View Poll Results: Who will win the Southwest region?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kansas

28 52.83%
  • Notre Dame

11 20.75%
  • Purdue

7 13.21%
  • Louisville

3 5.66%
  • Vandy

1 1.89%
  • Georgetown

1 1.89%
  • Texas A&M

1 1.89%
  • UNLV

0 0%
  • Illinois

1 1.89%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Notre Dame starts 5 seniors and Ben Hansborough is 23 years old. They wont fold in a big game and they wont choke in a big moment. That's not to say they wont shoot their way into an early exit, but I think ND deserves a loooong look. Their offensive efficiency is good but they are not very athletic (duh!).
    Didn't know Ben was 10 years younger than Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The dream is to have Duke and ND playing on Monday Night.
    Oh, man. Just filled out my bracket with a Duke-ND title game (Duke winning, of course) and I'm getting pumped just thinking about this awesome scenario. It'd be pretty sweet to have two days of leadup to the title game with tons of media coverage of the mentor vs protege story.

A quick word about coaching trees. Obviously, Coach K is not going to have as successful a tree as Dean Smith. So much of what makes Coach K successful is tied up in things that he can't transfer to other people. His personality, his mastery of psychology and ability to read team dynamics and individual emotional swings. Coach K is a natural born leader and Dean was a mathematician (literally a math major at Kansas) with a technically proficient mind who devised an incredible basketball system that he could teach others how to use. (And I'm not saying Coach K isn't technically proficient and Dean wasn't a leader; obviously they were both well-rounded but I think there is a core difference). Dean's tree includes Roy who has won 2 NCs, Larry Brown who won an NC and NBA championship, and even Gut who made a Final Four.

Still, it would be pretty sweet for Coach K to have one protege in Brey make it to the Final Four. It would give Coach K a leg up on Roy in the tree department; afterall, being only 4 years apart in age, Coach K and Roy are actually peers whereas Dean's peer was really Coach Robert Montgomery Knight. And if Brey makes a Final Four, then all of a sudden Coach Knight's tree goes 3 levels deep with Final Fours while Dean's tree only goes 2 levels deep (unless you count Self, but he only spent 1 year as a grad assistant under Larry Brown compared to 8 years as an assistant at Okie St under Sutton and Hamilton). RMK ---> Coach K ---> Brey would be a pretty meaningful lineage. All coach motion offense and emphasize player versatility.
    Last edited by Troublemaker; 03-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Kansas

I have viewed OSU, Duke, Kansas as the top 3 teams for a while now. I think there's enough seperation between them and the next tier that I had a hard time picking against Kansas in spite of the fact that I dont fully trust Bill Self. Pitt is the most likely #1 seed to miss the Final Four, Kansas is next. But they should get there.

The game I struggled with picking the most here is Purdue-Notre Dame in the Sweet 16. Both work hard, are well coached and have hit some nice high notes on the season. I wound up picking Purdue because Notre Dame struggles against better athletes and could go cold from 3.

My upsets are virtually non-existent in this bracket. Hope I dont get wiped out in this region.

Notre Dame starts 5 seniors and Ben Hansborough is 23 years old. They wont fold in a big game and they wont choke in a big moment. That's not to say they wont shoot their way into an early exit, but I think ND deserves a loooong look. Their offensive efficiency is good but they are not very athletic (duh!).
    I like Kansas and the Irish and your point is a good one IMO. FYI, the Devils have the same advantage. Singler is 22 and will be 23 in May; Smith is 22 and will be 23 in July; Miles Plumlee is 22 and will be 23 in September; Mason Plumlee is 20 and will be 21 in May; and Curry is 20 and will be 21 in August. I suspect that all five are old for their class at Duke. Years ago when I coached youth baseball, I always loved having the youngsters whose birthdays were late in the summer on the league all star teams.

gw67

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I like Kansas and the Irish and your point is a good one IMO. FYI, the Devils have the same advantage. Singler is 22 and will be 23 in May; Smith is 22 and will be 23 in July; Miles Plumlee is 22 and will be 23 in September; Mason Plumlee is 20 and will be 21 in May; and Curry is 20 and will be 21 in August. I suspect that all five are old for their class at Duke. Years ago when I coached youth baseball, I always loved having the youngsters whose birthdays were late in the summer on the league all star teams.

gw67
    At the end of the day, I had to pick Purdue over ND. I felt like the athleticism gap was large and was a little worried that ND could not win the Big East after Pitt lost. Old age be darned...

