View Poll Results: Who will win the Southwest region?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kansas

28 52.83%
  • Notre Dame

11 20.75%
  • Purdue

7 13.21%
  • Louisville

3 5.66%
  • Vandy

1 1.89%
  • Georgetown

1 1.89%
  • Texas A&M

1 1.89%
  • UNLV

0 0%
  • Illinois

1 1.89%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Discussion thread: Southwest (San Antonio) bracket

Please put all comments on the Southwest/San Antonio bracket in this thread. A poll will be posted asking who you think will win the West after the brackets are announced.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cakewalk for Kansas. Wow. And I live in KS, this is going to be brutal

Why exactly is VCU in the field?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Why exactly is VCU in the field?
    So that VT isn't.

Notre Dame too one dimensional, not a championship team.

Purdue not playing its best ball right now.

Georgetown getting back its point guard, but struggling.

How does KU not make the final 4 with this draw? Wow, just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Cakewalk for Kansas. Wow. And I live in KS, this is going to be brutal
    Don't worry KU will find a way to lose before the regional finals.

Wow, Kansas's draw is like ours last season. Sorry Mike Brey, but I don't think there's a team in this region that can play with them. Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So that VT isn't.
    Looks like only 4 bids for the ACC. The Big Ten teams are very highly seeded.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    So that VT isn't.
    It almost looks like a typo - they meant to write Virginia Tech, but wrote Virginia Commonwealth.

But seriously - VCU is a really, really odd pick.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...
    lol - nice reference!

I disagree that this is a cakewalk (unlike Pitt's potential road to Houston). ND, Purdue and L'ville are all really good teams. Could be harder than a lot of people around here seem to think.

A 10 champ Richmond as a 12! Vandy can't be happy with that.

A poll has been added to this thread.

As an aside, I think this is a reasonably tough bracket. It is hard not to think that some of these BEast teams aren't worthwhile. In ND, GTown, and 'Ville this bracket has three of the BEast teams I fear the most.

-Jason "Purdue is all about being tough... and teams like that are not easy to play" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    A 10 champ Richmond as a 12! Vandy can't be happy with that.
    It's tradition for Vandy to lose in the first round . . . painfully. I guess the selection committee likes their traditions (leaving VaTech out, ensuring Vandy is one of the obvious 4-13, 5-12, 6-11 upset choices). Personally, I like Vandy, as they are the local team here in Nashville and I have some ties to the school and wouldn't mind seeing them put together some magic in the tourney, but I just don't see it happening this year . . . yet again.

I voted Kansas! And I agree with the other poster who said this brackett is tougher than every body is saying. IMO this is by far the toughest brackett

I have no sound argument for Kansas not advancing to the Final Four, other than, whenever I need and pick a Number 1 seed to lose in a major upset -- Jayhawks always comes through.

That and they got some serious Big East hurdles in their way.

17. I agree that this is the toughest bracket. I have Notre Dame advancing to the Final Four -- they have a lot of experienced talent, and as we all know from last year, experienced talent wins in a tournament of unfamiliar foes.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I agree that this is the toughest bracket. I have Notre Dame advancing to the Final Four -- they have a lot of experienced talent, and as we all know from last year, experienced talent wins in a tournament of unfamiliar foes.
    Notre Dame starts 5 seniors and Ben Hansborough is 23 years old. They wont fold in a big game and they wont choke in a big moment. That's not to say they wont shoot their way into an early exit, but I think ND deserves a loooong look. Their offensive efficiency is good but they are not very athletic (duh!).

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowndevil View Post
    Wow, Kansas's draw is like ours last season. Sorry Mike Brey, but I don't think there's a team in this region that can play with them. Paging Ali Farokhmanesh...
    I disagree with you on both counts.

Last year, Duke's draw was tough. Check out the Kenpom rankings from last season (http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2010 ). Baylor was the #6 overall team (a tough Elite 8 draw). Purdue was the #16 team (a fair Sweet 16 draw). And Cal was the #15 team (a VERY tough second round draw). Duke ran the gauntlet to make it to the Final Four.

And this year, Kansas' possible path of Illinois ---> Louisville ---> Notre Dame is very, very tough. Bill Self is not happy with this bracket. That's an emotional second-round game against his former team the Illini, who is very experienced and talented. Then Pitino's Cards and then the offensively-loaded Irish? Wow, that is rough, imo

I would like to hear our resident Jayhawk fan chime in on this. I believe his username is crimson_and_blue or something similar. He's one of the best non-Duke fan posters on DBR.

BTW, no offense to crimsonandblue, but I will be rooting passionately for Notre Dame.

Brey is clearly the crown jewel of Coach K proteges. (At least so far; we will see if JD can turn around Stanford). And this is Brey's best chance to reach a final four.

Notre Dame is offensively loaded and starts 5 seniors. They play beautiful motion offense, have shooters galore, have a great leader and clutch player (unfortunately, a Hansbrough, but still), and have versatile players that can switch and guard different positions.

If ND wins a national championship, it'll be almost like Duke winning a national championship. They're our sister school and we should support them. The dream is to have Duke and ND playing on Monday Night.