scott is a pretty different team than Virginia without Mike Scott. It's still a tough loss--any conference loss at home is--but it's not the horrible loss it is otherwise.

While this snub stings worse than the others from a Virginia Tech point of view, the bigger concern is how the ACC was treated in comparison with the Big East, Big Ten, and CAA. Essentially the committee said that 4th in ACC = 4th in the CAA. This perception hasn't hurt Duke yet, but the day could easily come where it does.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieEngineer View Post
    Virginia with Mike Scott is a pretty different team than Virginia without Mike Scott. It's still a tough loss--any conference loss at home is--but it's not the horrible loss it is otherwise.

While this snub stings worse than the others from a Virginia Tech point of view, the bigger concern is how the ACC was treated in comparison with the Big East, Big Ten, and CAA. Essentially the committee said that 4th in ACC = 4th in the CAA. This perception hasn't hurt Duke yet, but the day could easily come where it does.
    In general I agree with your assessment here. But the perennial problem--outside of any one injury--is that VT's OOC sked tends to be awful. And I'm not like all these Greenberg haters and expansion Luddities. I love VT the school, and the mountains, and I welcome y'all and I want y'all to do well. But Seth's OOC sked is usually a mess. There's a reason the same things keep happening to the same people.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    In general I agree with your assessment here. But the perennial problem--outside of any one injury--is that VT's OOC sked tends to be awful. And I'm not like all these Greenberg haters and expansion Luddities. I love VT the school, and the mountains, and I welcome y'all and I want y'all to do well. But Seth's OOC sked is usually a mess. There's a reason the same things keep happening to the same people.
    Greenberg has coached for twenty years at three different schools and earned only three NCAA invites. It ain't the schedules; the guy's just not that good.