Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Burst Bubbles

Even if Colorado's Non-Conf SOS was weak, they were the best team snubbed (except maybe VT). The were more deserving than more than one team that made it.

VCU and UAB are really surprising. Colorado and VT deserve those spots IMO

UAB and VCU in, and Harvard out?

Incomprehensible.

Is anyone watching ESPN and Dick Vitale right now? Saying that comparing Colorado to VCU and UAB is like Rosanne Barr versus Scarlet Johansson in a beauty contest. Absolutely classic.

Jay Bilas is about as upset as he ever gets on teevee about UAB and VCU over Colorado.

Oh well, we're Colorado, we still have spring skiing.

Bilas is awesome--questions whether the committee members know whether the basketball is round.

ESPN's Bracketology is a laugh riot. Dickie V just said Jay was young and you could hear Hubert in the background say "young?"

Uh,oh here comes Gottlieb's opinion.

I think Va Tech got robbed, and while that sucks for the ACC I guess, it really makes me happy. Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Bilas is awesome--questions whether the committee members know whether the basketball is round.
    Bilas refers to inclusion of UAB and VCU as "indefensible." In biggest put-down of all: "People often say a team doesn't pass the eye test. This doesn't pass the laugh test."

VCU and UAB are horrendous decisions, when Colorado, VPI, and Harvard are excluded; I state this despite my abject disrespect for the always-complaing, always-whinning Seth Greenburg and his band of thugs (not all Virginia Tech "student athletes," but certainly more than a few . . . for example, Jeff Allen, who just yesterday got away with an egregious cheap-shot on Dawkins).

Colorado,, 5 wins against the top 50. 3 were against one team, Kansas State. then also beat Tx and Missouri. Their big wins were against teams they had to play, in conference.
    OOC RPI was 325, wow.. if you weren't in their conference,, apparently they played the worst schedule in the world.

These preseason tourneys,, are the only way mid majors get to play major conference teams and not have to play them away only.. UCLA won't go to Richmond to play VCU,, but VCU took advantage of playing them on some neutral court.

Jay Bilas was singing the praises of George Mason,, fine,, but it was the same VCU team that he was trashing that beat George Mason 63-79 in their tournament.

What would the 37 at large teams look like if done by kenpom?

I like that the 31 conference champs get in.

If we then went to kenpom for the next 37, who would be in and who be out as compared to the current field?

Seems like we could just use kenpom and get rid of the committee. The 31 champs would be in, the computer would pick up the undisputed good teams, and the computer would also just pick up the last X teams objectively.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Seth could schedule the teams in his own backyard: Mason, ODU, VCU, Richmond, and others, but he doesn't and then whines. If you're scared, say your scared. Tough for the ACC, but I would've put BC in before VT.

The thing that bugs me is making Clemson part of the first four. The selection committee seems to be saying, "Hey ACC, we think so little of you this year we're only putting four in, and one of you has to play in." The conference was down, but Clemson should not have to pay for it like that.

Agree re VCU, UAB. I could also do without Tennessee and Georgia, who both did poorly in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Seth could schedule the teams in his own backyard: Mason, ODU, VCU, Richmond ...
    Five teams from Virginia:

1. GMU
    2. VCU
    3. Richmond
    4. ODU
    5. Hampton

... and none named "Virginia" or "Virginia Tech" ...

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    One of the best quotes ever. I really did LOL!

Nice to see the ACC getting two #1 seeds... in the Nit.

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/fi...et_3_13_11.pdf

Serious disrespect for Harvard there, only a 6 seed. I guess they though they could sell more tickets at Oklahoma State. Kinda surprised Maryland's not in it; maybe Gary turned the bid down.

Someone on the commitee has it in for Seth imo. Did he sleep with someone's daughter (I doubt it), does someone hate his beliefs (not possible in 2011), did he once fire someone's son (I also doubt that)? Makes you wonder.

Unhappy The TSC Has a Low Regard for the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Someone on the commitee has it in for Seth imo. Did he sleep with someone's daughter (I doubt it), does someone hate his beliefs (not possible in 2011), did he once fire someone's son (I also doubt that)? Makes you wonder.
    The TSC has a low regard for the ACC... aside from Duke and UNC. FSU, clearly the third best team, was given a #10, which places them only among the top 37-40th teams in the country. Clemson was [literally] the last team in at a #12.

I think the ACC got screwed. The Big Ten had 7 of 11 members make the Big Dance; the ACC had 4 of 12. Meanwhile, when the two conferences played head-to-head, they were almost even.

Of course, the alternative explanantion is that the TSC hates Seth Greenberg.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Bilas is hammering the committee. I've never seen him look so frustrated and it seems he has a good case.
    Yes, Bilas did a great job hammering the committee. Unfortunately, the couple of "journalists" (Nantz/Kellogg and then what's-his-name Smith on ESPN) who actually got a chance to question the Chair of the Committee completely wimped out and did not ask any tough follow up questions. His answers were vanilla and totally uninformative. His response to each "why not this team" or "why not that team" was essentially "because they didn't get enough votes."

Would've been great to see Bilas or someone else just go after Smith when he gives an answer like that. You know, something like, "Duh. We get that Gene. Of course they're out because they didn't get enough votes. What the public would like to know is WHY they didn't get enough votes. What factors led the committee to invite this team (like VCU) and not this other team (like VT or Colorado). What specifically did VCU do better this year than those other two teams?" Never happens.