Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Burst Bubbles

Every team that fell just short can point to a game that was the difference. In VT's case, it's the home loss to VA. Yes, beating BC probably would have worked, but that VA loss is a lot worse. BC was close to getting in. And again, BC can point to the home loss to Yale.

What was the difference between Clemson and VT? Not much, but looking at the Tigers' results, you'll see that they were in all their games. No one blew them out. That had to help.

Don't get me started on VCU.

I'm a Colorado (CU) alum, and this was a great season for my team (toss-up b/n which team I love more). This year's seniors were losers for their first two seasons, and last year wasn't all that great, although a huge improvement. I applaud their play this year - it was fun to watch.

However, CU played themselves onto the bubble by losing at Georgia, at USanFran, at Baylor, at home to TAMU. CU had a great season, but they played themselves onto the bubble. I'm disappointed, sure...and I think all BuffNation has a reason to be upset with the committee. However, all the whining from fellow CU fans is getting old and annoying. Stop complaining and get over it - it sucks, yes. But this happens every year to a lot of teams. Instead of playing onto the bubble, play like you deserve to be in the tournament...not the bubble.

For what it's worth, I thought Colorado got the biggest shaft, followed by Alabama and then VTech. It's a joke that USC is in...and I can't believe that Penn State made it either...

My complaint with that is how injuries are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Every team that fell just short can point to a game that was the difference. In VT's case, it's the home loss to VA. Yes, beating BC probably would have worked, but that VA loss is a lot worse. BC was close to getting in. And again, BC can point to the home loss to Yale.

What was the difference between Clemson and VT? Not much, but looking at the Tigers' results, you'll see that they were in all their games. No one blew them out. That had to help.

Don't get me started on VCU.
    Virginia with Mike Scott is a pretty different team than Virginia without Mike Scott. It's still a tough loss--any conference loss at home is--but it's not the horrible loss it is otherwise.

While this snub stings worse than the others from a Virginia Tech point of view, the bigger concern is how the ACC was treated in comparison with the Big East, Big Ten, and CAA. Essentially the committee said that 4th in ACC = 4th in the CAA. This perception hasn't hurt Duke yet, but the day could easily come where it does.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieEngineer View Post
    Virginia with Mike Scott is a pretty different team than Virginia without Mike Scott. It's still a tough loss--any conference loss at home is--but it's not the horrible loss it is otherwise.

While this snub stings worse than the others from a Virginia Tech point of view, the bigger concern is how the ACC was treated in comparison with the Big East, Big Ten, and CAA. Essentially the committee said that 4th in ACC = 4th in the CAA. This perception hasn't hurt Duke yet, but the day could easily come where it does.
    In general I agree with your assessment here. But the perennial problem--outside of any one injury--is that VT's OOC sked tends to be awful. And I'm not like all these Greenberg haters and expansion Luddities. I love VT the school, and the mountains, and I welcome y'all and I want y'all to do well. But Seth's OOC sked is usually a mess. There's a reason the same things keep happening to the same people.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    In general I agree with your assessment here. But the perennial problem--outside of any one injury--is that VT's OOC sked tends to be awful. And I'm not like all these Greenberg haters and expansion Luddities. I love VT the school, and the mountains, and I welcome y'all and I want y'all to do well. But Seth's OOC sked is usually a mess. There's a reason the same things keep happening to the same people.
    Greenberg has coached for twenty years at three different schools and earned only three NCAA invites. It ain't the schedules; the guy's just not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That's usually true, but VT did play some people this year. They *lost* most of those games, but they did at least make some effort to play better competition.