I like Purdue as well and admire their coach for his coaching the last two years without Hummell. They are not as old as Notre Dame or Duke but they have an experienced starting five.

gw67

Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I like Purdue as well and admire their coach for his coaching the last two years without Hummell. They are not as old as Notre Dame or Duke but they have an experienced starting five.

gw67
    Purdue is now down a player, as Kelsey Barlow has been suspended for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...ory?id=6221863

Tough break for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    I have no sound argument for Kansas not advancing to the Final Four, other than, whenever I need and pick a Number 1 seed to lose in a major upset -- Jayhawks always comes through.
    Seriously? You wouldn't pick, I don't know, Pitt? With good teams year in/out, they have made it past the Sweet 16 exactly one time in their history.

KU obviously deserves the criticism, with UNI last year plus the Roy faceplants, but they have now been a #1 seed 4 times under Bill Self. The previous three: E8, F4 (champ), 2nd round.
    Last edited by TexHawk; 03-16-2011 at 02:29 PM.

And this year, Kansas' possible path of Illinois ---> Louisville ---> Notre Dame is very, very tough. Bill Self is not happy with this bracket. That's an emotional second-round game against his former team the Illini, who is very experienced and talented. Then Pitino's Cards and then the offensively-loaded Irish? Wow, that is rough, imo.
    Look, as a KU fan, Illinois scares the crap out of me too. Not sure Bill would enjoy that one. Would much rather have Tennessee.

But, I have to quibble with the bolded statement above. Your "very experienced" Illini are 19-13 this season. The last 3 years: NIT, first-round flameout, no tourney at all (not even NIT). Not sure they qualify as "experienced".

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Look, as a KU fan, Illinois scares the crap out of me too. Not sure Bill would enjoy that one. Would much rather have Tennessee.

But, I have to quibble with the bolded statement above. Your "very experienced" Illini are 19-13 this season. The last 3 years: NIT, first-round flameout, no tourney at all (not even NIT). Not sure they qualify as "experienced".
    I meant experienced as in senior leadership. McCamey, Davis, and Tisdale are seniors and often, it's not an enjoyable experience trying to knockout seniors that don't want their career to end.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Purdue is now down a player, as Kelsey Barlow has been suspended for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...ory?id=6221863

Tough break for the team.
    Hmmmm 5 points 3 boards a game. How big is that? Maybe not a game changer, but he's allegedly a good perimeter defender so that could really hurt in a Sweet 16 matchup with the Irish.

Yep

Hmmmm 5 points 3 boards a game. How big is that? Maybe not a game changer, but he's allegedly a good perimeter defender so that could really hurt in a Sweet 16 matchup with the Irish.
    He's supposedly Purdue's best defender, although he's only played about 48% of Purdue's minutes (maybe he's had injuries?). Purdue doesn't have much size, and he's 6'5", so this makes them even smaller.

Louisville getting skunked

10 - 0 ...6 minutes into the game...

You said it yourself: 6 minutes in. Clemson was up 10 15 minutes in. Please please don't overreact so quickly.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Oh, man. Just filled out my bracket with a Duke-ND title game (Duke winning, of course) and I'm getting pumped just thinking about this awesome scenario.
    Glad I am not the only one. Here's to you and me and the writer from the Baltimore Sun.

Gutsy shot by Demonte Harper. Wreaking havoc on my brackets, but I will shed no tears.

Later, Rick.

Down goes the 'Ville.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Down goes the 'Ville.
    Down goes my first Sweet 16 team. Not that I mind...Pitino looked angry.
    Last edited by superdave; 03-17-2011 at 04:03 PM.

If that same play occurs with 4 minutes left in the game is it a foul?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    If that same play occurs with 4 minutes left in the game is it a foul?
    I don't think that was a foul during any of the game's 40 minutes. What contact there was (which was minimal) was initiated by the shooter. Faried got all ball on the block.